Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Optical Co 135/3.8 Exakta mount- A 1950's surprise !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Sun Optical Co 135/3.8 Exakta mount- A 1950's surprise ! Reply with quote

I picked this thing up for very cheap, and I had no particular expectations -

Sun was one of the first Japanese third-party lens makers, along with Arco and Zunow and of course Canon and Nikon, making lenses for German mounts like Leica/Canon and Zeiss Contax/Nikon. Some went into the Exakta market as well. I expect this lens dates to maybe 1957. Captain Jack lists and shows a couple of different versions in his collection.

Its a very well made lens, all chromed brass and fine engraving. The plain brass section was once covered in leatherette I think. This works fine on my Exakta->PK adapter, without infinity focus as I haven't yet figured out how to open this, so the limit is about 30 feet/10 meters.

The surprise - this is a VERY sharp lens, by my standards anyway, at least as good as the Zeiss Triotar if not better, and far better than the Soligor-Exakta 135 I have of about the same era, and better than most of the third-party stuff of the 1970's. Its even sharp at full aperture (albeit its just f/3.8 )

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results! I envy you and your beautiful lenses Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Luis, this is a great finding...
The colours and sharpness are fantastic.
Congrats!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic! Really superb!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect! absolutely great lens - photographer as well!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Luis - that looks like a very fine lens indeed

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've immediately bought one!! Smile,

although faulty- dust and some problem with focus ring, I'll repair it -
we shall see!

Sun Optical 3.8/135 fof EXAKTA with caps and boxed...

excellent contribution, luisalegria!

Thanks - tf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just keeps going on...the "no name" lenses that it was "assumed" are poor lenses, just keep showing their merits, to my great surprise. Wonderful!