Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The 40-50 mm lens comparison no one needed!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: The 40-50 mm lens comparison no one needed! Reply with quote

Okay, okay... this is more like a small just-for-fun topic, because I'm certainly no lens-tester. But recently I realized that I have a couple of (at least to me) interesting lenses between 40-45 mm and a maximum f-stop of around f/1.8 or f/1.9... When one of my kids brought a Banjo home today from Kindergarden (don't worry, he was allowed to borrow it!) I thought this might be a great opportunity to create a scene for a test shot to compare those lenses.

Why that thought occurred? I really can't tell you. But it did and here I am with a couple of (non-scientific) test shots to compare a handful of lenses I find interesting in terms of close-up quality and rendering. The lenses in question are:

Konica Hexanon AR 40 mm f/1.8

Okaya Optic Highkor 40 mm f/1.8

Kuribayashi Petri Orikkor 4.5 cm f/1.9

Tomioka Tominon C 4.5 cm f/1.9

Agfa Ocellar 5 cm f/?
(likely something around f/2)

All of those were shot wide open, the Agfa Ocellar was thrown in because I've been interested in a.) how fast it really is and b.) because I wondered about its rendering and how it would compare to more conventional lenses. Of course there would be countless options to add if 50 mm was included in general, but that's way outside of what I'm willing to put into something like this at the moment and it surely has been done a number of times (just better) already.

Here are the single shots:

Agfa Ocellar 5 cm f/?

Here's a crop from the center to see the difference in detail and contrast:

Agfa Ocellar 5 cm f/?

And finally here's crop from the lower edge (not quite the corner, but I guess you'll agree it doesn't really make a big difference with these lenses wide open...)

Agfa Ocellar 5 cm f/?

Apart from the fact that some of these lenses could benefit from a proper cleaning, I have to say, that I'm quite surprised about the results:

First of all, if you had asked me for my gut feeling, I would have expected more similarities in the rendering of all those lenses. The Tominon and Petri Orikkor seem to be related, but even with those there are tiny differences.

Secondly I wouldn't have expected the Tominon to be as dominant in terms of sharpness/detail. I was fairly sure that the Hexanon AR would wipe the floor with the rest, particularly because (I believe) it's newer and it also was the only lens which had some kind of improvised hood (because of the way I had to adapt it, it was recessed and so likely shielded the best from stray light, even though that surely this wasn't a harsh situation to begin with). At least in my perception the Tominon clearly is the best in the center and even slightly better at the edge of the frame.

And finally - in terms of how the rendering looks overall - I feel ike it's even more a matter of taste than I would have expected. In this particular shot I like the OOF highlight rendering, as well as the (somewhat softer and lower contrast) images of the Highkor and Ocellar best, but I can immediately think of shots where the crispness of whatever is in focus would make the Tominon my preferred choice. When it comes to versatility the Hexanon AR might make up some ground, particularly because it's known to be very good stopped down and it likely got the best coatings as well. The Petri Orikkor finally... while it didn't fully convince me in this comparison, can also show its unique qualities in different situations, particularly in natural light outside. Will have to see if the Tominon is able to keep up there...

I've no idea if those results would be similar at distance but I'm fairly convinced it would be necessary to stop all of these lenses down considerably (which would be impossible with the Ocellar of course, it being a projection lens) and I also don't see a good reason for using any of those for landscapes, apart from maybe the Konica... well, after this test maybe it would be interesting to see how the Tominon does as well. So perhaps I'll try it and provide an update.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure whats the point of this test, non of those lesnes are made or suitable for such photography.

But yes, they can be used as we see - results could be used for some editorials with a skilled designer.

I think that some of those lenses are from rangefinders?
If yes, please let us know how did you adapt them and if you can use diafragma.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this. Based on these images, my preference goes to the Tominon (contrast, sharpness, uniform bokeh balls).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
im not sure whats the point of this test, non of those lesnes are made or suitable for such photography.

But yes, they can be used as we see - results could be used for some editorials with a skilled designer.

I agree on the "made for" part... but "suitable"? I'm convinced that's entirely subjective. Tried to convey that in my descriptions as well:

simple.joy wrote:
... this is more like a small just-for-fun topic, because I'm certainly no lens-tester.

...to compare a handful of lenses I find interesting in terms of close-up quality and rendering...

...And finally - in terms of how the rendering looks overall - I feel ike it's even more a matter of taste than I would have expected.

I've chosen these lenses particularly because I like what they do at closer distance than they were probably every intended to be used at. And I ultimately even prefer the results of the lenses, which don't provide the best result in terms of pure image quality.

At least to me half of the fun of adapting old/unusual lenses is experimenting. Using them without preconception and without comparing them to modern standards. Of course that's just my approach and I'm glad that many people do vastly different and more in-depth testing with their vintage lenses, because I'm always interested in seeing that as well.

alex_d wrote:
I think that some of those lenses are from rangefinders?
If yes, please let us know how did you adapt them and if you can use diafragma.

Yes, indeed - I think three of those (Highkor, Petri Orikkor, Tominon C) are from rangefinders. Each one of those got a c-mount thread (or something very close to it, because it fits on a C-Mount to M42 adapter) underneath.

The diaphragm is accessible and does work in all three lenses, but with my current (improvised) adaption it isn't what I would call "easily accessible" for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tominon is a clear "winner" as for overall detail and contrast, meantime I like the Orikkor rendering which is punchy. In smartphone screen where you do not see so much of detail it looks even more attractive. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. I'd take the Tominon in this lineup.

When testing my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 I was surprised at the sharpness out to the edges. But the bokeh is a bit eccentric but it will probably win in a landscape test.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The 40-50 mm lens comparison no one needed! Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
Okay, okay... this is more like a small just-for-fun topic, because I'm certainly no lens-tester...

Don't sell yourself short! Smile

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomioka Tominon C 45mm 1.9 is labeled with that name? On which rangefinder?

C-mount has 1" diameter and 32 tpi thread, quite rougher than the #00 Copal shutter size of 25mm with 0.5mm thread, So be careful.
https://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique/Les_obturateurs_centraux.html

My experience with salvaged fixed 45mm lenses of analoge rangefinder cameras shows few that can be used as landscape lenses on FF camera sensors if edge to edge IQ is considered. At best with mid range subjects then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
The Tomioka Tominon C 45mm 1.9 is labeled with that name? On which rangefinder?

According to camera wiki this lens was used on the Wirgin 19e version:
https://www.ebay.at/itm/335439110094

The one I got was a Royal 35M though. It‘s definitely Tominon though, not Tominor.

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

C-mount has 1" diameter and 32 tpi thread, quite rougher than the #00 Copal shutter size of 25mm with 0.5mm thread, So be careful.
https://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique/Les_obturateurs_centraux.html

Thanks - good to know! I‘m using a soft plastic adapter currently, so there is no big risk of damaging the lens. Most of the adapters I use come from Schneider enlarging lenses, which might have been made to Copal-specs anyway.

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

My experience with salvaged fixed 45mm lenses of analoge rangefinder cameras shows few that can be used as landscape lenses on FF camera sensors if edge to edge IQ is considered. At best with mid range subjects then.

You‘re right - just finished some shooting at distance. Some of the rangefinder lenses are excellent in the center, still good close to the border of the frame, but somewhat soft in the corner even at f/8. I like these lenses for the close-up and portrait range first and foremost. For some street photography they might be fine, for architecture likely not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The 40-50 mm lens comparison no one needed! Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I always like to see such comparisons. Never heard of the Agfa Ocellar, but looks interesting. I can easily see in your tests why I like the Highkor, despite its mediocre performance. Those bright edges! You know what I do with those...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 40-50 mm lens comparison no one needed! Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Thanks for that! I always like to see such comparisons. Never heard of the Agfa Ocellar, but looks interesting. I can easily see in your tests why I like the Highkor, despite its mediocre performance. Those bright edges! You know what I do with those...

Thanks! Really nice shot.

The Agfa Ocellar is most likely a 16 mm projection lens with a surprisingly large image circle (the sharp area isn't particularly big though, so it's) mostly useful for central subjects. It has a lot of swirl, but often doesn't show the somewhat busy bokeh of lenses like the Highkor 40 mm f/1.8 or Domiron. I like it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to see a picture of coupling / adapting please,

and for those close ups - i can only admire artistic flare but I will not try it cause its not my thing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
i would like to see a picture of coupling / adapting please,

For a specific lens? They currently require quite different approaches and I haven't tried to find a proper solution for most of them yet. The basic takaway though: Given that I managed to use them on a bellows (which - much to my dismay - is often harder to achieve than directly on a helicoid) it should be possible to adapt most of those lenses to M42, at least if you don't want or cannot use it on its original camera anymore.

alex_d wrote:
and for those close ups - i can only admire artistic flare but I will not try it cause its not my thing

I'm not sure what you mean by "artistic flare"... I've not intentionally tried to create any flare or special effect here, but rather just show how those lenses render close-up and how OOF highlights differ. If you see any flare it surely wasn't my intention but could of course have been caused by flaws in my improvised adaptions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"artistic flare" literary as that and not as 'lens flare',

i could say ' this lens makes an aquarel ..' too ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

Oh, sorry... I really did misunderstand what you meant, then! I think it's called "artistic flair" though, isn't it?

I rarely think of my photography as 'artistic' so that's usually not the first thing which comes to mind...

Anyway, here's how the adaption of one of the lenses (the Tominon, because it was the hardest to get onto my camera) looks:

As you can see I mounted the lens onto a bellows (the one I use is a Novoflex T/S bellows) via a recessed lens board. Because the lens still got a lever sticking out of the shutter part, I had to put a step-ring between the rear part and the lens board. It's impossible to show this, but necessary to get the lens to be mounted evenly. Any solid short tube would work though. I put a 25 mm adapter on the mounting thread of the lens and used a retaining ring in order to get it to stay on the lens board. This is far from ideal in a number of ways, but allows me to try the lens and decide if it's worth getting some custom adapter. In my opinion this lens certainly is, but I have no idea when I will be able to get one, because I have to think of a solution which allows me proper access to the diaphragm.

This likely is an unnecessarily complicated solution for most people, but because I mount almost all of my lenses in this way, it hopefully will help me getting a workable solution for almost any lens somewhere in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
alex_d wrote:

Oh, sorry... I really did misunderstand what you meant, then! I think it's called "artistic flair" though, isn't it?

I rarely think of my photography as 'artistic' so that's usually not the first thing which comes to mind...

Anyway, here's how the adaption of one of the lenses (the Tominon, because it was the hardest to get onto my camera) looks:

well it could be a professional deformation,
but I look often at such photography as 'decorative' or editorial, for print or for web

thnx for pics with bellows - looks like a hassle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://customphototools.com/macro-adapters-for-schneider/

To adapt the lens to a M42 helicoid.

I normally use a 3D printed part with M39 thread + a M39 to M42 metal ring to reduce wear. That way I get the aperture scale upright and infinity more correct. The Yashinon '35' lenses have good helicoids themselves so they are used in the conversion. Looks way better too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

but I look often at such photography as 'decorative' or editorial, for print or for web

None of that sounds very flattering or appreciative, but I may be misunderstanding things again... always quite a drawback of having to use a language which isn't my native tongue.

alex_d wrote:

thnx for pics with bellows - looks like a hassle

While it certainly is from time to time, I also feel like it's well worth it for me, because of the additional options it provides.

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

I normally use a 3D printed part with M39 thread + a M39 to M42 metal ring to reduce wear. That way I get the aperture scale upright and infinity more correct. The Yashinon '35' lenses have good helicoids themselves so they are used in the conversion. Looks way better too.

Thank you, I may have this exact adapter as well (I ordered quite a bit from that site in the past - hope it still works out for its owner Jose!), but this particular one won't work with that lens, unless I cut off the lever at the bottom. Could turn out that's the only workable solution though...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Great info, thanx for this ! Im not in macro but it's good to know where are tools to find and buy

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Can you show it please?
and what yashinon 35? Electro or later modern and smaller GL(?) with 35/1.7 (i think?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
alex_d wrote:

None of that sounds very flattering or appreciative, but I may be misunderstanding things again... always quite a drawback of having to use a language which isn't my native tongue.

well, im gonna make it even more simple:
- when I see such photo I think how could I use it for a background in an editorial (printed magazine) or for a web page also as a background image for a page or a landing page.

Those macro photos are not telling really much, if anything,
but they do have that 'Artistic mystery' (well, it's almost the same as Artistic flair!)

Saying all this- or better, writing it does not have anything to do with flattery or criticism.
It’s purely how I experience (this type of) photography.

You may see it differently if you are being urged to take those photos from another perspective.

I hope it's getting more clear how/why i make comment as I make them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

Thanks for the explanation! I think I get what you mean.

From what people tell me, many others feel like those images do tell them something, but it also happens from time to time, that people tell me they don‘t get the 'point' behind taking shots like this. And that‘s fine, I guess - everyone’s perception is different.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
alex_d wrote:

Thanks for the explanation! I think I get what you mean.

From what people tell me, many others feel like those images do tell them something, but it also happens from time to time, that people tell me they don‘t get the 'point' behind taking shots like this. And that‘s fine, I guess - everyone’s perception is different.

These shots says more than the typical test chart shots used by typical reviewers. But then I'm in the bokeh/rendering crowd rather than the test chart/landscape crowd.

If clear bokeh shape shots are missing from a review I get disappointed and look for a better review! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Great info, thanx for this ! Im not in macro but it's good to know where are tools to find and buy

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Can you show it please?
and what yashinon 35? Electro or later modern and smaller GL(?) with 35/1.7 (i think?)

Yashica 35 Yashinon 4,5cm 2.8 Tessar type, Yashica Lynx 5000 Yashinon 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type, Yashica GS Color Yashinon DX 45mm 1.7 6/4 D.G type. shown here from left to right.

back row side same order, helicoid guides 3D printed, more throw and less play that way.

front row, improvised helicoid guides for the two at the left side, resp. Minolta Hi-Matic 7 Rokkor -PF 45mm 1.8 6/5 Ultron type, Mamiya 35 Super DeLuxe Mamiya Sekor 48mm 1.7 7/5 Nokton type (the Mamiya in the Dutch import disguise named Majamatic), the two at the right side, resp. Fujica 35 V2 Fujinon 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type, Petri 7 Petri 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type. The last two with the M42 thread adaptation, the Petri with the short Chinese, brass on brass, double helicoid attached, 3D printed focusing ring added for ergonomy.

Fuji 35 EE, V2, etc compact rangefinders have a convenient focusing system with a gliding tube in the camera but that can not be used in the conversion. The Petri was first converted with its own helicoid but it just did not work nicely and the throw was limited so it became an odd M42 lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

well, i have to keep explain my self again i see ..

For me, It's about the photography and not about 'lens rendering.. micro contrast .. corners .. 3d-pop..'.

However, I'm interested in lens character, but I'm more interested in what a particular picture tells/represents.

And yes, I do understand that this is collector/bokeh/**** forum first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
alex_d wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Can you show it please?

Yashica 35 Yashinon 4,5cm 2.8 Tessar type, Yashica Lynx 5000 Yashinon 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type, Yashica GS Color Yashinon DX 45mm 1.7 6/4 D.G type. shown here from left to right.

back row side same order, helicoid guides 3D printed, more throw and less play that way.

front row, improvised helicoid guides for the two at the left side, resp. Minolta Hi-Matic 7 Rokkor -PF 45mm 1.8 6/5 Ultron type, Mamiya 35 Super DeLuxe Mamiya Sekor 48mm 1.7 7/5 Nokton type (the Mamiya in the Dutch import disguise named Majamatic), the two at the right side, resp. Fujica 35 V2 Fujinon 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type, Petri 7 Petri 4,5cm 1.8 6/4 D.G. type. The last two with the M42 thread adaptation, the Petri with the short Chinese, brass on brass, double helicoid attached, 3D printed focusing ring added for ergonomy.

Fuji 35 EE, V2, etc compact rangefinders have a convenient focusing system with a gliding tube in the camera but that can not be used in the conversion. The Petri was first converted with its own helicoid but it just did not work nicely and the throw was limited so it became an odd M42 lens.

this is great!
i need some time to digest this, and i'll be back,

Thank you Ernst for this info.