Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Still Life with Flek 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Still Life with Flek 35/2.8 Reply with quote

I'm practicing a bit with product still life photography. I know it's not a common ballpark here but still MF lenses shine also with this kind of images.

Here it's a wine still life taken with an alu Flek 35/2.8 mounted on my Oly 410.

Consider that it's a very strong backlit picture (the white background is actually a softbox).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So excellent congrats!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila Very Happy

Now I should buy a couple of new studio flashes... I guess I have to put myself to lens diet for a while Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not cheap ones at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
They are not cheap ones at all.

Yep, I found a very nice kit at the right price in UK, actually the same brand of my continuos lights so I know they're of decent quality.

Still with some accessories I should pass the 700 euros, maybe more, but I think it worths the effort as they're good powered and so usable for a lot of years to come.

Unfortunately some shots requires you to have this kind of equipment and I want to learn this branch of photography (it's also great fun).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If continuous lighting works for still life’s what’s the advantage of buying all new flashes. Seems to me continuous lightings advantage is working with the lights illuminated and reading a light meter gets precision ratios... plus the chance to eyeball before you snap. Is flash light better... as I never work with before? My background with lighting has been more orientated to video.

Last edited by Bruce on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is no where near as hot in the room Very Happy

Continuous lights generate a fair amount of heat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuous light perhaps power consumption and produce lot of heat except if cold source.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Continuous light perhaps power consumption and produce lot of heat except if cold source.
If "cold source" you mean florescents... I totally agree. I see some really nice daylight and tungsten color tubes out now... on the cheap.

Last edited by Bruce on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Attila wrote:
If "cold source" you mean florescents... I totally agree. I see some really nice daylight and tungsten tubes out now... on the cheap.

I thought this just I didn't not find right words.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hahaha its ok Attila... I misspelled [Fluorescent] Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have now are cold fluorescent lights. They're excellent when photographing food.
But they're very outpowered confronted to flashes so I have to use long times and this is not always possible, especially if you work with models or you have to freeze some action.
For example I couldn't take a shot like the one above with champagne and moving bubbles.
On the other side I also have to learn to expose with flashes where you have to rely only on their power and the aperture (no time involved except in some cases).