Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An exceptionally bad Vivitar Kino 28mm f2.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: An exceptionally bad Vivitar Kino 28mm f2.5? Reply with quote

Ran some test photos with this lens and want to get some feedback. I had my camera just auto-set the exposure but took 2 pictures of each, one at 5.6 (pictures to me are unacceptably soft/blurred at 2.5), the second at F11 or F16.

Some possible confounding factors:
--I'm still getting acquainted with this Sony A5000 and focusing on a not particularly good LCD screen is challenging in bright light, but I relied on focus peaking. Center of picture should be sharp.

--I had seen what looked like very fine dust or debris when shining light in the lens and opened up the lens. There was the back lens and the the front group of lenses that are housed together. The debris appears to be in the latter part of this lens group. In theory I could open the front lens of the group and get at the inner lenses as I can see there are divots to remove the inner lenses, but the front lens appears to be glued shut.
I carefully put everything back in sequence and nothing felt like it was being tightened out of alignment, but I may have caused some of this.

I don't think just fine debris would cause this almost Helios-like effect. Any different perspectives on this would be appreciated. I can appreciate this effect in general but I would have expected Kino lenses to be more sharp to the edges than this. I have other Vivitars but they are Komine and Tokina varieties, which themselves, while generally middling, are more sharp than this overall.

Tree at f5.6

Tree at f11

Vine at f5.6

Vine at f11

Branch at f5.6

Branch at f16

EDIT:
I decided to go back and take the last shot at f2.5 for you to decide yourself on whether it's too soft/blurred

[/code]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something loose inside?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
something loose inside?

No rattles whatsoever. aperture ring and focusing ring are operating as smoothly as any lens I've used.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the adapter might be a factor? no glass inside this as the depth compensates for the flange/focal distance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly something wrong with your lens. I have some samples of the 2.5/25mm and may be able to post an image taken with a 16 MP APS-C camera. I'd guess that either a single lens has been reversed or that a distance between two lens groups isn't as it should ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that lens is same as panagor 28/2.5 - then something is wrong with your lens.

if that lens is not the same as panagor 28/2.5 - then something is wrong with your lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 2.5 28mm Vivitar and despite its not a very good lens the performance is far, far better then the pictures you show here. I completely follow stevemarks theory of a damaged repair or assembly.
You need a working example to compare the assembly.

BG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. with the consensus indicating something terribly wrong I suspcted my opening up the lens on the last go may be the culprit. The lens suction cup kit I just received in the mail today came in handy Smile

According to lens-db.com, this is the lens design:

Mine is a later dedicated M42 lens and not the "Pyramid" Kino T-mount, and it has 6 blades instead of 8, but I figured this would be a good enough guide to go off of. The vertical line delineates the front group from the rear group, and the parentheses-shaped lens was flipped 180 degrees and was first in the sequence from left to right. I placed the grouped doublet at the beginning of the sequence and reset the other lens in the correct configuration. just looking through the viewfinder appears to be improved, but I'll take pictures in the same area tomorrow (as long as it doesn't decide to rain all day) to verify my results.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting character lens for portraits?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
if that lens is same as panagor 28/2.5

The VIVITAR lenses starting with serial no 22 are made by Kino Precision and generally have a good reputation.
Panagor and Kiron were brand names from Kino Precision.

BG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightdreamer wrote:
alex_d wrote:
if that lens is same as panagor 28/2.5

The VIVITAR lenses starting with serial no 22 are made by Kino Precision and generally have a good reputation.
Panagor and Kiron were brand names from Kino Precision.

BG

Many moons ago I have been comparing the above Vivitar / Kiron 2.5/28mm with a Minolta MC-II 2.5/28mm. While the Minolta was better indeed, the (much newer!) Vivitar was not that much worse than the Minolta. I may re-run the test today and show the results.

S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lens could work for a portret and a full dark with a flesh

regarding panagor lens version and other legends: my lens is is this one, as new
https://allphotolenses.com/public/files/img/39207f657e85143c3a692c514bb29abb.JPG

i took it out and t reminded my self why im not using t any more; weight and length.

pic quality is good for an vintage lens. so its for sell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really seems like someone put an element in backwards to me. Generally, I've found this lens to be a surprisingly good performer throughout its various iterations.

Most likely, the offending element is found in the rear cell, as this is where these tend to haze up and require service. Best guess is the rearmost element.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least we're at improved, over the earlier pictures...

Went back to the prominent dead branch, focused on the briar vine just off center, and took the following pictures (ISO and exposure varied as I just had the camera on program):

@ f2.5:

@ f5.6

@ f16

After this I tried a hyperfocal distance exercise. I set the exposure manually to 1/30, lens at f11, and set focus between 5-10 feet according to the f11 lens markings, and tried doing some walk-around pictures around my office, bumping ISO to have the EV at 0. It seems hit and miss and I'm wondering if focus needs to be fixed or if it's just camera shake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks ok now to my eyes. Gratulation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your recent pic's are ok. I've got three of these lenses, two Kiron - M42 & Minolta mount, and a Tokina with Vivitar's TX mount. None of them are bad lenses at all, but I haven't 'tested' them against the only other 28 / 2.5 lens I have - a Tamron Adaptall 2 02B, which has a very good reputation. And it would be unfair to judge it against the 28 / 2.8's that every big maker made.
The 2.5 lens is about 28% faster than a 2.8 so it's a nice lens to have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the panagor.

These are test pics I took of the castle - pentax K3-ii (24MPX apsc). I have taken same pics with a number of 28mm lenses, I find that most do seem to exibit some field curvature so the end turrets are hard to get sharp, even stopped down a bit. But centre frame this lens is pretty much as sharp as most.

F2.5 click to get full sized..

F8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Your recent pic's are ok. I've got three of these lenses, two Kiron - M42 & Minolta mount, and a Tokina with Vivitar's TX mount. None of them are bad lenses at all, but I haven't 'tested' them against the only other 28 / 2.5 lens I have - a Tamron Adaptall 2 02B, which has a very good reputation. And it would be unfair to judge it against the 28 / 2.8's that every big maker made.
The 2.5 lens is about 28% faster than a 2.8 so it's a nice lens to have.

i have both canon nFD 28mm f2 and f2.8 , on FF the f2 is very unusable but the 2.8 is doing fine, my son is using the f2 on XT1 apsc with nice results for portraits. I almost got the hollywood f2 c/y for a very good price, but a bit cheaper i went for the k version 28mm 3.5 as i am looking for one of the best landscape lens on this FL, so i guess it all depends on what expectations do we have from any lens, there are no bad lenses (general speaking), but some would fit better for a task than others.