Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-6 | My first weekend with this huge lens!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-6 | My first weekend with this huge lens! Reply with quote

Recently I picked up this huge Soviet lens, and last weekend was my first time to try it out.
For a short review on Youtube click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTjWbK_xvc

A small size comparison with the Helios 44

All pictures are straight out of camera(Sony A7iii), no color correction or anything

Wide open you can see some CA (check his soulders/backpack)

Stop it down a bit and this lens is razor sharp

Also I love the bokeh

I've only tried this lens for about an hour or so, but I already love it. It's really heavy though, 1.5 kg and the focus ring isn't that smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid photos with distinctive character coming from this Jupiter. Post more please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Splendid photos with distinctive character coming from this Jupiter. Post more please.

Thanks, a few more:

The setup: I did not use this filter, but it's only there for 'protection'

Not 100% in focus, but it's a great lens for portraits

Taken from 20(?) meters away

It's not easy to focus with this lens

This is what I tried to focus on

Chromatic abberation visble again on his shoes and glasses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also likes it as well:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
He also likes it as well:

I wonder how many copies of this lens were made. Do you have any idea? My lens starts with 000, I've never had an early serial like that before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:

I wonder how many copies of this lens were made. .

There isn't any exact information. It is copy of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2,8/180, which had been developed for the production in the Soviet Union at the year 1949, and moved for the production to KMZ at the end of 50-th. But anyway it was not too much of them produced. You copy evidently is from the first year of the production. Which means good optical quality, but the horrible coating. Anyway, I never have seen it with the decent coating. Not to say about MC.

They allege that Vivitar 200mm f/3 Series 1 has the same optical design, as that lens. However I doubt it, because evidently they are of the completely different optical phormulas:

www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/jupiter-6.html

https://lens-club.ru/public/files/pdfs/d5da69495a780a8ddc81fb5b5b60f9e1.pdf

And the character of the picture also is completely different:

Vivitar 200mm f/3 Series 1 f/3.0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
Baekmann wrote:

I wonder how many copies of this lens were made. .

There isn't any exact information. It is copy of Carl Zeiss Sonnar 2,8/180, which had been developed for the production in the Soviet Union at the year 1949, and moved for the production to KMZ at the end of 50-th. But anyway it was not too much of them produced. You copy evidently is from the first year of the production. Which means good optical quality, but the horrible coating. Anyway, I never have seen it with the decent coating. Not to say about MC.
[/b] f/3.0

In 1949, it was designed for the use on RF camera Kiev, with the help of a reflex cage (like the Olympia Zeiss too).

(photo from auction house Wetzlar)

KMZ designed the construction for reflex camera.
I'm not sure this copy is from the first year of production. If you take the exemple of Helios-40, during the first year (1956), they produced only 50 exemplars...
MTO 350 (1956) - 64 exemplars
MTO 500 (1956) - 73 exemplars
MTO 1000 (1956) - 88 exemplars

So I would not be so sure about the fact that this lens was made during the first year. Also in KMZ, it appears that they switched from red P to without red P in the first part of 1961. I have never met a red P Jupiter-6. I have 000068 serial exemplar, no red P. As the lens received in 1960 the award of VDNH, there can be different hypothesis :
-The first years of production of the Jupiter-6 was pretty eractic (almost no lens produced until first part of 60's)
-The assembly line of Jupiter-6 was not using the red P before other ones (which can be true because the production norms were chaotic).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a sovietized jena 180 right? Or is it recalculated?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann, a great series of shots!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
This is just a sovietized jena 180 right? Or is it recalculated?

Recalculated for the use with soviet glass quality.