Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 180mm f/5.6 APO
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Sigma 180mm f/5.6 APO Reply with quote

Just received this lens I bought very cheaply from Japan. It has 2 really tiny fungus spots on the rear element that don't seem to appear on the image. It's now in my UV-C sterilizer, so the fungus will probably be killed and prevented from spreading further. The notorious sticky coating on the lens barrel has already been thoroughly removed by the former owner, which is a plus.
There is a MF and an AF version of the lens. I have the AF version, as the MF version is very hard to find. I use it with a manual MAF-Sony E adapter. Build quality is better than expected. Main advantages of this lens are that A) the lens is super tiny for a 200mm-ish lens, B) it has APO performance and C) can focus real close. It seems to be a great tele for traveling. Took a few shots around the house, and the results are quite promising IMO!

Click for full size.

SIGMAAF18056APO_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SIGMAAF18056APO by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty sharp and versatile lens (it performs pretty well at infinity as well, and it's easy to carry around). I enjoyed using it. The build quality is the only issue I had. Of course, I'd prefer it to be F2.8 or something like that; but then the size and weight would be quite different. I'd say it's a lens for those who really know what they want, so they are fine with 1:2 mag. ratio and slow speed. I liked the overall rendering too. The bokeh and colours are really nice, and sharpness won't be an issue...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"..UV-C sterilizer," - what is this things, self made or a ready product?

I use to take a sun bath with lenses from time to time ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s basically a box with uv-c lights and a mirror on the inside, meant to sterilize toys and other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
It's a pretty sharp and versatile lens (it performs pretty well at infinity as well, and it's easy to carry around). I enjoyed using it. The build quality is the only issue I had. Of course, I'd prefer it to be F2.8 or something like that; but then the size and weight would be quite different. I'd say it's a lens for those who really know what they want, so they are fine with 1:2 mag. ratio and slow speed. I liked the overall rendering too. The bokeh and colours are really nice, and sharpness won't be an issue...

I was looking for a while for a very compact lens in this focal range, that still delivers very solid optical performance. I don’t use this focal length an awful lot, I don’t want it to be a burden to take with me. So there’s not many options besides this lens (I paid 32€ + shipping), except for the Voigtlander 180/4 that usually goes for >1000€.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, there's absolutely no point to UV sterilizing a lens like this since a) if the lens is stored properly in dry conditions, the fungus will already be dead anyway and will not spread further, and b) the spores that cause fungal infections are ubiquitous in the air, and there's no such thing as a truly hermetically sealed camera lens, at least for anything vintage sold to end users. Even if you've managed to destroy the spores in a lens at any given time, it will draw more in it the moment you use it again.

Furthermore, the contention that lenses can "infect" each other is a myth as well. If multiple items stored together all develop fungus, it's not because fungus has magically jumped from one to another but rather because they're all stored improperly, and fungal spores in the dust already present in the lenses have become active due to environmental conditions conducive to fungal growth. In fact, putting lenses together in a bag makes it less likely that spores will spread from one to another, since there is little air circulation to carry the spores from place to place.

This is all information I have first-hand from a Cornell-trained PhD mycologist, whose opinion I respect quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Honestly, there's absolutely no point to UV sterilizing a lens like this since a) if the lens is stored properly in dry conditions, the fungus will already be dead anyway and will not spread further, and b) the spores that cause fungal infections are ubiquitous in the air, ...

This is all information I have first-hand from a Cornell-trained PhD mycologist, whose opinion I respect quite a bit.

Thanks for pointing out this again. Being a scientist myself (although in the field of chemistry/physics) I'v tried repeatedly to inform people here on the forum before ...

German Max Planck Institute for Chemistry says roughly 1000-10'000 spores per m3 in clean air, and back in 2008 they measured several hundred different species.
https://www.mpg.de/571443/pressemitteilung200907101

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:
Honestly, there's absolutely no point to UV sterilizing a lens like this since a) if the lens is stored properly in dry conditions, the fungus will already be dead anyway and will not spread further, and b) the spores that cause fungal infections are ubiquitous in the air, ...

Thanks for pointing out this again. Being a scientist myself (although in the field of chemistry/physics) I'v tried repeatedly to inform people here on the forum before ...

German Max Planck Institute for Chemistry says roughly 1000-10'000 spores per m3 in clean air, and back in 2008 they measured several hundred different species.

S

But...but.....id they can get into the lenses, they can get into my lungs!!! We all gonna die!! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

S

Indeed, I have also mentioned this on many occasions here, but it tends to fall on deaf ears.

The best way to avoid fungus is to store lenses below 60% RH, and to keep them clean from dust and other organic contamination. Without enough moisture fungal spores don't germinate, and without food any germination that does occur will be self-limiting.

According to Zeiss, the danger zone for spore germination is 3 or more days of sustained RH levels over 70%, which ties in with what I have read elsewhere:

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/consumer-products/service/content/fungus-on-lenses.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

S

Indeed, I have also mentioned this on many occasions here, but it tends to fall on deaf ears.

The best way to avoid fungus is to store lenses below 60% RH, and to keep them clean from dust and other organic contamination. Without enough moisture fungal spores don't germinate, and without food any germination that does occur will be self-limiting.

According to Zeiss, the danger zone for spore germination is 3 or more days of sustained RH levels over 70%, which ties in with what I have read elsewhere:

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/consumer-products/service/content/fungus-on-lenses.html

The same website also says “ Short solar radiation or irradiation with UV light may also help avoiding fungus.”

Conditions in my cabinet are probably generally OK to store lenses, although I don’t keep track of humidity. However, I don’t know how the lenses were stored in Japan, and the conditions while shipping are probably less than ideal. Doesn’t hurt to knock down any possible spreading fungus quickly with some UV I figured. Probably not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between a fungus spore murdered by exposure to UV light and a dormant fungus spore. One provides the scaffolding for new spore growth when conditions are favorable. One continues to grow when conditions are favorable.

I've also heard favorable conditions 70% humidity for three days. And I've heard powdery mildew crop infection occurs when ambient temperature drops to below 40F.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok , not aware of toy uv-c 'cleaning' light, but i get the concept.

the sun is highly effective.
when it shines.
and while is still for free.
but it looks like not for long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack of 5 images @ f/8 (click for full size):

2024-01-29 13-07-53 (B,R8,S4) by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
There is a difference between a fungus spore murdered by exposure to UV light and a dormant fungus spore. One provides the scaffolding for new spore growth when conditions are favorable. One continues to grow when conditions are favorable.

Problem is that - at any moment - you have literally thousands of spores in every m3 of air ...

And - not mentioned yet - glass is blocking UV-C completely ... (well, we are using quartz for UV spectroscopy, and not glass. And guess why lenses for UV photography are that expensive ... well, they only use quartz and fluorite lenses, no glass ...). And high refractive glass (used in nearly every lens from the 1970s onwards) has a low transmission even for the deep violet VIS spectrum ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Stack of 5 images @ f/8 (click for full size):

2024-01-29 13-07-53 (B,R8,S4) by devoscasper, on Flickr

Really good! Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Picture of the lens Reply with quote

Can you please post a picture of the lens the way it is today (after being stripped of the sticky plastic layer)?
I have in mind to do the same to my example. So I'm curious to see how it would look.
I have the same lens in PK mount (manual focus) that I bought new when the lens was released. It is one of the VERY few lenses I ever bought new.

Cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of the lens Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Can you please post a picture of the lens the way it is today (after being stripped of the sticky plastic layer)?
I have in mind to do the same to my example. So I'm curious to see how it would look.
I have the same lens in PK mount (manual focus) that I bought new when the lens was released. It is one of the VERY few lenses I ever bought new.

Cheers

Paolo

Sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that lens ever had a sticky coating? As far as I know SIGMA applied their screen printing on top of the ZEN soft-touch coating, so if you remove that sticky elastomer coating the screen printing would have been removed as well.

Unless at some point they changed to applying the screen printed markings first, and the ZEN elastomer coating after.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Are you sure that lens ever had a sticky coating? As far as I know SIGMA applied their screen printing on top of the ZEN soft-touch coating, so if you remove that sticky elastomer coating the screen printing would have been removed as well.

Unless at some point they changed to applying the screen printed markings first, and the ZEN elastomer coating after.

Pretty sure. The mf version definitely has, and this AF version looks sticky as well:
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/u1104796668?conversionType=search_suggest

Unless they stopped using the coating halfway the production of the AF, which is not unthinkable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: sticky coating Reply with quote

I have the Manual focus version, and mine developed the tackiness after years and years, when I decided to put the lens inside a new wooden chest that was still smelling (I guess the paint was not water based!). I believe that if had kept the lens in a place with some aeration it could have avoided getting sticky, cause the phenomenon happened at least 20 years after I bought the lens.

Regarding the serigraphy with all the diaphragm and focusing references, in my example it definitely is ON TOP of the surface plastic layer (ZEN finish).
Stripping one would also mean strip the other.
I had in mind to try some cure, but I had to clean the fungus first, cause that dammit chest attracted humidity and a few lenses got infested.
Now it's partially cleaned, and I might attempt a cure. I have in mind one of the spray fixatives that are sold in art stores. They are used to preserve drawings or other kind of paintings.
What do you think? Any other possible solution?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re removing a layer that actually holds the painted indications, I can’t think of a way to preserve those. The question is: do you really use? I know I hardly do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
If you’re removing a layer that actually holds the painted indications, I can’t think of a way to preserve those. The question is: do you really use? I know I hardly do.

I have a 14/3.5 SIGMA wideangle on which the markings are very useful which about 15 years ago developed the sticky ZEN finish problem.

What I did was I took a very careful measurement of all the markings & positions, found a sympathetic similar looking font and recreated them 1:1 in Excel as a white-on-black graphics file. I printed those off on a laser printer.

After I wiped off all the sticky ZEN finish and lost the printed markings, I attached the home-printed labels. Looks quite reasonable TBH.