Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hugo Meyer Plasmat 3½ inch f1.5 (c.1935)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Hugo Meyer Plasmat 3½ inch f1.5 (c.1935) Reply with quote

VM indicates this focal length was was used with the Primarflex and Prima Reflex 6x9 cameras, unlike the similar-but-different Kino Plasmats, which dates it to 1929-1939. I can only find Meyer serials from 1940. Certainly one of the earliest fast Plasmats at 4xx,xxx. It's in rather beautiful condition - optically near-perfect. Appears to be uncoated. Bokeh is sublime. It came with a home-brew M42 mount. I think many of these similar lenses were factory converted for M39.

Highly gratifying to be shooting with it almost a century after it was made. It's period soft at f1.5 - but my goodness, shooting at f1.5 at all must have been mind-blowingly futuristic in 1935! - but by f2.8 it's credibly sharp, even on a full-frame digital camera of 2023. This image is shot at f2.8, uncropped, handheld resampled from 43MP, with some contrast adjustment and modest sharpening.

Does anyone have any more information about this vintage beauty?

And, incidentally, does anyone know how I can upload pix to this forum in a way that doesn't absolutely desaturate the colour? I've tried embedding every possible profile, but the upload process turns everything almost grey . . .

Last edited by 16:9 on Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hugo Meyer Plasmat 3½ inch f1.5 (c.1935) Reply with quote

16:9 wrote:
...incidentally, does anyone know how I can upload pix to this forum in a way that doesn't absolutely desaturate the colour? I've tried embedding every possible profile, but the upload process turns everything almost grey . . .

Unfortunately that fix requires website changes. Click the desaturated image to open the original upload image. The color saturation difference is easy to see here, indeed a great example of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, at that speed and for that time, the sharpness is phenomenal!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. I'll try to get out tomorrow and shoot some more with it. Unfortunately I only have 35mm. This is a lens I'd buy a GFX for! Here's a couple of shots at f2.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2.8 its sweet spot, though. Not sure why that should be such a surprise – a lens peaking two stops down from wide open – but I don't shoot with lenses this old very often, and it's something of a shock to find it behaving in such a 'modern' manner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the target market was almost exclusively B&W the colors are very very good!