Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

After all these years it's quite surprising finding a (quite common and very cheap) vintage lens here that isn't already covered in a multitude of threads... so I'm not sure if that's a bad sign and means no one has shown any interest in adapting this lens at all! Regardless, I was so pleasently surprised by the Schneider Kreuznach Radionar 80 mm f/2.9 I got recently, that I just had to try this shorter focal length version as well.

It came on a broken Adox camera with Compur shutter and despite all my attempts I wasn't able to get the shutter to open at all. (I usually try that first in order to keep the whole shutter/lens combo intact as much as possible). Thankfully there's often another way with Schneider lenses... and so I looked through some vintage enlarger lens bodies and found one I was able to use to get the Radionar L lens elements in there. The result is an incredibly tiny, light and (at least in my eyes) elegant lens to use on a bellows or helicoid.

The Componon body has lots of aperture blades which is a nice bonus. Here are some results:

A cheap triplet perhaps, but quite a bit more fun than I had expected.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

A cheap triplet perhaps

I believe it is the triplet with an Lanthanum glass. To which points 2.8 lens aperture.

Something like Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan 50mm F 2.9

However Trioplan doesn't makes that kind of "bulbs" if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

A cheap triplet perhaps

I believe it is the triplet with an Lanthanum glass. To which points 2.8 lens aperture.

Thanks for the information. Very interesting... is that what the L stands for? Why is f/2.8 an indicator for that? I thought this was quite normal for later Triplets...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
I thought this was quite normal for later Triplets...

No, for the common triplets 2.8 is completely abnormal. It is abnormal even for the common Tessars.

And, of course, I really like triplets with Lanthanum glass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old radionar on a folder around here somewhere- probably around 75mm.
It needs a cleaning, but still has decent contrast levels on B&W film.

Is the monochrome above a conversion, or in-camera monochrome?

Which leads to something I've been noticing lately around here...
There's a lot of imagery being displayed here with very little, or no, image making information, and no mention of p/p.

Some of us are still learning this stuff- any information provided can become an invaluable guide at times...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I've got an old radionar on a folder around here somewhere- probably around 75mm.
It needs a cleaning, but still has decent contrast levels on B&W film.

Is the monochrome above a conversion, or in-camera monochrome?

Which leads to something I've been noticing lately around here...
There's a lot of imagery being displayed here with very little, or no, image making information, and no mention of p/p.

I've seen great shots made with the 75 mm Radionar, so it may be worth it.

The monochrome shot is a conversion in post and the contrast has been increased quite a bit there. Here's an auto conversion, likely a bit closer to an in-camera B&W shot, however those can be adjusted quite a bit as well...

I don't mention exact parameters, because I don't know some of them. I think I used something like f/5.6 here, the shutter speed was 1/1000 sec and it was shot at ISO 800. Focus was certainly off from where it should have been, but it had just started to rain so I had to act fast and put my (non water proof) bellows setup out of harms way.

The other shots I've shared were all shot wide open. They're all processed (usually a slight increase in contrast and some color-adjustments) but only what I would perceive as a modest amount of post-processing.

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Some of us are still learning this stuff- any information provided can become an invaluable guide at times...

-D.S.

I'm one of those people still learning most of that stuff, so I usually don't think the (likely less than ideal) parameters I'm choosing may be of interest. But if people want to know I'm happy to share what I remember.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that I made such close pics but this reminds me very very strong on Domiplan and fuji 55/2.2 (on a good day),

so that would be a cheap(er) option I suppose to that schenider lens.

However, it still looks good, those pics. It comes down to the craftsman, the tool is always the secondary

Im not fond of those bubbles but .. i understand that people like soapy stuff.

BW pic of the old city, how much is PP-ed and IF - what exactly?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

Very nice shots! And the lens transplant looks like it's supposed to be fitted like that well done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

However, it still looks good, those pics. It comes down to the craftsman, the tool is always the secondary

Thank you very much! I posted a SOOC conversion of the B&W image as well to compare. I‘m sure it would need less adjustment shot at f/8 with the correct focus point though…

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Schneider Kreuznach Radionar L 45 mm f/2.8 (modified) Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Very nice shots! And the lens transplant looks like it's supposed to be fitted like that well done!

Glad you think so - thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
alex_d wrote:

Thank you very much! I posted a SOOC conversion of the B&W image as well to compare. I‘m sure it would need less adjustment shot at f/8 with the correct focus point though…

It is a very interesting image, regardless of how it was made, and a reminder to me to get that roll of B&W through the F2 before it expires Wink
No complaints on the focus or anything else.
Possibly you are a bit like my sister who is gifted with a very good eye~ even her phone pix make mine pretty pale in comparison.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

nice thanx, as I supposed it was quite heavily PP-ed.

Is it done in general automatically with some software or you did it manually ?

sharpening and micro-contrast is quite uniform jacked-up so I supposed it was a general sharpening/contrast of the image as a whole ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Quote:

nice thanx, as I supposed it was quite heavily PP-ed.

Is it done in general automatically with some software or you did it manually ?

sharpening and micro-contrast is quite uniform jacked-up so I supposed it was a general sharpening/contrast of the image as a whole ?

Most of it was done selectively! I wanted to use it for a weekly flickr themed group which had the theme "silhouette", which is why I‘ve darkened certain areas way more than i usually would. Ultimately decided against using it for theme - just didn‘t fit. I generally prefer significantly less contrast and more nuance when it comes to B&W. But sometimes it‘s fun to crank it up a notch as well.

All of the post processing was done in Photoshop, which is the only tool I use for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx.
very good PP. I really dont know where to place you,
with your communication that makes you come over as a talented enthusiast,
but your work is much above that ..