Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D2-friendly Nikon lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: 5D2-friendly Nikon lenses Reply with quote

As a relatively new owner of a Canon 5D Mkll I'm still working out which lenses will not cause an issue with it's mirror.

I think I'm right in saying that some Nikon lenses have a metal 'tab' protruding from the rear which would be a problem for me, while others don't.

Is there a general rule of thumb here, which I can abide by, so I don't buy the wrong version of a Nikon lens on ebay?

I am not willing to shave the mirror of my camera, if that means some lenses simply can't be used with it, so be it. That may be my loss, but I'm happy to live with that.

Thanks for any information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5D2 has a Nikon 14-24mm permanently attached to it.

So thats how to make a Nikon lens all manual I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pre-ai Nikkor 24/2.8 that has this protruding tab.
Of course you could shave the tab off. I guess it is just there to protect the rear element when you put the lens down without a lens cap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good place to start: http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Gary.

and now you can use your Super Rotator on FF Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultron wrote:
Of course you could shave the tab off. I guess it is just there to protect the rear element when you put the lens down without a lens cap.

Is that all it's for? The same as my 50/1.2? For some reason I thought it was functional in some way.
I suppose I could just cut it off but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. I have done that a couple of times in the past but I still feel a bit guilty about it. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangelove wrote:
this is a good place to start: http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Nice list, thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Congrats Gary.

and now you can use your Super Rotator on FF Very Happy

I can yeah Cool
I haven't found the time/opportunity to try it yet but I will soon. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Ultron wrote:

Is that all it's for? The same as my 50/1.2? For some reason I thought it was functional in some way.
I suppose I could just cut it off but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. I have done that a couple of times in the past but I still feel a bit guilty about it. Embarassed

If it is an AI-s lens that tab communicate with some cameras like the EM, FG series and FA. I don´t know exactly what it does, but that tab move a lever at the bottom of the mount. On digital cameras I think it doesn't have any function.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the big black tab on the bottom right?

It is so big mirror shaving won't help, the lens will not even mount on my 5D.

Since the tab is on the bottom of the lens, I think shaving half of would allow the lens to mount and give enough mirror clearance.

I don't think this tab has any function, but I must admit I don't know much about the F mount. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since my lens has been DIY AI converted by someone, shaving off another piece would not take anything off the value, but I would not do it with an old Nikkor in good original condition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultron wrote:
You mean the big black tab on the bottom right?

It is so big mirror shaving won't help, the lens will not even mount on my 5D.

Since the tab is on the bottom of the lens, I think shaving half of would allow the lens to mount and give enough mirror clearance.

I don't think this tab has any function, but I must admit I don't know much about the F mount. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since my lens has been DIY AI converted by someone, shaving off another piece would not take anything off the value, but I would not do it with an old Nikkor in good original condition.

Yeah, that's what I see on some Nikon lenses, but not all.
I guess I'll have to look at each individual Nikon lens to judge if they will fit or not. Smile