Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filter for fluorescent light (film photography)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Filter for fluorescent light (film photography) Reply with quote

While the weather at the moment offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor photography, eventually November is going to come around which in this part of the world means no sun, gray skies, wind and rain. Long story short, I will probably be taking more and more pictures indoors, including places with fluorescent lighting.

For my digital camera this isn't a problem since the AWB takes care of it. However, in the past few months I have been exploring and enjoying film photography. A while back I took a few pictures under fluorescent lights with daylight balanced film and the results were as I had expected: green. My understanding is that you "need" an FLD (?) filter / magenta filter to correct for this.

Question is this: Since the local (online) camera stores don't carry these anymore, I will probably have to resort to eBay. I have found a few no-brand FLD filters, but to be honest I am a bit hesitant about putting a no-brand filter in front of my lens. Any recommendations or alternatives short of scanning and correcting in post?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more searching goes a long way. Just found that Hoya makes FL-D and FL-W filters. This is a company I know and trust.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
A little more searching goes a long way. Just found that Hoya makes FL-D and FL-W filters. This is a company I know and trust.

Regards, C.

Be sure to let us know how this works for you.

I'm not sure if you are going to find processing that won't require a little in-put from you- old style chemical printed prints are getting harder to obtain.
If you do go the scanning route, be sure to let the processor know you are shooting under fluorescent light with a compensating filter.

-D.S.