Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help me understand the versions of "M39" mo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Please help me understand the versions of "M39" mo Reply with quote

Hi All,

I would appreciate some help in understanding the variations of the "M39" mount. My current understanding is that there are (at least?) two different versions:

1. Leica Screw Mount (LSM) / Leica Thread Mount (LTM) / L39 / Leica M39. These are all the same thing and according to Wikipedia is M39 x 26 TPI Whitworth, about 0.977mm. This has a flange distance of 28.8mm for rangefinder camera's.

2. "Soviet" M39 with a 1 mm DIN thread and a 45.2mm flange distance for an SLR.

Wikipedia also lists:

3. Canon J mount, M39 x 24 TPI.

I am assuming that you cannot tell the difference between a Leica M39 and a Soviet M39 by looking at a lens. So the classification would have to be made based on manufacturer? Anything of Soviet or East German origin would be for a 45.2mm flange distance and everything from a West German company would be for the 28.8mm flange distance?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of Soviet M39 lenses are 28.8mm for rangefinders. The only Soviet M39 lenses with the longer flange focal distance are for the early Zenit SLRs and the one you will see most often is the Helios 44.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The vast majority of Soviet M39 lenses are 28.8mm for rangefinders. The only Soviet M39 lenses with the longer flange focal distance are for the early Zenit SLRs and the one you will see most often is the Helios 44.

I know the following models of the Soviet M39 lenses М39х1 (45,2 мм):

Индустар-22
Индустар-50
Индустар-24М
Мир-1
Юпитер-6
Юпитер-9
Юпитер-11
Юпитер-21
Гелиос-40
Гелиос-44
Телемар-22
Таир-11
Таир-3

I may have forgotten some lenses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then, the vast majority of Soviet M39 lenses imported into Western Europe are with 28.8mm FFD for rangefinders.

The I-22 and I-50 are found in both M39 variants, so your list is confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Industar 50 for m39 SLR look like the industar 50-2 for m42. The ones for rangefinder/Ltm don't

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most M39 (actually M39 at 26tpi) lenses are either:

SLR - Zenit S/ZM39 (flange distance 45.2)
Rangefinder - Leica screw/LTM/L39 (flange distance 28.Cool
or enlarger lenses of no fixed flange distance

but there are quite a few more with the same threads yet different flange distances:

The Industar 69 from the Chaika half frame rangefinder with flange distance around 28mm (definitely shorter than LTM but easily modified to LTM)
Leitz viscoflex I has flange distance 40
Paxette series II has flange distance 44 (one source claims 45.7)
Kilarscope has flange distance 78.8
Kilarflex has flange distance 92.3

Going to other thread patterns while still M39:
Copal #1 lenses have a M39x0.75 mounting thread
Canon S lenses are mainly LTM, but the earliest are supposedly M39x1 the difference is tiny so this could be a measuring error.
Canon J lenses are reported as M39 at 24tpi

I've got the first 4 listed here all the others are just info collected from the web over the years Smile

Last edited by DConvert on Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Copal/Compur #1 is 40mm, but I'm not sure without checking, I do know you can't screw an M39 lens into one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Braun M39 lenses wit 44mm flange distance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the above replies I get the impression that M39 is the most varied size there is.

Would it be fair to say that as a rule of thumb (!), Russian lenses could be either 28.8mm or 45.2mm, and with some exceptions as noted most other lenses are probably 28.8mm but you can't be sure until you try?

It just occurred to me that I inherited an EXA to M39 and an M39 to EXA adapter with a lens I bought a while back. At least I assume it is M39 because it is too small for M42. I am assuming this is M39 at 45.2mm. The M39 (lens) to EXA (camera) looks like it could be correct for 45.2mm (haven't measured it). I don't see how you would go from EXA lens to M39 camera at 45.2mm while retaining infinity focus. These two adapters do fit each other both ways around.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think Copal/Compur #1 is 40mm, but I'm not sure without checking, I do know you can't screw an M39 lens into one.

According to my crib-sheet the front half of the lens mounts onto the shutter with a 40mmx0.75 thread the rear part uses a m36x0.75 & the shutter to lens board is M39x0.75 (a finer pitch than the normal M39 lenses) but it also has the standard lensboard hole as 41.6mm diameter

I don't think any of my standard shuttered lenses are as big as Copal#1 - I have Copal#00 & Copal#0 as well as some non standard sizes from old folding cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Reading the above replies I get the impression that M39 is the most varied size there is.

Would it be fair to say that as a rule of thumb (!), Russian lenses could be either 28.8mm or 45.2mm, and with some exceptions as noted most other lenses are probably 28.8mm but you can't be sure until you try?

It just occurred to me that I inherited an EXA to M39 and an M39 to EXA adapter with a lens I bought a while back. At least I assume it is M39 because it is too small for M42. I am assuming this is M39 at 45.2mm. The M39 (lens) to EXA (camera) looks like it could be correct for 45.2mm (haven't measured it). I don't see how you would go from EXA lens to M39 camera at 45.2mm while retaining infinity focus. These two adapters do fit each other both ways around.

Regards, C.

Is the EXA to M39 model for LTM cameras?

If you adapter allows infinity focus on LTM lenses you can use an extension tube for ZM39 (The longest of my Russian M39 set is perfect for this).

Most of the options are relatively unusual. For the common ones a quick google will usually find descriptions that explicitly state LTM or Zenit. The Industar 50 is the biggest potential difficulty as several quite different designs seem to be called the same thing!
My Ind. 50 is collapsible looking very much like the Ind 10, others are far wider & look like the Ind 50-2 on tubes...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Don't forget the Braun M39 lenses with 44mm flange distance
Yeah, I have a few of these Staeble Choro, Lineogon Kata. Some very nice glass. Piesker too IIRC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:

I don't think so. It has practically no length to it. When attached to an EXA lens the M39 threads end up being within the flange on the exakta lens.

With EXA being 44.7mm if you attached that to a 45.2mm M39 camera mount it wouldn't focus to infinity. If it were a 28.8mm M39 camera mount it would be much too short and as you say would require an extension tube.

The two adapters obviously are not a pair. The M39 to EXA is quite heavy, probably steel. The EXA to M39 is very lightweight, feels like aluminum.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I know the following models of the Soviet M39 lenses М39х1 (45,2 мм):

Индустар-22
Индустар-50
Индустар-24М
Мир-1
Юпитер-6
Юпитер-9
Юпитер-11
Юпитер-21
Гелиос-40
Гелиос-44
Телемар-22
Таир-11
Таир-3

I may have forgotten some lenses

I have never seen any silver Jupiter-21 (m39) exepted the only photo proving it existed.
But the Industar-61 L/Z can be tricky, in early years (1971, maybe 1972), it was available in M42 and M39 (it is written in the 1971 catalog). I have met so far only 2 of them, so the vaste majority was in M42, but still...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
DConvert wrote:

I don't think so. It has practically no length to it. When attached to an EXA lens the M39 threads end up being within the flange on the exakta lens.

With EXA being 44.7mm if you attached that to a 45.2mm M39 camera mount it wouldn't focus to infinity. If it were a 28.8mm M39 camera mount it would be much too short and as you say would require an extension tube.

The two adapters obviously are not a pair. The M39 to EXA is quite heavy, probably steel. The EXA to M39 is very lightweight, feels like aluminum.

Regards, C.

If just within the Exa flange that suggests Braun/Paxette (44mm flange) it would have to be quite heavily recessed for the other shorter mounts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M39 is only a diameter of thread measurement, its actually a bit too vague IMO, like calling AR, SR, EF , F, etc "Bayonet Mount" but sadly that's the mess we're given to deal with from manufacturers that didn't consider how things would change in the future with regard to adapting lenses from every conceivable mount made and the confusion it will unleash on the novice adapter enthusiast, thankfully there are resources such as this wonderful site full of wonderful sharing/helpful people to help lift the fog of confusion and make adapting as painless as it can be.
Like Dog Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

I have never seen any silver Jupiter-21 (m39) exepted the only photo proving it existed.

oh yes! i'm too
http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248189176748.html

additionally I have remembered that the MTO lenses also had an M39 thread (45,2 мм).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Why is the 21m so much heavier than the 21 and 21A. Respectively 980,690 and 740grams. Did they put in a bigger hunk of glass?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
But Why is the 21m so much heavier than the 21 and 21A. Respectively 980,690 and 740grams. Did they put in a bigger hunk of glass?

Different construction, 21M has an auto-preset system. 21A has a simple preset system (2 rings).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Different construction, 21M has an auto-preset system. 21A has a simple preset system (2 rings).

That has to be the worst designed automatic aperture ever then if it ads 240 grams. It also feels pretty shaky to me when operating.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zorki4 that came with a Jupiter 8, camera never worked right and was boxed
A few weeks back I received a Leica IIIf (Elmar 50/3.5) from a friend and I brought the J8 back from the box with the idea to use it.
Len fit well in the camera. However, the cam that moves the RF wheel is of different lengths, and thus the RF doesnt work with both lenses

At infinity I have 7.83mm in the Elmar but only 7.76mm on the J8.
Elmar (10ft) 3.05m 6.68mm J8 3m 6.60

I managed to bring the Zorki4 to open in B mode (at least) and got the same results.
While in a ground glass both were focusing correctly, the RF was out of whack for the Elmar.

In conclusion the cam lenghts are not standard in the FSU lenses, and basically you have to calibrate your camera RF per lens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK in flange focal distance order you have these common 39mm standards that cause confusion:

Soviet Chaika. The lenses have a 27.5 mm focal distance (the 28mm f2.8 will fit a Leica but it wont focus, or cover the frame)

The LTM (Leica thread mount) is British standard, 39mm by 26 turns per inch and a flange focal of 28.8mm

Soviet rangefinder lenses are M39, to all intents and purposes the same as LTM. (Although the RF coupling isn't precisely the same, I've never experienced issues.)

B39 (AKA M39) for Braun Paxette. 44mm FFD

ZM39 Soviet Zenit, with an FFD of 45.2mm (NOT 45.46 as reported elsewhere)

Some Leitz and other lenses may have an LTM screw designed for the PLOOT or Visoflex 1 (62.5mm FFD),

Kilarscope (78.8mm FFD) and Kilarflex (92.3mm FFD) though those tend to be 400mm or over lenses.

Then there are enlarging lenses. Standard M39 or LTM screw fit, but no fixed back focus

The Chinese Great Wall, which just had the one lens FFD unknown but likely to be > 60mm

To my knowledge the early Canon Hansa models used a bayonet mount (invented by Nikon) then changed to LTM. I'm not aware of a different screw thread.

Last edited by philslizzy on Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Like 1 Like 1 Thank you! philslizzy!