Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multi spectral tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Multi spectral tools Reply with quote

I saw this referenced on the other site on which I am active (ars tecnika):

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3002444

It immediately made me think of the fantastic work Dr Schmitt creates and links to on here.

Klaus? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen:

2011 documentary "Limits of Light -- Go Wild" directed by Alfred Vendl, Steve Nicholls.

UV-IR vision simulation of Insects, birds, even Mantis Shrimp(!) -- photos & videos.

https://youtu.be/jnGTCaiZqOE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Multi spectral tools Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I saw this referenced on the other site on which I am active (ars tecnika):

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3002444

It immediately made me think of the fantastic work Dr Schmitt creates and links to on here.

Klaus? Thoughts?

Yeah, seen it. Nothing new really except that they make all available to the public.#

Their theory seems to be correct, yet personally I have an issue mapping UV that bee can see into the red channel - they you look at a false color image, see a lot of RED and ask yourself in the back of your head "but bees cannot see RED..." - hence why my "simulated bee vision images" have hardly any RED in them (except what's need to create "white".

Well and they propose to use the nearly apochromatic old chrome/black EL-Nikkor 5.6/80mm (plus the 105mm + 135mm + 210mm) without mentioning / referencing the old who found those: me actually :LOL: And they also forgot that there are a newer serious of them with same names which are NOT APO nor do they transmit UV; the "rubber tyre" style EL-Nikkor ones...

Guess I send the main guy an email about that....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit where credit is due!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must sit down and read this properly when I am back online, rather than looking at it on a phone. I got a notification about it the other day as they referenced a paper of mine regarding how to measure camera sensitivity (and it looks like their approach is similar to the approach I developed for my work) and Klaus also sent me the article. When I get home I'll take a proper look. And yes, I agree with Klaus about the lens - they are not specific enough about which ones actually transmit enough UV to be useful. As always, the devil is in the detail with regards to UV work......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a link to the paper in anarticle on the only other website on which I am an active participant, ars technika, a science and technology focused site. It is division of Conde Nast publishing. Pretty good site if you are interested in science, technology, cars, gaming and policy (mostly US policy but some international outlook when big tech butts up against foreign law).