Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TEST Teleconverter 2x: Konica vs Minolta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 am    Post subject: TEST Teleconverter 2x: Konica vs Minolta Reply with quote

The Konica Hexanon Teleconverter AR 2x is a pretty rare piece of equipment introduced in the early 1980s for the Konica AR SLR system. The heydays of teleconverters were the early 1970s when cheap three lens [3L] converters from 3rd party manufacturers were sold widely (and inxpensively of course). Towards the mid-1970s Canon and Minolta had introduced some high performance converters specially designed for their FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite (Canon) and MD 5.6/400mm Fluorite (Minolta) lenses. Nikon would be following soon.

Around 1980 those specialized "long range" converters (300mm upwards) were supplemented by new "short range" converters for lenses in the 50mm to 200mm range. That was the moment when Konica introduced their first and only AR teleconverter, too. During this time Konica had lots of problems with unreliable electronic SLR bodies, and they were not the well respected company any more they had been in the 1965-1975 time frame. In addition around 1983 the 4/80-200mm telezooms really became popular, and thus the teleconverters (often combined with the ubiquituous 2.8/135mm lenses) became redundant. That explains the rarity of the Konica converter.

OK, here it is:

The Konica AR 2x converter is a pretty sophisticated [6/5] construction, and one would expect an appropriate performance.

I have compared the Konica AR 2x converter & AR 1.7/50mm lens with the Minolta MD 2x-S converter & MD 2/50mm lens.

The results are pretty surprising and may explain why the Konica 2x converter wasn't selling well.

OK, here's the center wide open (effective f4 for both combinations since they support only f2 apertures), at f8 (eff) and at f16 (eff):

The difference is clearly visible when the lenses are wide open. Stopped down to f4.0 (effective f8.0) the Minolta is tack sharp, the Konica not so much but still perfectly useable. At f8 (eff f16) both lenses suffer from diffraction.

But holy moly ... the corners ...!!!

Well, these are the corners. Minolta vs Konica, both with their best normal lenses on their original 2x converter.

I don't know what's going on here, but the results of the Konica converter are devastating. I don't think there's a problem with my specific sample of the Konica AR 2x converter, since it looks "like new" and was given to me together with its equally perfect lens quiver. BTW it's not just the corners that look bad on the Konica, but large parts of the image! Maybe the AR converter was designed specifically fro one of the Konica tele lenses (I'll check it tomorrow wih the 135mm and 200mm lenses), but it's certainly not usable in combination with the AR 1.7/50mm normal lens.

The Minolta 2x-S converter however really shines in combination with the MD-III 2/50mm lens. Slightly low contrast and some CAs wide open, but very good at f4.0 (eff f8.0), even in the corners, and nearly free from CAs. Well done Minolta!

S

EDIT: wrong descriptions on the test images corrected!

Last edited by stevemark on Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick test comparing the two converters & their respective 3.5/135mm lenses (AR and MD-II both from around 1980) again results in much better images from the Minolta combo, although the results from the Konica combo aren't as bad as with the f1.7 normal lens. Interesting.

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have the labels reversed on the images.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The ones labeled konica are clearly superior.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally avoid teleconverters, just based on late 70's experiences with 3rd party systems that suffered pretty badly in terms of image quality.

I did end up with a (*I think*) slightly newer variant in a package deal a while ago now:

Kiron 7 element multi-coated converter with the M.C.7 model #.

It came to me new in box, never used. The cheap plastic case for it seems to work well.

There's the converter it's self.

Pretty well a usable image, with the A/I-s nikkor 50mm f1.4 stopped down to f5.6, f-11 effective. I can't see a lot wrong here except for a bit of fringing in the back-ground, where the grey card meets the table top. There's a bit of fall-off away from image center which is not really all that surprising.

I actually have little interest in using this, especially at MFD~ I find extension tubes a little easier to use. Focused off the ground glass at MFD. I'll work with it a little more this summer and try a few distant scenics with it. I'm not expecting much out of it to be honest.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, you seem to have the labels reversed, so your text belies the images. Very confusing indeed. While I don't have the Minolta 300-S converter, I can only confirm the quality of the 300-L combined with the MC APO 400 mm f/5.6 lens. At f/16 (effective), the images are nearly perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differences are night and day indeed. I’m not surprised that the Minolta is better, but the difference is huge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Minolta TC with some longer lenses? It would be interesting to see what it can do with i.e. 200mm F4 prime. I don't expect it would make sense in modern days, but with 50mm F2 it looks better than I would've ever expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
I think you have the labels reversed on the images.

jamaeolus wrote:
Yes. The ones labeled konica are clearly superior.

Alsatian2017 wrote:
Stephan, you seem to have the labels reversed, so your text belies the images. Very confusing indeed.

Sorry! It was early in the morning Wink. Mistake corrected!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I generally avoid teleconverters, just based on late 70's experiences with 3rd party systems that suffered pretty badly in terms of image quality.

I did end up with a (*I think*) slightly newer variant in a package deal a while ago now:
Kiron 7 element multi-coated converter with the M.C.7 model #.

-D.S.

Being a [7L] design the Kiron has a quite good reputation. I thought I'd have one, but a quick search didn't result in anything ...

Alsatian2017 wrote:
While I don't have the Minolta 300-S converter, I can only confirm the quality of the 300-L combined with the MC APO 400 mm f/5.6 lens. At f/16 (effective), the images are nearly perfect.

Interesting - that was advertised by Minolta, but the MD 5.6/400mm APO I have been using / testing wasn't up to yours, obviously: lot's of astigmatism in the image center (!!) at f5.6 and f8, good at f11, and not really useable with the corresponding 300-L converter.

Dejan wrote:
Have you tried the Minolta TC with some longer lenses? It would be interesting to see what it can do with i.e. 200mm F4 prime. I don't expect it would make sense in modern days, but with 50mm F2 it looks better than I would've ever expected.

I just made a few test shots (infinity) with

a) Minolta MD-III 4/100mm Macro & Minolta MD-III Converter 2x-S
b) Minolta MD-II 4/200mm

Interestingly, with both lenses at f8 (eff) - which means the 100mm Macro wide open on the converter - the "Macro & Converter" option is slightly better (slightly less CAs, slightly better corner resolution). Wow! I wouldn't have expected that! Of course the 200mm is two steps faster ...

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 4/200mm tele lenses in combination with a 2x tele converter was nearly impossible on analog SLRs. The dark viewfinder, the finicky focusing and the film speed neccessary for handheld shots all were contributing to that.

On mirrorless FF cameras with EVF, in-body stabilization, excellent high ISO performance and easy lateral CA correction some of these limits can be overcome.

The combination of the Minolta MD-I 4/200mm with the Minolta MD 2x-S converter is pretty useable, especially at f5.6 (effective f11). Wide open the combo has a lower contrast and quite strong purple fringing. CAs are pretty strong - but not more than other conventional 400mm lenses such as Canon FD 4.5/400mm or Konica AR 4.5/400mm. Details resolution is OK, but not overwhelming; here the Canon FD 4.5/400mm certainly is better.

The Konica combination of AR 4/200mm plus AR Teleconverter 2x is quite a bit weaker, again. More CAs and fringing, and much less resolution, though not as bad as with the 50mm. Not really useable on 24 MP FF, tough.

I am still surprised about the low performance of the Konica AR teleconverter, and if anyone has a sample it would be interesting to dublicate my tests.

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several that came in various lots. Most are...not very good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:

Here you are ...
Overview - test at shorter distances since right now the air turbulances and haze are too strong for infinity tests:

100% crops from the corners of the 24 MP FF Sony A7II:
CLICK TWICE TO GET FULL RESOLUTION -
DOWNLOADING RECOMMENDED IF YOUR BROWSER ADJUSTS THE RESOLUTION AUTOMATICALLY TO SCREEN SIZE!!

From these results it's obvious that the Konica 2x Converter was optimized for longer lenses; nevertheless the combination of AR 4/200mm plus AR 2x converter still isn't as good as the Minolta MD-I & MD 2x-S converter. Interesting to see how much CAs the FD 4.5/400mm has when stopped down. The nFD 2.8/400mm L (evene though not as good corrected as the 2.8/300 L and the 4.5/500L9 is a league of its own, especially at f2.8 (stopping down to f4.5 or even f8 slightly decreases the image quality).

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sony 2x for the A mount. It's pretty good except it only works AF on some lenses. I've gotten decent images with it in conjunction with the 70-400 G. I sold that lens to help fund the newer E-mount 100-400. The only Sony A mount lens I still have is the 200 2.8 APO. I also have quite a collection of Minolta AF lenses that it works with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have the Sony 2x for the A mount. It's pretty good except it only works AF on some lenses. I've gotten decent images with it in conjunction with the 70-400 G.

Interesting. I never tried that combination, even though I've been testing the 70-400G extensively for Sony when it came out. AF didn't work in combination with the A900 plus 2x APO converter I had back then, and accurate MF was nearly impossible since the A900 does not have live-view.

jamaeolus wrote:
The only Sony A mount lens I still have is the 200 2.8 APO. I also have quite a collection of Minolta AF lenses that it works with.

I have been using both Minolta / Sony APO Converters (the 1.4 APO as well as the 2x APO) occasionally with the Minolta / Sony AF 2.8/70-200mm G on the A900. Accurate AF always was a pain in the a** since a correct adjustment of the AF system at all focal lengths was demanding. Once I decided to calibrate just for the long end it was OK though. The performance on 24 MP FF was pretty OK; certainly MUCH better than crops ...

The combination of the 2.8/200mm APO with the 1.4x APO Converter is really good if stop down to f8 (eff). Equal to the old MinAF 2.8/300mm APO on 24 Mp FF!

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve that was interesting to see; it's a pretty clear comparison. Yeah, as expected CA is an issue, but like you said it's surprising to see that much of it with the lesser Canon even stopped down. I'd never bet on such result.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

From these results it's obvious that the Konica 2x Converter was optimized for longer lenses; S

Absolutely~ especially in the case of of nikon t/c's which usually had lens focal length recommendations for a great deal of the different units.

It appears that researching this ahead of time may pay reasonable dividends, to a certain extent.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

It appears that researching this ahead of time may pay reasonable dividends, to a certain extent.

-D.S.

I couldn't find any reasonable information on the Konica AR 2x teleconverter "ahead of time", so an experiment was needed Wink
I knew the Minolta MD-III 2x-S was optimized for MD-III 2/50mm (and works well with 85mm / 100mm / 135mm /200mm as well). ^

S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I couldn't find any reasonable information on the Konica AR 2x teleconverter "ahead of time", so an experiment was needed Wink
I knew the Minolta MD-III 2x-S was optimized for MD-III 2/50mm (and works well with 85mm / 100mm / 135mm /200mm as well). ^

S

LOL!

The above was more a personal reflection on myself, and not anyone else. Wink

The information on the nikon t/c's requires some pretty finely calibrated reading glasses to find on the NZ site.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#TC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#TC

Thanks! I was about to post the same link.

-D.S.