Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Xenar 135mm f/3.5 vs Nikkor Ai 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Tele-Xenar 135mm f/3.5 vs Nikkor Ai 135mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

An infinity comparison between the two lenses. For the corner shots, the house was focused on in the center, and then placed into the corner, so it gives a reliable idea how the lens performs from corner to corner.

comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Tele-Xenar shows quite good performance, especially considering its age, but the Nikkor beats it. I tested the Nikkor against the Sonnar 135/4 before, and have to come to the same conclusion: the Nikkor is a very strong performing lens from wide open. Performance doesn't really improve when stopping down, and corners look actually better (saturation) at wider apertures. While all the rave is about the Nikkor Ai(s) 135mm f/2.8, the f/3.5 Ai is the one to get IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thank you.

I you can share a picture how the xenar lens looks would be educative. 🙏

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Interesting. Thank you.

I you can share a picture how the xenar lens looks would be educative. 🙏

It’s the one like shown in this article:
https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3204.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How did you get the Edixa Schneider to focus to infinity? Do you have a short M42 adapter? (I am assuming you did this on a mirrorless camera).

EDIT: Yes, Sony A7RII

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Question: How did you get the Edixa Schneider to focus to infinity? Do you have a short M42 adapter? (I am assuming you did this on a mirrorless camera).

EDIT: Yes, Sony A7RII

Regards, Christine

Hi Christine,

I have no issues using a standard K&F M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Hi Christine,

Interesting. I will have to retest my K&F M42 adapter for this, but in my memory it shows the same problems focusing to infinity with edixa lenses as my Novoflex adapter does. Perhaps crop sensor camera's are more sensitive to this?

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Hi Christine,

Interesting. I will have to retest my K&F M42 adapter for this, but in my memory it shows the same problems focusing to infinity with edixa lenses as my Novoflex adapter does. Perhaps crop sensor camera's are more sensitive to this?

Regards, Christine

I don't know. Maybe it depends on the generation of the lens? Does yours have any protruding pins on the backside? Mine doesn't and fits perfectly on the adapter. Register distance seems the same as my other M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I don't know. Maybe it depends on the generation of the lens? Does yours have any protruding pins on the backside? Mine doesn't and fits perfectly on the adapter. Register distance seems the same as my other M42 lenses.

Mine is of the generation of Schneider lenses that I think came after the zebra's. It is all black with two thin chrome rings around the barrel of the lens. Narrow piece of fake leather around the base near the mount. It does have an aperture stop down pin, as well as an A <> M switch. Serial number 10 xxx xxx.

It is a very nice sharp lens, if your subject is closer than infinity. Not by much, mind you. Stopping it down to f/16 or so is enough to just about get infinity sharp

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Mine is of the generation of Schneider lenses that I think came after the zebra's. It is all black with two thin chrome rings around the barrel of the lens. Narrow piece of fake leather around the base near the mount. It does have an aperture stop down pin, as well as an A <> M switch. Serial number 10 xxx xxx.

It is a very nice sharp lens, if your subject is closer than infinity. Not by much, mind you. Stopping it down to f/16 or so is enough to just about get infinity sharp

Regards, Christine

Yeah, I did some snapshots at closer by subjects, and it does look nice and sharp. Mechanically it's also very nice, and it has a nice round bokeh. It certainly can be useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone find any difference in rendering among the 4/3 and the 4/4 versions of the Nikkor 135/3,5?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Did anyone find any difference in rendering among the 4/3 and the 4/4 versions of the Nikkor 135/3,5?

I didn’t but it would be interesting to see. If I happen to find a cheap pre-ai one, I may buy and test it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
papasito wrote:

I didn’t but it would be interesting to see. If I happen to find a cheap pre-ai one, I may buy and test it.

I'm interested too!