Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 sample images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 sample images Reply with quote

At 105mm and f5.6
Bitterly cold for October on this session.
Image above is a crop and has had some slight contrast and sharpening adjustments.

Macro setting at the 105mm position and f5.6.
Shot on monochrome.
Image is a crop- the close focus distance is a bit on the longish side.
It is otherwise un-manipulated.
Lens pictured has been a work-horse for me, and it's one that I keep coming back to.
5 screw "K" conversion with the odd long prong over the rear element.

High contrast subject study in monochrome.
At the 35mm setting and f5.6
A bit more barrel curvature than I was expecting, but not un-reasonable.
The generic for 50mm focal length collapsing rubber hood I was using is vignetting here. I will have to find a proper hood for this lens.

Same image details as above.

Airport control tower at 105mm and f5.6.

The white horizontal bar above the glass dome is radar apparatus, and rotates rapidly- about 90 r.p.m.

At f4 and 105mm here.
Good contrast, especially for the dull and heavy over-cast skies we've had.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good and reallistic rendering. And nice BW shots of urban locations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Alex.

This lens surprised me quite a bit.
It's sweet spot on 105mm seems to be between 15 and 30 feet as far as detail goes.
The rendering is a bit less "modern" than I was expecting.
I think this is a lens definitely worth keeping, at least for me.
It won't be winning any sharpness contests above MFD, but I still like it a lot.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more work with this lens:

At MFD here at 105mm with high ISO and wide open.

Center crop of above image.

At 105mm and f8 here.

Center crop of above image.

Bottom r/h corner crop.

Crop from about 50mm and the macro lug engaged. Wide open.
The zone of focus when being used in this mode is incredibly shallow. A tripod and focusing rail would make images like this much better and easier to take. Still, given enough light, I try. Wink

Wide open here at 35mm and high ISO.
As an architectural lens, it simply isn't.
Barley acceptable barrel distortion along the edges.
I need to work with this a bit more and see if stopping down will clear the distortion a bit.

All images un-manipulated except for re-size.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a very good lens as long as you work around a few weaknesses.

Another Nikon zoom lens I can recommend is the Nikon AF 28-70/3.5-4.5D. Because it has a dedicated aperture ring it's perfectly usable as a mf lens.

Strengths:
- very, very sharp at all settings (asph element)
- good ca performance
- good vignetting performance
- great sunstars
- light and compact

Drawbacks are:
- inferior (though not bad) build quality compared to ai(s) lenses.
- rotating front element.

Performance is comparable to Nikon AF 28-70/2.8, except the speed of course.

I wil post some test images soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Doc Sharptail"]
Doc Sharptail wrote:

It won't be winning any sharpness contests above MFD, but I still like it a lot.

Wide open here at 35mm and high ISO.
As an architectural lens, it simply isn't.
Barley acceptable barrel distortion along the edges.

-D.S.

Thanks for showing these images - they pretty much confirm what I have seen when testing my own own vintage 35-105 lenses. For landscape / architecture (my main field of work) they are not the best choice. Buth the entire set of those Nikkor zooms with the distinctive focus ring rubber (43-86 II, 35-105, 35-135, and 35-200) is a nice piece of lens history, of course.

Another class is the Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70mm* (and probably also the 25-50mm which has the same basic construction). This 35-70 is clearly one of the best vintage zooms I'm aware of, with virtually no distortion over the entire 35-70mm range (<1%!!).

S

the one with 62 mm filter ring, NOT the earlier version with 72mm filter!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Thanks for showing these images - they pretty much confirm what I have seen when testing my own own vintage 35-105 lenses. For landscape / architecture (my main field of work) they are not the best choice. Buth the entire set of those Nikkor zooms with the distinctive focus ring rubber (43-86 II, 35-105, 35-135, and 35-200) is a nice piece of lens history, of course.

Another class is the Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70mm* (and probably also the 25-50mm which has the same basic construction). This 35-70 is clearly one of the best vintage zooms I'm aware of, with virtually no distortion over the entire 35-70mm range (<1%!!).

S

the one with 62 mm filter ring, NOT the earlier version with 72mm filter!

While not a technical wonder, I like it's small size.
It is a huge improvement for me in the nikkor zoom line, and the first that stays in the daily carry bag, so far.
The count of "Usable" (ymmv here) images taken with it is surprisingly high. It could be that I came into it with fairly low expectations. Wink

Nikkor wide zooms of the m/f variety are not often seen for sale around here.
I'll try to keep an eye out for the lenses you and Caspert have mentioned, but it's probably going to take a bit of time.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the 25-50 f4. A wonderful lens IMO. The rendering makes for nice landscape photos. Have yet to use it for anything else but I will soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
I also have the 25-50 f4. A wonderful lens IMO. The rendering makes for nice landscape photos. Have yet to use it for anything else but I will soon.

That's a lens I'm still missing in my small Nikkor collection! Norio Mizutani's optical design - finished in 1976 - was pateted in the US, and both the 4/25-50 as well as the 2nd version of the 3.5/35-70 were based on this patent. I really like the Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70, even though it is much bigger than e. g. the Minolta counterpart. Of course its design is based on the groundbreaking Canon FD 2.8-3-5/35-70mm, but in addition to the good detail resolution of the Canon, the Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70 has very little distortion.

One day, maybe ... (the 25-50 I mean) !

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the nikkor 25-50 as soon as it came out. I was a kid at the time, and its cost was very challenging for me, but I didn't regret it. At that time there were no other markedly wide-angle zooms with similar quality, I think, and it served me well for many years until I switched to Leica. Today I would be curious to test it again, but it is not a common lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It continues to be a pleasant lens to use.

A bit of un-intended levity here. At f5.6 and ISO 200. About the 90mm mark. The two fellows in the foreground were clowning around a bit. My attention, and focus were on the girls sitting on the edge of the pier. Wide range of facial expressions here. Good potential as a street lens.

MFD here without engaging the macro lug. Taken at twilight and ISO 1600 at f5.6 at the 35mm setting.

Sunset was trying to poke through the heavy cloud layer here with minimal success. A bit of shadow detail came up better than expected.
At 105mm and f5.6 at ISO 200.

-D.S.