Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC Lens Lineup Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC Lens Lineup Question Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have a set up N/AI Tokina RMC lenses that I enjoy using on my D850 and for video purposes.

I would really like to make my set more complete on the video front but I cannot find a Tokina RMC 50mm or 85mm prime. Did they not make these? Are they just rare? Is there any other lenses that Tokina made for other manufactures during a similar time period that would match up with these RMC lenses?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, there are no RMC primes between the 35/2 and the 135/2.8. There are a few RMC zooms in that range, though, including a 28-50 and a bunch in the 70ish to 200ish range.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not RMC but later is the Tokina AT-X Macro 90mm F2.5. It can double up as a portrait lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. Good to know that I'm searching for ghosts.

I do have the Tokina ATX 35-70mm F2.8 but for some reason I just don't like it as much as the RMC primes. That macro is on my list to get.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a 50mm that may match this set from a similar era regardless of brand?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And does anyone know why they never released a 50mm and 85mm? Those seem like such essential focal lengths. That omission seems strange to me but maybe it made sense at the time and I'm lacking the context of that era.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 is I guess a bit of a mystery, but pretty much every OEM was making their own 50s and bundling them with their cameras, so most people probably already had one. Unlike the AT-X line, the RMC lenses all had modest specs, so any hypothetical RMC 50 would likely have been in the f/2 or f/1.8 range and would be duplicative of the OEM lens that came with most people's kits.

Affinity wrote:
And does anyone know why they never released a 50mm and 85mm? Those seem like such essential focal lengths. That omission seems strange to me but maybe it made sense at the time and I'm lacking the context of that era.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cosina/Cosinon maybe .

The reason they didn't make a 50 is that everybody already had one because it came with the camera.

I think not many consumers bought an 85mm. It was considered more of a professional focal lenght. Tokina made 85mm's in the sixties (preset ones I guess). I don't think they sold a lot, I haven't seen many. 135mm lenses were much cheaper so most people got those.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for the replies and additional information. That makes more sense now regarding the absence of the 50mm and the 85mm.

I will try read up on the reviews of the many other vintage 50s to see which one might match and that also has a slightly cool colour tone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affinity wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation of a 50mm that may match this set from a similar era regardless of brand?

I think CZJ lenses were sold separately like third party lenses?

I am not sure because I was a kid during 70-s but have a kind of distant memory about that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Affinity wrote:

I think CZJ lenses were sold separately like third party lenses?

I am not sure because I was a kid during 70-s but have a kind of distant memory about that.

I definitely remember Aus Jena lenses from this period, and yes they tried to crack the 3rd party market with some fairly run of the mill focal lengths. There were a couple of zooms, a wide, and I think a stand alone 135mm. The I/Q on the zooms was pretty mediocre, at least in nikon F mount offerings. I haven't been able to determine if CZJ had anything to do with this line. At this time, there was of course the East and West German issue which likely had a bit of bearing on brand names. I had "accidentally" run across them while shopping for a rifle scope, which interestingly enough had a few Pentax samples at the time, but is getting really off-topic.

As for the 50mm, any sample from the major camera makers should be very good in the f1.7 to f2 range. Some had their own "name brand" economy lines like the series E from nikon. The plastic focusing mechanisms on some of them are pretty disappointing. I would stick to the flagship lenses in the 50mm range just for quality's sake.

There were Carl Zeiss camera lenses available too as 3rd party lines, but they came with some pretty steep pricing, and are still pricy on the used market.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider one of these?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-50mm-f18-m42.html

Early cosina made, I think, with still lots of metal. For some reason I like it and will get one if given the opportunity locally.
I have the 55/1,4. Another good option.
And then there is the Viv S1 55mm f1, 2. Less sturdy and much more expensive.
But these are not RMC...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
You may consider one of these?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-50mm-f18-m42.html

Early cosina made, I think, with still lots of metal. For some reason I like it and will get one if given the opportunity locally.
I have the 55/1,4. Another good option.
And then there is the Viv S1 55mm f1, 2. Less sturdy and much more expensive.
But these are not RMC...

That VS1 55/1.2 seems an odd suggestion. It is -ludicrously- rare and expensive, to the point that OP could easily buy every single lens in the RMC line with money to spare for the price of one example of it. Seems rather out of place next to the workmanlike RMC lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP. As I said, the Viv 55/1,2 is expensive, but I think it wouldn't be too much out of place on a D850, which is no toy either, especially for video work, as mentionned. 😉