Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kilfitt Macro Zoomar 50-125mm f/4.0 on A7RII with flowers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Kilfitt Macro Zoomar 50-125mm f/4.0 on A7RII with flowers Reply with quote

It is said that this lens is the first macro zoom lens for SLR in the 1970s. Production number is pretty low as it is not a commercially successful lens.

Unlike its impressive build quality, my copy is not sharp at f/4 or f/5.6 on a 42MP camera. At F8, it is decently sharp in the center. I can’t confirm which focal length is best as it seems there is not much difference across the whole zoom range. There is little distortion at 50mm and some pincushion distortion at 125mm.

Overall, a fun lens that can be a creative tool for some people. It is a piece of history that is worth collecting and using. Smile

(The samples below are converted from raw to jpeg without cropping using the camera standard profile in Adobe Lightroom. Clarity and vibrance both set to +16. It is best to download the photos and view them at 100%.)

#7 @f/8.0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting piece of history.
I like the last shot, how many blades this lens has? I suspect could be 10 or more like the macro killar? Maybe for portraits it would help with its overall softeness and character.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be an interesting cine lens for certain / arty projects.

how does it behave in BW mode, out of the camera ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
An interesting piece of history.
I like the last shot, how many blades this lens has? I suspect could be 10 or more like the macro killar? Maybe for portraits it would help with its overall softeness and character.

Yes. About 10 blades. My friend said it be a good portrait lens too.

alex_d wrote:
this could be an interesting cine lens for certain / arty projects.

how does it behave in BW mode, out of the camera ?

This lens is not parfocal with no focus scale. I don't think it will work for cine unless it is used with a fix focal length.

The lens could be a good lens for BW too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i saw it, that lens is a BW portreit monster!

as a cine, yes too with fixed focus.

could be great for some character footage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
yes i saw it, that lens is a BW portreit monster!

as a cine, yes too with fixed focus.

could be great for some character footage

I see. I will try some portrait next time.