Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax M42 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Pentax M42 adapter Reply with quote

Got one of these yesterday, but no focus confirm for M42 glass. I now have
infinity focus, though. Evidently the ist DS model is the first that provides
focus confirm for M42.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, I assume you have a *istD? did you get your hands on a genuine pentax adapter or one of those bower adapters I keep hearing about?

focus confirm is a good thing to have but I find that (although it can be expensive) replacing the AF style focusing screen with an older manual split-image screen goes a long way in getting more in focus shots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my *ist DL I didn't get focus confirm on M42 either, but someone on this forum gave me a tip that the contacts at the lens mount on the camera could be shortened with a piece of foil.
The tip was originally for getting correct metering, bud seems to fix the focus confirm as well.
Some M42 lenses shorts the contacts by themselves if the surface is conductive, but my Super Tak 55 didn't cover the contacts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Seamuis, hi, recognize you from the PentaxForum. I'm a newbie there, my
nick is "chubasco". Yes, this is the *istD, so no focus confirm except for
K-mount, but am loving this camera! Yes, the adapter is the OEM one from
Pentax online.

Where would I get a split image focusing screen? Sounds interesting.

@Sven, I think all cams after the D have focus confirm for M42, maybe I'm
mistaken.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I spend more time there then I should, (on there right now) there are a couple of places that you can get a focusing screen:

the istD and DS use the same size screen.

Expensive: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

slightly less expensive: http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_66 (cut from NOS focusing screens of other cameras)

as I said they are expensive. there was a Chinese merchant on ebay selling screens like the taiwanese linked above for very cheap but he is no longer on the bay. all of these (including the Chinese) have been verified as good quality and work as they should over on the PENTAXforums but for what its worth I would say if you have the money and are willing to make the investment go with KatzEye. they are the best of the best.

I was going to get one for my K110D but decided to wait until I pick up a K10D or whatever Pentax is planning on releasing in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go for the Katzeye, it's the brightest and the best. Forgot about
those guys, should've known they'd make a screen for Pentax. It's not the
first thing next I'll be getting, but it's in the line. Wink Thanks!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

@Sven, I think all cams after the D have focus confirm for M42, maybe I'm
mistaken.

Bill

Yes, normally it works (at least on my DL), but only if the lens shorten the contacts it seems. If the lens diameter doesn't reach the contacts as on my Super Tak, both meetering and confirmation get disturbed. This is were the foil come in handy.