Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta AF 80-200/2.8 vs Mamiya C 105-210/4.5 ULD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Minolta AF 80-200/2.8 vs Mamiya C 105-210/4.5 ULD Reply with quote

Infinity comparison between these 2 lenses.
Note: I redid the corners @ 150mm and 200mm because the corners were not at the same distance as the center. I used to house to focus on, and then reframed it into the corner.
By the way: I used MF for both lenses.

Results @ respectively 105mm / 150mm / 200mm:

comparison105mm by devoscasper, on Flickr

bcomparison150mm by devoscasper, on Flickr

bcomparison200mm by devoscasper, on Flickr

Quite a surprise here. The Mamiya seems to beat the Minolta in most circumstances. Only @ 150mm the Mamiya has quite weak corners.
Not bad for a lens that can be had for near nothing from Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be some sample variation in the case of the Minolta- their lenses were certainly not immune in some instances.

What gets me is the magnification difference shown between them at 105mm. The rest of it seems to be more or less straight forward comparison.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Could be some sample variation ...

-D.S.

I have been using the Minolta AF 2.8/80-200mm both in its black and its white versions for quite some time, along with the later MinAF 2.8/70-200 APO G SSM and its Sony cousin, the SAL 2.8/70-200m G. I also have the Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm and the Sekor C 105-210mm ULD.

My ULD-Sekor - although looking like new - is by far the worst of the lenses mentioned above. Sample variation certainly is an issue even with modern zoom, let alone with older complicated zooms.

That said, even one single sample of a zoom lens can vary visibly from image to image. On the MinAF 2.8/70-200 Apo G SSM I found that approaching a certain focal length from the long end causes a different preformance/resolution, compared to approaching the same focal length from the short end ... and there are many other problems involved in testing/comparing vintage zoom lenses on modern cameras ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
Could be some sample variation ...

-D.S.

I have been using the Minolta AF 2.8/80-200mm both in its black and its white versions for quite some time, along with the later MinAF 2.8/70-200 APO G SSM and its Sony cousin, the SAL 2.8/70-200m G. I also have the Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm and the Sekor C 105-210mm ULD.

My ULD-Sekor - although looking like new - is by far the worst of the lenses mentioned above. Sample variation certainly is an issue even with modern zoom, let alone with older complicated zooms.

That said, even one single sample of a zoom lens can vary visibly from image to image. On the MinAF 2.8/70-200 Apo G SSM I found that approaching a certain focal length from the long end causes a different preformance/resolution, compared to approaching the same focal length from the short end ... and there are many other problems involved in testing/comparing vintage zoom lenses on modern cameras ...

The Minolta I have looks very sharp when photographing closer subjects. I've owned two samples of the Mamiya, and while the first one was very good, the current one seems even better (although not very consistent at all focal lengths).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to say that blurring completely cows in the background is certainly very bad behaviour. Hence Minolta being the better lens. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

This is interesting commentary.

I've experienced similar behavior with a few zooms as well- most notably a couple of nikkors, and the once popular Series 1 70-210.
Worst of the lot for this was the nikkor 80-200 f4, but that particular sample may have been defective from the factory...
More commonly discussed is focus rotation direction having similar effects on the final image.

-D.S.