Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon-DX 2.8/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Yashinon-DX 2.8/35 Reply with quote

I reaaaalllly like Yashinon DX lenses.
I just received this one from Jan (Tedat) and took a few quick shots in our kitchen.
It did not disappoint
More to come
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice pics.

Congrats, the lens is a keeper, at least in close focus images.

But what happens with far landscapes?

Some wide angles rendering is OK in close focus, but with landscapes......

Thanks for sharing.

Horacio.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color and sharpness, creamy out-of-focus background. At this close focus range you get a surprisingly small depth of field for a 2.8 max aperture. Were you shooting on full frame or APC?

P.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lens is attached to my Fujifilm X-E1 which is APS-C.
It is too windy outside to try to show a landscape shot, but I will post some later.
Incidentally, the images above were shot at ISO 3200 and 4000 - not bad for a little APS-C sensor.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, not quite big picture landscapes, but an example of what the lens can do.
OH

Detail from number 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to that Vivitar you have?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahinon Dx lenses are superior, to me. Just my humble take. And they are very sexy lenses too... Bravo Oldhand!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jeff - I agree with you. For a long time they were an overlooked lens series - as were the Yashinons generally I think.
Ergonomically they are a pleasure to use as well.

dimitrygo wrote:
How does it compare to that Vivitar you have?

It is better than the Vivitar in my opinion - not as soft at wider apertures, and I don't have to work as hard to produce a good result.
............ and I am grateful to Jan for supplying it to me.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sample photos! Really enjoyed the 1st one.
The 35mm has the same great characteristics as their 50mm f/2 and f/1.7.
While hunting for wider lenses for my APS-C, I missed opportunities for a 28 and 35mm DX. Boy do I feel sorry for that now.

If the Vivitar mentioned above is the one made by Tokina, I eventually ended up with one. Tried one early and one later M42 version, and the T4 version. I found the lens to be incredibly good, better than the Super Takumar 35mm f3.5.
If the Yashinon DX is considered better, it must be outstanding.

I also really like Yashica Yashinons. I began with a DS 50mm f/2 found in a pawn shop for $5.99. I was surprised how nice the colors were rendered and how sharp the images were. And how easy it was to shoot and compose with it. Up to that point, I never considered Yashinons. Since then, I've tried a number of DS and DX primes and all are excellent. Will continue to search for wide angles, but the prices have risen over the months!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words.
Still breezy outside so there could be some movement in the following images.
Here are a couple more.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, this looks by far the best performing Yashica lens I have seen! Congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! Especially the first three, I really dig the bokeh and the crispness.
No pp?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Lovely! Especially the first three, I really dig the bokeh and the crispness.
No pp?

Thank you Ian and cgustav. Shot in RAW so yes there is PP.
The first three are @ f2.8 and PP was minimal - convert to .jpg and exposure adjust.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to expand my wide angle collection, and after seeing your pictures I am strongly considering I come across one of these for a reasonable price. Your results are outstanding.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Yashinon-DX 2.8/35 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I reaaaalllly like Yashinon DX lenses.

and again I see why Wink

Oldhand wrote:

It is better than the Vivitar in my opinion - not as soft at wider apertures, and I don't have to work as hard to produce a good result.
............ and I am grateful to Jan for supplying it to me.

I'm glad I could help you with this copy... it's a great lens and your photos show it. I don't have the Vivitar, but a few more 2.8/35mm Yashinons from this period:

Super Yashinon-R 2.8/3,5cm
Super Yashinon DX 2.8/35mm
Auto Yashinon 2.8/3.5cm

Except the 3.5cm Auto Yashinon which looks like a Auto Yashinon DX 2.8/35 twin (I guess it's the same lens just with a different name), they are all much softer at wider apertures.. especially at far distances. Ergonomically they are all a pleasure to use, way better than the later DS or ML versions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictures!!!!

In the past I had hear not so good things about the 2,8/35 yashica ML.

This should be one of the few M42 yashinons better than the C/Y version?

If I remember well, in german forums the yashinon DX is not very loved. I think they are wrong.

The images showed here, demostrate that the 2,8/35 DX is a great lens.

My Hexanon AR not seems be best but the contrary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

If I remember well, in german forums the yashinon DX is not very loved. I think they are wrong.

yes they are wrong... but I think those people didn't use a DX. Most times they just talk about "not multicoated" and "DSM and ML lenses are far superior" but in reality none of them owned and used a Auto Yashinon DX. Good for me.. without this "negative hype" I would have paid much more. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, took the dog for a run down by the river this evening.
Between chasing him and fending off other interested canines, I managed to snap a few images.
Forgive the lack of thought or composition, but my muse was constantly being interrupted Very Happy

Here we go anyway.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the bridge!
Nice!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a very versatile lens! In your capable hands you get very fine images.

I only have one Yashinon DX and I love the quality, especially the smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes... especially #3 for me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always surprising to see the difference in the results between the practical use and the pixel peeping quality of a lens.
At least my copy of this lens is most probably the worst of all my 35mm lenses in direct comparison as can be seen here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-different-35mm-lenses-on-aps-c-sensor-t71258,highlight,%2B35mm+%2Btest.html
That proves again that (almost) any lens is able to deliver good results as long as the man (or woman) behind the camera knows how to use it. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenses are made for real live photos... not for testing charts Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got in a good condition. Neds some more " testing" but works great..