Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcon's exakta mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Topcon's exakta mount Reply with quote

Can someone help me with two questions with respect to Topcon lenses?

1) I seem to remember reading somewhere that Topcon's lenses longer than some focal length don't have a standard exakta mount but a variation. Could someone please fill me in on the details? Which Topcon lenses will work on a standard exakta mount and which one will not?

2) My understanding is that Topcon's UV lenses have an entirely different, non-exakta, mount and also don't have an aperture ring. Does that mean that any Topcon lens that does have an aperture ring does have an exakta mount (with the provision of question 1)?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcon's exakta mount Reply with quote

RE Topcor lenses has an aperture communication lever and aperture closedown lever that standard Exata doesn't have, and earlier Auto Topcors with the shutter button arm have it on the opposite side from Exakta lenses.

As to #2, that's a fairly accurate assumption. There are some lenses identical to UV Topcor that are labeled "HI Topcor" with no aperture ring. The very last Topcor cameras (RM300), however, switched over to a Pentax K mount. The K mount lenses were made by a different manufacturer, CIMKO.

connloyalist wrote:
Can someone help me with two questions with respect to Topcon lenses?

1) I seem to remember reading somewhere that Topcon's lenses longer than some focal length don't have a standard exakta mount but a variation. Could someone please fill me in on the details? Which Topcon lenses will work on a standard exakta mount and which one will not?

2) My understanding is that Topcon's UV lenses have an entirely different, non-exakta, mount and also don't have an aperture ring. Does that mean that any Topcon lens that does have an aperture ring does have an exakta mount (with the provision of question 1)?

Regards, C.

Last edited by BrianSVP on Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to specify which kind of topcon lens you are referring to using the info below:
http://www.ihagee.org/Nonihgcam/nonextopcon2.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both.

That is a very interesting PDF, I hadn't seen that one before. By the looks of it, the only Topcon lenses that are going to work are those that don't have an aperture lever, since this lever doesn't look like it will work with my EXA adapter.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is it? A lot of Exakta adapters are designed with slots or an inset lip on the adapter to accommodate the levers.

connloyalist wrote:
Thank you both.

That is a very interesting PDF, I hadn't seen that one before. By the looks of it, the only Topcon lenses that are going to work are those that don't have an aperture lever, since this lever doesn't look like it will work with my EXA adapter.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Which one is it? A lot of Exakta adapters are designed with slots or an inset lip on the adapter to accommodate the levers.

Actually, I have gone through a few adapters but mostly been unsatisfied with them being somewhat too short leaving the lenses at infinity well before the indication on the lens. However, I was able to find an original Canon exakta to FD adapter. So I purchased a second M43 to FD adapter (Novoflex) and married the FD to EXA adapter to that. Perfect fit, giving me an exakta adapter I am very satisfied with. I can provide pictures if you are curious. I will have to check the other adapters to see if they have the slot you mention.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Actually, I have gone through a few adapters but mostly been unsatisfied with them being somewhat too short leaving the lenses at infinity well before the indication on the lens. However, I was able to find an original Canon exakta to FD adapter. So I purchased a second M43 to FD adapter (Novoflex) and married the FD to EXA adapter to that. Perfect fit, giving me an exakta adapter I am very satisfied with. I can provide pictures if you are curious. I will have to check the other adapters to see if they have the slot you mention.

Regards, Christine

The Canon FD > Exakta mount converter doesn't work with RE Auto Topcor lenses. I have a similar setup for Exakta lenses and was disappointed when the Topcors didn't fit.

Most of the cheap Exakta adapters are OK to mount the Topcor lenses. I use one of the cheap 'zebra' style ones you can buy on ebay. You'd need to shim the adapter to get accurate infinity focus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the one pictured in the link, the lip on it might actually be high enough to accommodate the levers.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4215731

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info.

SimonOL wrote:
connloyalist wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Regards, Christine

The Canon FD > Exakta mount converter doesn't work with RE Auto Topcor lenses. I have a similar setup for Exakta lenses and was disappointed when the Topcors didn't fit.

Most of the cheap Exakta adapters are OK to mount the Topcor lenses. I use one of the cheap 'zebra' style ones you can buy on ebay. You'd need to shim the adapter to get accurate infinity focus.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
If it's the one pictured in the link, the lip on it might actually be high enough to accommodate the levers.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4215731

Yes, that is it exactly.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonOL wrote:

Good to know that my suspicion about Topcor lenses not working is correct. When I was using one of the cheap zebra style adapters I was indeed shimming the adapter to get it closer. I found that the cardboard of a serial box is 0.5mm thick (in Europe at least) and a ring of that worked quite decently. I am not sure about compressability of that cardboard over the long haul causing it to go out or angled or something like that.

Last night I looked around for my old adapter I had done like this but couldn't find it. It's around somewhere. Hey, don't tell me none of you have stuff lying around you forgot about or don't remember what exactly it is.

Regards, C.