Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM-20 loud shutter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM-20 loud shutter Reply with quote

Some time ago I picked up an Olympus OM-20, mostly for curiosity (I like Olympus OM lenses and my current camera is an Olympus mirrorless). I haven't tried to run a roll of film through it (yet), but everything seems to be working. One thing that I am unsure about though is that the shutter is quite loud. It sounds like whacking a ruler into a table. Is it supposed to be that loud or is there some dampening material missing?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louder when compared to another SLR? Smile The mirror slap on my Spotmatics is loud, especially in the calm Autumn. You should hear the Pentax 6x7 mirror slap!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have much to compare it to. Does the shutter sound change depending on whether you have film loaded into the camera?

Digressing a bit here, I am thinking about maybe picking up a Spotmatic actually. I guess I like film camera bodies, especially the less-electronic ones, for the same reason I like manual lenses: for the sheer mechanical-ness of them. So I might actually be tempted to try to Spotmatic SL (the one without the light meter). My understanding is that the light meters on these don't always work correctly after 50 years, as well as the battery situation and that the old mercury batteries tended to cause corrosion in the battery compartment?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed The foam rubber mirror bumper may need replacement.

My understanding too about the Spotmatics, although many still work fine after all these years. Coincidentally just yesterday during some Spring cleaning I found a big bag with rolls and rolls of film, and my Spotmatics. Trying not to get distracted... Smile