Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no. Reply with quote

Hi folks. I have this "Lentar" (Tokina?) 21/3,8 with an - apparently - fixed Canon FD mount.
It looks a lot like a T-mount but there are no visible screws on the outer side of the ring.
There are however 4 screws inside the mount itself. I tried to unscrew that ring just by grabing and turning as you can do it with T-mount but it doesn't move.
Any idea as to being able to change that mount?
Sorry for my usual ugly cellphone pics. The dot on the ring is not a screw. It's the mounting position dot.
Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD experts may be able to tell you more, but isn't that a Canon FD breech lock mount?

My best guess would be that you need to remove the chrome slotted screw visible on the back of the lens in your third image; that probably prevents the breech lock nut/ring from being able to turn off completely. Once the breech lock nut unscrews completely my guess would be that mount screws become visible/accessible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like a t-mount to me - t-mounts never have aperture connections. The fd t-mount is just a bayonet locking mechanism. Might it be a sigma ys like swappable mount - it its swappable?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no. Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi folks. I have this "Lentar" (Tokina?) 21/3,8 with an - apparently - fixed Canon FD mount.
It looks a lot like a T-mount but there are no visible screws on the outer side of the ring.
There are however 4 screws inside the mount itself. I tried to unscrew that ring just by grabing and turning as you can do it with T-mount but it doesn't move.
Sorry for my usual ugly cellphone pics. The dot on the ring is not a screw. It's the mounting position dot.
Thanks a lot.

That's a fixed-mount lens in Canon FL fitting, so I wouldn't go unscrewing anything...

The ring at the rear is turned to attach it to the camera – known as a "breech lock" fitting.

Many Canon FL-fit lenses will fit FD adapters for mirrorless cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the m-ft scale on yours is larger diameter than aperture scale unlike the Vivitar (Tokina) https://youtu.be/XyjUQ6ovPS4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fixed mount lens. The ring is to attach the lens to a Canon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda. The Sigma YS mount is actually geometrically identical to a T2 mount but does have an aperture pin. In fact, you can use a regular T2 adapter on a YS lens just fine!

Another interesting fact is that some supposedly dedicated mount Sigma "XQ" lenses still have a YS mount hidden inside them if you remove enough of the decorative exterior rings. The 16mm Filtermatic Fisheye is one such lens.

As far as the lens that's the subject of this thread goes, it looks like it's the earlier FL mount wihtout the indexing lever and A pin that the FD mount lenses have.

marcusBMG wrote:
Doesn't look like a t-mount to me - t-mounts never have aperture connections. The fd t-mount is just a bayonet locking mechanism. Might it be a sigma ys like swappable mount - it its swappable?

is

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no. Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Canon FL. I guess it is a fixed mount. Vivitar T4 21mm 3.8. Should be the same. But interchangeable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no. Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Phalbert wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Canon FL. I guess it is a fixed mount. Vivitar T4 21mm 3.8. Should be the same. But interchangeable.

https://youtu.be/XyjUQ6ovPS4 shows the not-same Vivitar Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help with look alike T-mount but apparently no. Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Phalbert wrote:
Thanks a lot.

https://youtu.be/XyjUQ6ovPS4 shows the not-same Vivitar Smile

Optically should be the same, literally just Tokina.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. The video is nice. I wish it was a T4, but it's not.
I'm not thinking of starting yet another system, like 4/3 or mirrorless. Too much other stuff. So Canon FD, Minolta MD and Konicas are out for now.