Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Kodak Ektar 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: New Kodak Ektar 100 Reply with quote

Kodak has come out with a new super fine-grained film to replace UC100. Has anyone tried it yet? From the few samples I've seen, it looks great for landscape work and still-lifes but portraiture might be a bit problematic due to the high contrast involved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was scheduled for release this month but as yet I haven't found anyone in the UK that stocks it.

There is a FAQ on the Kodak site about it and which states that Kodak don't recommend it for portrait use.

I shot Ektar 25 years ago and was looking forward to trying this film to see how it compared. I will definitely be getting a roll whenever it appears on shop shelves though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestyle has it in stock, $4.49 for 36-exp roll.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody over here appears to have it yet Bill, or if they have, they're not saying. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a whole bunch film off ebay including one roll of Kodachome 64. I
don't know where I would send it to have it developed, though. These guys
ran out of Ektar in 2 days:

http://www.pictureline.com/cat/196/_Film_35mm_Color_Negative_Film/?mid=&rent=&closeout=&page=&sortby=&viewall=1

Still want to order some, but at the moment have plenty of Kodak 100.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lab in the whole world still processing Kodachrome is located in the US, Bill:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Dwayne's Photo Service
415 S. 32nd Street
Parsons, KS 67357
US
(620) 421-3940
Toll Free: 1-800-522-3940
Fax: (620) 421-3174

Over this side of the pond, we have to send it to the Kodak lab in Lausanne, Switzerland who then forward it to Dwayne's.... Confused

Thank God for Velvia.... Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have two out of three K64s to finish. I sent the first one off to Lausanne as instructed and got the slides back from Dwaynes after about 3 weeks. I'm going to try sending the next one to Dwaynes direct. I was a bit unhappy with the slides too - still the old Kodak cardboard mounts, but they weren't numbered or dated like they used to be, and they came in a cheap and nasty thin cardboard box, not the familiar handy yellow plastic box.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
The only lab in the whole world still processing Kodachrome is located in the US, Bill:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Dwayne's Photo Service
415 S. 32nd Street
Parsons, KS 67357
US
(620) 421-3940
Toll Free: 1-800-522-3940
Fax: (620) 421-3174

Over this side of the pond, we have to send it to the Kodak lab in Lausanne, Switzerland who then forward it to Dwayne's.... Confused

Thank God for Velvia.... Wink Laughing

Thanks, Bob, sounds like an elongated/extraneous bullshit process. Any
one want a roll of K-64? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ordered 4 36-exp rolls of Ektar along with Portra 400VC and NC in
120. Will post some shots of the Ektar when I can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Kodak Ektar 100 Reply with quote

mjkerpan wrote:
Kodak has come out with a new super fine-grained film to replace UC100. Has anyone tried it yet? From the few samples I've seen, it looks great for landscape work and still-lifes but portraiture might be a bit problematic due to the high contrast involved.

I have a few rolls, but haven't burned it yet. I gave some to a buddy, he burned, scanned and printed some of them. It looks to be VERY good.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Well, I ordered 4 36-exp rolls of Ektar along with Portra 400VC and NC in
120. Will post some shots of the Ektar when I can.

Since Kodak announced the discontuance of 400UC, I went out and tried the newer Portra VC film. It's really good. Now I don't feel so bad about losing the 400UC film.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38463255@N00/sets/72157607710983522/

Russ