Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

For $155. When I look at the sample photos, I feel the lens renders slightly different to the trioplans I tried. Anyway, good to see a cheaper alternative which helps to maintain the price of the original copy.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-ttartisan-100mm-f-2-8-a-modern-and-affordable-trioplan/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
For $155. When I look at the sample photos, I feel the lens renders slightly different to the trioplans I tried. Anyway, good to see a cheaper alternative which helps to maintain the price of the original copy.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-ttartisan-100mm-f-2-8-a-modern-and-affordable-trioplan/

I was excited to see it and have ordered one. I don't have a Trioplan 100mm but the rendering looks close to my Diaplan 100mm. I also like that they kept a similar exterior design to the original. Hopefully it will have better flare resistance than my Diaplan.

Looking at the new German Trioplan I think that lens is not very elegant and the bokeh rendering is not similar the original. It's also too expensive. So it's great to have a cheaper and maybe better option.

I always wondered why there were no Chinese Trioplan replicas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the samples it look like it will take some effort to tease out great bubbles

Here is a direct link to the shop btw: https://ttartisan.myshopify.com/products/m42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a bit of practice to find good subjects with an appropriate bubble generating background at the same time. At least for me.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to my Diaplan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say how it will go. People frequenting manual focus lens groups seem to fall into some distinct groups. Some prioritise haptics, vintage aesthetics, and general scarcity in their choices. For those people, only a genuine trioplan will do. Others focus more on taking the pictures, and like old lenses for the reasonable price/performance they provide. They should be quite happy with such a lens.

I have to admit, if DJI made the lens just that little bit sexier, i.e. with vintage lens styling to match the best of the 50s/60s, they could double the price and I'd still buy it. The Leica font on many modern manual focus lenses bugs me personally, it's particularly ugly IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
It's hard to say how it will go. People frequenting manual focus lens groups seem to fall into some distinct groups. Some prioritise haptics, vintage aesthetics, and general scarcity in their choices. For those people, only a genuine trioplan will do. Others focus more on taking the pictures, and like old lenses for the reasonable price/performance they provide. They should be quite happy with such a lens.

I have to admit, if DJI made the lens just that little bit sexier, i.e. with vintage lens styling to match the best of the 50s/60s, they could double the price and I'd still buy it. The Leica font on many modern manual focus lenses bugs me personally, it's particularly ugly IMO.

I totally agrees with you. I don't mind buying another trioplan if it has some quality better than the old one. Trioplan has a special place in my heart. For me, it is not just a lens that gives bubbles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, cannot agree more Calvin! It is indeed a special lens!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know. Thanks. Placed an order.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely pretty cool for some purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He who gets it first can make a common picture thread!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it makes some interesting sunstars. That was unexpected.

I don't think it's for me, but I approve of the concept of recreating beloved old lenses using M42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review popped up in YT.

https://youtu.be/FL5JMgKe2Fw

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
This review popped up in YT.

https://youtu.be/FL5JMgKe2Fw

Cheers

The photos on this one looks closer to the original.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

It arrived today.

The first impression is that it feels well made. The focus ring has perhaps a bit too much resistance but it might be good for fine tuning focus.
The aperture ring feels well balanced.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
It arrived today.

Nice, so fast. Mine is said to arrive on 8/21.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focusing ring may be slightly stiffer in the beginning and loosen up a bit with use. I'd expect that to be the case, it happened to me with some lenses and helicoids. Enjoy your lens! I'm too lazy to deal with customs, so I may buy one some other time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
blotafton wrote:
It arrived today.

Nice, so fast. Mine is said to arrive on 8/21.

I was a bit surprised too, I ordered it around midday as soon as I saw the first review.

Dejan wrote:
The focusing ring may be slightly stiffer in the beginning and loosen up a bit with use. I'd expect that to be the case, it happened to me with some lenses and helicoids. Enjoy your lens! I'm too lazy to deal with customs, so I may buy one some other time.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I never buy new lenses so no experience there and it's my first Chinese lens too.

This was a bit odd but I paid the customs charges to the delivery van driver.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

May I know how much you paid for the shipping and customs charges?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

446 SEK, including 25% VAT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

446 SEK, including 25% VAT.

Thanks! That means it is free shipping! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is 155 eur (or was until yesterday), plus important taxes of course, and the shipping is free. They offer free shipping for orders over 99 bucks. There are sites where the lens is more expensive though (like Pergear shop and I don't know), so those should be avoided in this case.