Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coralroot Orchid
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Coralroot Orchid Reply with quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corallorhiza

With Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 MC 1:1 Macro Telephoto (Kiron) @f/8 Sony A7R2:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm gonna drag the tripod down there tomorrow to try for better photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Some nice horsetails (Equisetum) too; together with ferns one of the oldest plant genera still found on Earth, some 350-360 million years they have been around! Very invasive given the right conditions, so I hope that's not your garden....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from any human gardens! From Wikipedia page:
Quote:
Most species are putatively parasitic, relying entirely upon mycorrhizal fungi within their coral-shaped rhizomes for sustenance. Because of this dependence on myco-heterotrophy, they have never been successfully cultivated. Most species are leafless and rootless. Most species produce little or no chlorophyll, and do not utilize photosynthesis. An exception is the yellowish green species Corallorhiza trifida, which has some chlorophyll and is able to fix CO2. However, this species also depends primarily on fungal associations for carbon acquisition.[5][6]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Quote:
Most species are putatively parasitic, relying entirely upon mycorrhizal fungi within their coral-shaped rhizomes for sustenance. Because of this dependence on myco-heterotrophy, they have never been successfully cultivated. Most species are leafless and rootless. Most species produce little or no chlorophyll, and do not utilize photosynthesis. An exception is the yellowish green species Corallorhiza trifida, which has some chlorophyll and is able to fix CO2. However, this species also depends primarily on fungal associations for carbon acquisition.[5][6]

Oh, I meant the horsetail also in your image is invasive, not the orchid... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I meant the horsetail also in your image is invasive, not the orchid... Wink

You were clear; I was not...

Horsetail is important source of silica. I make tea for the garden. It ferments, providing silica and beneficial bionutrients to garden soils.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was clearer than I thought. Smile it's unlikely coralroot would grow in a garden even with horsetail present --without the underlying mycorrhizii.

Here's more. Still not entirely satisfied but these are better imho...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have horsetails in my garden. Nearly impossible to eradicate and difficult to even control.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Well I was clearer than I thought. Smile it's unlikely coralroot would grow in a garden even with horsetail present --without the underlying mycorrhizii.

Here's more. Still not entirely satisfied but these are better imho...

Like 1

jamaeolus wrote:
I have horsetails in my garden. Nearly impossible to eradicate and difficult to even control.

We have that problem with wild onions Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foraging Secrets: How to Spot Edible Wild Onions Without Confusing Them with Their Poisonous Twins
https://www.gardeningchores.com/edible-wild-onions-and-look-alikes/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Foraging Secrets: How to Spot Edible Wild Onions Without Confusing Them with Their Poisonous Twins
https://www.gardeningchores.com/edible-wild-onions-and-look-alikes/

Thanks for the heads up but there is no mistake: whenever I cut them down there is an overpowering onion smell Wink

There are over 800 species of Allium and I haven't a clue which one ours might be. All I have worked out so far that it is one the wild onion varieties and not a wild garlic variety. It has a very small underground cluster of separate round bulbs and even the smallest bulb when disturbed or goes AWOL creates a whole new patch of them. And those tiny bulbs can be up to half a foot down underneath the soil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! @kds315* & @Himself!

@RokkorDoctor -- info posted primarily for others who may read this topic and want to try. The wild onions are really delicious in salads & stir fries. Just be careful not to eat too much at first -- wild foods are much more nutritious and medicinal than cultivated. Most importantly, however, is in the wild the onions grow same places as the deadly Death Camas Lily. Before flowering the two are difficult to distinguish -- even experienced wildcrafters have been fooled, with deadly consequence. Wholesale cutting of green parts & bulb harvesting, is definitely not recommended -- test each leaf and bulb carefully for onion odor.

@jamaeolus, have you tried a thick mulch to control the horsetail?

Horsetail (Equisetum) -- here with Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 MC 1:1 Macro Telephoto (Kiron) @f/8 Sony A7R2:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum