Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

30 year old B+W + Zeiss glass . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: 30 year old B+W + Zeiss glass . . . Reply with quote

You probably remember my quandry about developing 126 B+W film and that Larry solved it for me. As a bonus he's scanning the negs for me, but did send a couple samples - these were just quickies with no tweaking.

We were amazed by the results of this 30 year old Kodak B+W film ( Embarassed I forget which film it is. Larry . . .Do you remember?)
Taken with the Contaflex126 with the 2.8 85mm Sonnar . . .
Here goes . . .
I took this while we on vacation - Fort Joseph - "archaelogical" site . . .

These were crops Larry did to check details in regard to the film's graininess . . .

This one I took when I went gear hunting in Toronto . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, nice contrasty images with surprising detail! Good job to you and to Larry for the scanning!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with fresh film, you'll have a VERY fine system with fantastic results.

This old film was from a rag-tag box of Verichrome Pan, Expiration Date of March 1978....of course, you can see the breakdown of the emulsion in the crop photos...but overall it was surprising indeed!

More old Verichrome Pan coming to you, Jim! Use it, and abuse it! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked You get very nice result!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that stands out for me, Jim, is the way the triangular parts of the modern building emulate the triangular shapes of the parapets...this is a FINE composition indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David my stepson thinks the old building in the Gooderham building (often called a flat iron). He sent this link . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooderham_Building

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, it didn't sink in when I read the thread title that this film is 30 years old. Incredible! Am I right that Verichrome is 125ASA? The grain in the crops is still a lot better than I can manage with up to date HP5+ (400)!! It shows the exposure was perfect. Well done! By the way, the old building looks exactly like any Victorian building in London. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jim, it didn't sink in when I read the thread title that this film is 30 years old. Incredible! Am I right that Verichrome is 125ASA?

I think so Embarassed I'll probably know better when I get the old cartridge back that I want to try to reload. The gentleman running the place I take the colour 126 cartridges to (soon to be joined by 120 film) said that B+W when stored properly - fridge/freezer can be used with good results as it is more stable than colour film.

peterqd wrote:

The grain in the crops is still a lot better than I can manage with up to date HP5+ (400)!! Smile

I've actually noticed this myself with 400 ASA colour film that I've pushed to hard exposure wise, so I'd assume that this is a good warning when using fast B+W film to try to get the exposure right.

peterqd wrote:

It shows the exposure was perfect. Well done! By the way, the old building looks exactly like any Victorian building in London. Smile

Thanks Embarassed, I don't know how much credit I can take when I went with the camera's exposure choices. Smile
Toronto does have a strong Victorian pressence architecturally as does many Ontario communities if they're old enough, and since it was built in 1892 for the firm of Gooderham & Worts - whose founders were good Yorkshire folk Smile http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/distillerydistrict.htm

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to verify, it is Verichrome Pan 125.

Jim, the two rolls I threw into the box are also Verichrome Pan,
but I think the expiration is 1989...

Here's an image with Ferrania 126. I think this was with the
85mm Sonnar. The modern film does well, although I can
detect some "grain" which might be improved with Noise
Ninja or a similar tool.

I rather like the tones of Ferrania - slightly warm with a
touch of blue in the reflections (although that might be
because of the blue sky).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Just to verify, it is Verichrome Pan 125.

Jim, the two rolls I threw into the box are also Verichrome Pan,
but I think the expiration is 1989...

Here's an image with Ferrania 126. I think this was with the
85mm Sonnar. The modern film does well, although I can
detect some "grain" which might be improved with Noise
Ninja or a similar tool.

I rather like the tones of Ferrania - slightly warm with a
touch of blue in the reflections (although that might be
because of the blue sky).

Thanks Larry. About the blue reflections, I'm certain it IS the sky, but isn't it curious how our brain switches the blue cast off when we see it with the naked eye but not when we look at a photograph?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I've thought the same thing before. Especially on the coast where there is a lot of blue when the clouds have gone away, leaving the very blue sky. Looking at the surf and tidepools, I don't actually "see" the blue, but when taking pictures, it really shows up. It can be advantageous to use a warming filter if possible, or at least "fix" it in the scanning process or the image editing process. Although with a digital, I bet you could correct it with the white balance.