Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Set of dusty projection objectives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Set of dusty projection objectives Reply with quote

Stunned by the beauty of the pictures I'm getting from the Isco Ultra-Star HD MC 80mm (golden barrel, blue star) I have just adapted, I got hooked by the delicious bokeh I have seen in pictures taken with some of the best cinema projection lenses.
After seeing online some pics taken with a Visionar, I just ordered another helicoid in M65 size, that will be shared by the mentioned Isco and by a Visionar 1.9/141mm I have at home.
Each lens will have its own clamp, and changing the optic would just need to unscrew one objective and screw-in the other...
In the meantime, I am browsing web pages looking for examples of the pictures taken with the projection lenses that are still waiting to be adapted.
I have a large plastic box at home, filled with projection lenses.
Should be enough of adaptations for this life and the next, but I couldn't resist: I bought a set of very dirty projection lenses for 1 euro plus shipment. I offered the seller to pay 20 euros shipped, so she could at least recover the gas to go to the post office Smile
The parcel already arrived, was picked up by a friend, but for a few months I will not find out what can be cleaned up and what's damaged beyond recovery, cause I am away from home.
A couple of them seem to be just dusty. From the pics its' difficult to tell...
The set is made of four standard projection lenses plus an anamorphic, advertised in the original auction as:

- Rodenstock - Splendon f = 450 mm A
- ohne Beschriftung
- ISCO - Göttingen Anamorphotic - Kiptar 2x 953991
- ohne Beschriftung
- ISCO - Göttingen Projar 1:4,3 / 250 315391

The two optics inside the tube, with non readable inscriptions, might be shorter in focal and thus more usable than the 450mm and 250mm (which could be too long to be cinema lenses, maybe it's overhead projector or magic lantern objectives).
EDIT: the Rodenstock Splendon probably belonged to a Liesegang Avanti II transparencies projector, which supported (through interchangeable wooden frames) any possible format between 6x7cm to 9x12cm.
The Isco Projar should be a triplet, very likely same lens design of the 100mm f/2.8 that I already have. The speed difference is proportional to the focal difference.
I have seen unexpectedly good footage shot with the Anamorphotic Kiptar 2x. Even if the lens cleans up nicely, I understand that its practical use is conditioned by the fact that this version has no focusing. I have read that with no tricks the closest focusing is around two meters. Finding a very large diopter to put in front of the anamorphic is difficult and/or expensive. I am wondering if it makes any difference to alter the MFD through the taking lens (tubes, dioptric, depth of the adapter). I'm absolutely ignorant about anamorphic

It's a pity that the two objectives sitting inside the two large tubes don't give away any clue about their maker/model.
Whoever has a clue or sees something familiar is invited to provide some info.

Here is the set:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those lenses obviously have significant water/moisture damage. Expect to find quite a bit of internal fungus in them. In the pic of the three, the one on the left and the anamorphic appear pretty heavily infected, even in those low quality photos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you have your work cut out for you! Please post pictures "post rescue" after you have cleaned and set up mountings for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post the pictures of the lenses post rescue.
I have no expectations. I didn't spend much after all.
Even separating/unscrewing the lenses could prove difficult, it seems there is plenty of oxide.
The anamorphic might be the most difficult to tackle, but if it can be cleaned I already have an idea on how to put it to good use.

I have seen lenses that were practically opaque to the light come out nicely cleaned, and others that I thought were super easy to clean that proved to be beyond repair.
I am very curious to discover which lenses are inside the tubes. I would be very happy to find at least one Petzval (of not-too-long focal). The Petzvals I have are all too long to be adapted for digital.
I already know that the two that are outside (250mm and 450mm) are not of any practical use, at least not on digital. Maybe if the two lenses are salvageable I might try them on the Pentax 6x7, using a combination of the bellows and the macro helicoid... I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i´m waiting for the adapter for the recent angenieux petzval type, definetely these lenses are worth it, even if it´s about risking sometimes lol (for the price you´ve paid, no risk at all)