Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses with floating elements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Lenses with floating elements Reply with quote

It is my understanding that years / decades after a lens that has floating elements was built, these floating elements can start to cause problems in terms of reduced optical quality.

First, is my understanding correct? And if yes, is there a way to determine if a lens has floating elements?

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, floating elements if the rear element does not move as lens is focused.

Also iirc, there are problems especially with wide angle lenses that have floating elements combined with inaccurate adapters.

More info here: https://forum.mflenses.com/who-made-the-first-floating-element-design-t47591.html

Use forum search for "floating" for more topics here...such as https://forum.mflenses.com/wa-with-floating-element-and-adapter-t73811.html

The focusing mechanics of lenses with floating elements are of course more complex. Improper realignment after servicing, or through usage is also possible especially if something comes loose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thank you. One of the answers in that first topic indicates this is not the issue I am/was having.

Regards, C

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Interesting, thank you. One of the answers in that first topic indicates this is not the issue I am/was having.

Regards, C

What issue? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you may remember me saying at some point that my Minolta MD 35-70 (the good one) is pretty bad. Consensus on that was that I must have a bad copy. Then the other day I remembered that I used to have a Minolta MD 28mm 2.8 which is equally bad. I know it is not a generic Minolta problem because I have a 135mm 3.5 and a 200mm 4.0 that are both stellar.

So I was thinking maybe a floating elements problem? But one of the posters in the other topic listed the Minolta primes with floating elements and the 28mm 2.8 isn't one of them.

Nevertheless, I am bit hesitant to dive deeper into Minolta lenses because twice now I have had lenses that are really pretty lousy. Shorter focal lengths not working well on crop camera's? Or maybe just bad luck?

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember...could be older wide lenses just aren't that good, especially on m43 sensor? How are your other older wide angles on m43? Is the small dense m43 sensor so demanding? I look forward to input from more knowledgeable members!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I remember...could be older wide lenses just aren't that good, especially on m43 sensor? How are your other older wide angles on m43? Is the small dense m43 sensor so demanding? I look forward to input from more knowledgeable members!

I will have to retest some of my wide lenses, but I as I remember the Nikon F and Olympus OM 24mm 2.8's are fine. So far for me this has been a problem specific to Minolta, oddly. And I would like to know the why and how.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the Minolta manual focus SR mount 28mm lenses the f/2 is the only one with floating elements. The f/2.8 and f/3.5 do not have floating elements.

Personally I have no bad experiences with any of my Minolta lenses (approx. 250 of them), other than the odd copy here and there with haze. But I don't use them on crop cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lenses with floating elements Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
It is my understanding that years / decades after a lens that has floating elements was built, these floating elements can start to cause problems in terms of reduced optical quality.

First, is my understanding correct? And if yes, is there a way to determine if a lens has floating elements?

Regards, Christine

The Canon FD lenses with their cams + nylon bearings movements will suffer of wear on the nylon over time and with floating elements in primes and zooms that becomes even more a problem than in a simple one unit focusing scheme.