Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon series E 75-150mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Nikon series E 75-150mm Reply with quote

OK, this one might be a bit controversial.

I have owned a Nikon series E 75-150mm for a few years now. The reviews online say it is a very good lens (and I wouldn't doubt that).

The thing is, I never use it because I find the ergonomics of it to be abysmal. Not only because I dislike "one touch" zooms, but because it suffers from all the problems I associate with one touch zooms. It is correctly called a "slide zoom" in that you don't need to use your hands to zoom the lens. Just point the camera up or down. Camera down, "clunk" and you are at 75mm. Point the camera up, "clunk", you are at 150mm. Focusing also tends to zoom the lens; if you are at 75mm and closest focus, then turning the ring to infinity also zooms in to about 110 (ish)mm.

I am fairly sure the answer is a firm "no", but is there any way to alleviate the ergonomics a bit? Mine is the version without the chrome ring, my assumption is that the version with the chrome ring is going to be exactly the same in this respect (allowing for individual variation between lenses)?

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon series E 75-150mm Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Point the camera up, "clunk", you are at 150mm.

Yep, that was (is) a feature, not a fault ... Smooth and "forceless" zooming was important for creating the typical "zoooom" images where focal length was changed during exposure.

connloyalist wrote:
Focusing also tends to zoom the lens; if you are at 75mm and closest focus, then turning the ring to infinity also zooms in to about 110 (ish)mm.

I don't understand what you mean - my sample stays at f=75mm when focusing from "infinity" to "1m" or vice versa ...

connloyalist wrote:
Is there any way to alleviate the ergonomics a bit?

Probably not - but others may know more ...

connloyalist wrote:
Mine is the version without the chrome ring, my assumption is that the version with the chrome ring is going to be exactly the same in this respect (allowing for individual variation between lenses)?

My sample is one with a chrome ring, and zooming is very easy ... probably the same as with yours!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, most single touch zooms from that era suffer from the resistance-less slide action. Even the Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 N does it. From what I've read on-line, that over-looseness has something to do with the deterioration of the lubricants used on the zoom collar over time. Out of all the zooms I have around here, only two do not do that- both nikkors- the 35-105 f3.5-4.5, and the 28-85 f3.5-4.5, which is a twin ring, but can be operated as a single touch.

As to the "E", most agree that the E designated an economy line, and there were some short cuts taken where some normal metal operating parts were replaced with plastic. I have yet to meet an E that doesn't groan while focusing at around +1 or 2 degrees c., and that was a bit of a sticking point with me.

Optically, your lens has received some very good reviews, and has a bit of a cult following, but as you say, the ergonomics are far less than desirable.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon series E 75-150mm Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

connloyalist wrote:
Focusing also tends to zoom the lens; if you are at 75mm and closest focus, then turning the ring to infinity also zooms in to about 110 (ish)mm.

I don't understand what you mean - my sample stays at f=75mm when focusing from "infinity" to "1m" or vice versa ...
S

I think I know what Christine means; I have encountered it on some single-touch zoom lenses myself, like My Minolta MD 75-200/4.5.

I'm not familiar wit this particular lens, but much depends on the construction of the lens (pitch of the zoom cams at the chosen zoom setting relative to the pitch of the focus helicoid, condition of the lubrication, and the condition of the dust seal(s) used under the focus grip). In particular if there is a wire spring covered in a nylon/delrin tube underneath the focus grip, the groove on the inside of the focus grip that this spring wire is supposed to be able to slide in needs to be spotlessly clean and not be covered in dust, otherwise the problem mentioned can occur.

The only solution I can think of is disassembling the lens, re-lubricating the zoom groups with a slightly thicker grade grease, and cleaning/reconditioning the dust seal(s) underneath the focus scale on the focus grip (and spring wire & groove if this lens has one).

But again, I'm not familiar with this particular lens; Nikon zoom construction details will undoubtedly be somewhat different from those commonly used by Minolta.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon series E 75-150mm Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:

connloyalist wrote:

S

I think I know what Christine means; I have encountered it on some single-touch zoom lenses myself, like My Minolta MD 75-200/4.5.

I'm not familiar wit this particular lens, but much depends on the construction of the lens (pitch of the zoom cams at the chosen zoom setting relative to the pitch of the focus helicoid, condition of the lubrication, and the condition of the dust seal(s) used under the focus grip). In particular if there is a wire spring covered in a nylon/delrin tube underneath the focus grip, the groove on the inside of the focus grip that this spring wire is supposed to be able to slide in needs to be spotlessly clean and not be covered in dust, otherwise the problem mentioned can occur.

The only solution I can think of is disassembling the lens, re-lubricating the zoom groups with a slightly thicker grade grease, and cleaning/reconditioning the dust seal(s) underneath the focus scale on the focus grip (and spring wire & groove if this lens has one).

But again, I'm not familiar with this particular lens; Nikon zoom construction details will undoubtedly be somewhat different from those commonly used by Minolta.

Yes, that is indeed what I meant. Apologies for causing confusion. Simply put, rotating the focusing ring without zooming will cause the zoom to move.

With respect to the stiffness (or lack thereof) of the zoom ring, on my lens it depends on the position of the focus. At near focus the zoom more or less flops about. At infinity it gets a little traction towards the 150mm end but is very loose at 75mm. If focus is set about halfway in between (around 3 meters or so) then there is a stiffer section around 100mm but it is looser at both the 75mm and 150mm ends.

Problems like these are why I prefer to avoid one touch zooms, although of the few one touch zooms I own this one is by far the worst. The 2 ring zooms are unfortunately heavier (which is an important factor for me), and one touch zooms were apparently popular / fashionable from some point in the 1970's or so until AF lenses came around.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that Nikkors / Nikon lenses often suffer from stiffness. You could Try to find the Pentax-M 75-150mm f/4, it’s sort of overlooked,so cheap, and mechanically very good. Optically as well, at most settings at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon series E 75-150mm Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Nikon explicitely has been advertising the exceptionally smooth (ner resistance-free) operation of theor zomming mechanism back in its time. It was a feature, not a bug.

Go for the Minolta 70-160 if you prefer more resistance!

S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically: https://www.instructables.com/Fix-Loose-Lens-Zoom-Ring/

Plenty of videos on youtube.com such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glz9XafJlX0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAP7VmwdJI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon 50-135 f3.5 one touch. It would zoom creep when I got it. Had a CLA done and replaced the felt ring that damps the sliding mechanism and it's fine. No more creep. Perhaps that would help your 75-150.