Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 45mm f2.8 D PC-E Micro Tilt-Shift Lens: Hood Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Nikon 45mm f2.8 D PC-E Micro Tilt-Shift Lens: Hood Issue Reply with quote

The correct hood is supposed to be the Nikon HB-43.

I had one arrive with lettering on it "Nikon HB-43 Made in Japan"

It is about 10mm too wide to fit the lens which has a filter size of 77mm.

Am I missing something here?

Has anyone come across this discrepancy and found a solution?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see of the lens on the NZ site, it takes a bayonet mount hood that appears to be a twin lobe type.
It may be worth it to query Nikon on this to get the matter sorted.

www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/4528pc.jpg

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
From what I can see of the lens on the NZ site, it takes a bayonet mount hood that appears to be a twin lobe type.

-D.S.

The 24mm version takes a shallow, circular on, bayonet fitting, which I have for that lens.

Genuine Nikon hoods for the 45mm are plain, whereas I have seen some petal-shaped third party ones.

I have emailed Nikon but they only accept enquiries for cameras. So I did it for the D3 which is relevant.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood I bought (elsewhwere) looks like this:

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/product/nikon-hb-43-lens-hood-hb43/

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now realise that the front of the lens lacks the filter ring to accept it. Here is nothing beyond the fixed ring with hyperfocal distance markings. I hope to get it repaired.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I now realise that the front of the lens lacks the filter ring to accept it. Here is nothing beyond the fixed ring with hyperfocal distance markings. I hope to get it repaired.

At least you know what's wrong now.
If I knew the thread diameter of the original filter ring, I'd sneak a stepping ring on to it and use a much cheaper generic filter, but that's just me. Wink

Good luck with it!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

If I knew the thread diameter of the original filter ring, I'd sneak a stepping ring on to it and use a much cheaper generic filter, but that's just me. Wink

Good luck with it!

-D.S.

It seems likely I can push a 62mm ring in there +/- glue. I have ordered a 62mm male to 77mm female ring, hopefully to attach the correct size of filter. I may arrange a push fit for the hood onto that, maybe with soft tape wound around in between.

The front of the lens protrudes 25mm clear of the hyperfocal distance ring at closest focus so I don't know how that works with a filter in place.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Good luck with it!

-D.S.

It seems likely I can push a 62mm ring in there +/- glue. I have ordered a 62mm male to 77mm female ring, hopefully to attach the correct size of filter. I may arrange a push fit for the hood onto that, maybe with soft tape wound around in between.

The front of the lens protrudes 25mm clear of the hyperfocal distance ring at closest focus so I don't know how that works with a filter in place.

While I have been waiting to see if the missing filter ring can be replaced, I have received my step rings. Using Blu Tack to hold everything in place for a try-out, I assembled a working version:

I pushed the male end of the 62 to 77mm M/F in where the original filter ring/hood mount seems to have fitted. The 77mm male to 82mm male end was then screwed into the 77 female. So we have two rings firmly joined together.

The rear end of the hood sat, wobbly at first, in the female 82mm. Four small blobs of Blu Tack gripped it and permitted levelling.

I then put the lens and new construction on the D3 and checked for vignetting, of which there was only a tiny amount at full shift or full tilt. That is due to the Blu Tack adding up to, maybe, 1mm of temporary spacing so it looks very promising.

I don't use filters very often but I could unscrew the male/female 77mm junction to allow their use.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link shows what the tip of the lens should look like:4

https://shorturl.at/yzWZ6

Mine lacks the bit with the gold ring and male bayonet (first image).

The hood and the rings are shown in the second image.

Other images show the assembled rings and hood combination and, finally, it on the Nikon D3.

And finally some views of the temporary assembly on the D3

As I am only an occasional user of shift or tilt/shift lenses, this could suffice, with the 62-77mm ring glued in place permanently and the hood glued to the 82mm ring permanently, allowing me to unscrew the 77-77mm interface to fit a filter, if required or maybe just to minimise physical stresses in my bag.

A piece of information gathered by accident:

During one session, I accidentally used an HB-1 hood, which is for is the AF NIKKOR 35-70mm f/2.8D. It was easier to fit and did not vignette. Its average cost is about a third of that of the average cost HB-43. It may not have the full function of the HB-43 but might suffice.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

A lobed hood would not work with a lens which can be rotated.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

A lobed hood would not work with a lens which can be rotated.

I should have said a twin lugged bayonet mounting system. Very Happy

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for an estimate for the cost of a repair and supplying and fitting the "lens front assembly". It was more than I was prepared to pay (more than I have paid for most of my legacy lenses, including that one). So I will make my DIY one more permanent but allowing the 77mm to 77mm joint to remain unscrewable. That is to permit use of filters and to give flexibility about storage in my bag.