Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax - K 30mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax - K 30mm/2.8 Reply with quote

Some shots of the flower carpet on the Grand Place last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the few K lenses I've never tried. Great looking images.

What do you think of the oddball focal length?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens, never tried one.

EDIT: strangely enough, the images don't look sharp @ full size. Could this be an upload problem?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

EDIT: strangely enough, the images don't look sharp @ full size. Could this be an upload problem?

Same here

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

This must be an upload problem. My shots are sharp, even at full size.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Hmm, yeah, pixel peeping at the full sized, they do look rather front-focused, with the flowers in the front sharper and the buildings slightly out of focus. They also almost look like they might have some rather heavy NR applied, but judging by the EXIF, this is on an A7ii at ISO100 at 1/800 sec, so I guess not?

I've never shot with an A7ii - do they have the thicker sensor glass that is known to cause problems with vintage wides?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Hmm, yeah, pixel peeping at the full sized, they do look rather front-focused, with the flowers in the front sharper and the buildings slightly out of focus. They also almost look like they might have some rather heavy NR applied, but judging by the EXIF, this is on an A7ii at ISO100 at 1/800 sec, so I guess not?

I've never shot with an A7ii - do they have the thicker sensor glass that is known to cause problems with vintage wides?

I’m pretty sure this is not the lens or the camera. I’ve used the first Sony A7 with wide angles without issues.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that the shots do not appear sharp at full size has nothing to do with the lens or the camera. My shots are sharp and this is an excellent lens for the Sony A7 II. I had, and still do, problems with uploading photos to this website. I regularly get the error message 410 page. What the cause is, remains a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to see these shots on full res , there are are some other sites to upload files and share link, nice place anyway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
The problem that the shots do not appear sharp at full size has nothing to do with the lens or the camera. My shots are sharp and this is an excellent lens for the Sony A7 II. I had, and still do, problems with uploading photos to this website. I regularly get the error message 410 page. What the cause is, remains a mystery to me.

kiddo wrote:
i would like to see these shots on full res , there are are some other sites to upload files and share link, nice place anyway

These shots, if you click on them are full res. The Sony A72, which these were taken on, outputs images at 6000x4000. And if you click on these images and view the large size, they are .... 6000x4000.

While they may be recompressed, which can degrade quality a bit, the main problem is quite obviously that all except for pic 3, which I suspect was taken at a smaller aperture, are front focused.

Here's a 100% crop from the flowers at the foreground of pic 1, which has reasonably sharp edges, despite being located fairly close to the edge of the frame:

And here's the crowd on the balconies of the building in the background, which is obviously out-of-focus:

And more examples from pic 4:

Folks in front, focused:

Crane in background, not focused:

No need for anyone to get defensive or blame the forum. It's probably just an adapter that is slightly out-of-registration.

Also, incidentally, an error 410 wouldn't have anything to do with the quality of an uploaded image. It's a standard HTML error code that is just saying a resource is unavailable, i.e. the server can't find the correct page/asset to display. Whatever back-end codec the site uses to recompress/resize images wouldn't be affected either way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens. Plenty sharp. This was taken on my K-1 at F11 (scaled down for flickr)

Same image but hosted not here, but on Flickr
Street View by The lens profile, on Flickr

Clearly the flickr image is less compressed, but not to the amount it would look very unsharp.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

It's probably just an adapter that is slightly out-of-registration.

I think you are right and that the cause of my problem is due to the adapter. I mounted another adapter and took the following picture taken at f11. In my opinion the focus is much better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a fun focal length. I'm certain this lens existed only so that Pentax marketing could say they had 20, 30, 40, and 50 available, followed by 100, 200, 300, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

It's probably just an adapter that is slightly out-of-registration.

I think you are right and that the cause of my problem is due to the adapter. I mounted another adapter and took the following picture taken at f11. In my opinion the focus is much better.

Much better!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see it focused on close distance but infinity i don´t see details; unless is a upload issue, there might be a problem with the lens or the adapter (if there would be adapter problem, you could try another lens on the same adapter to see results for infinity) - but if you say on your pc you can see details on infinity or medium distance, maybe uploading through another site would give some better results

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, the M series 28mm f2.8 V1 and the K series 28mm f3.5. My experience with it is that it is not *really* worth the price - there’s no improvement in IQ over my sample of the M series 28mm. If anything, it’s not as sharp.

Not to say it’s a bad lens by any stretch of the imagination however. I particularly enjoy it for close up images.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a great modern rendering lens. The prices are higher because it has a collector value, since not many were made like the Pentax-m 28/2.8 (which is under valued because it is so ubiquitous).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my copy of the K30/2.8....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72177720296265142/