Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock-Kinemar 1.7/5cm, a smooth bokeh projection lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock-Kinemar 1.7/5cm, a smooth bokeh projection lens Reply with quote

Got this one for cheap, especially as compared to some current or recent BIN options which seem to me frankly exagerated. The "5cm" marking makes an implicit reference to pre-war lens designations, but it does not seem to be that old. Besides, 16mm consumer projectors did not come to market before the IIWW ended, right?

The image rendering is nice. Rodenstock colours are there. Sharpness is on the rather mild but very detailed and pleasant side. And bokeh is really smooth. The image circle is smaller than APS-C which differs the lens from its other 50mm projection brothers ans sisters designed for 16mm film. I tried some, such as Elmo, Som Berthiot, Benoist Berthiot and some others which have heavy swirl on the edges, and not corners clipped to black.

I find the image converted in BW especially attractive.

One of them in colour

The shots were taken with Sony Nex and contrast is slightly pushed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

If you lens has SN near 2.000.000, it is made in ~1945.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Calvin! You guess well, the serial number is 2 060 XXX.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some outdoors close-ups in a perfectly grey day, as if it was done to produce grey cards for calibrating white balance. The lens gives at times less contrasty image than I'd like to, and in a grey day it feels even stronger. So, I pushed contrasts a bit more sometimes.

#5 A 100% crop from the previous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens has a pretty weird field curvature. A complete defocus off the centre leaves decent corners. Here comes a result of gradual refocusing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shots with this lens, now converted to BW via simple desaturation and then tinted to sepia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe lack of contrast is due to overexposure. Hard vignetting leads the camera to overexpose the center.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be right! When I negatively compensate exposure, like in #5 of the last series, shots look more dramatic, even though corners are even more clipped. I will try it with in-camera exposure compensation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some more arbitrary shots