Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

replace Vivitar 55mm 2.8 OM mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: replace Vivitar 55mm 2.8 OM mount Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've bought this lens some days ago and would like to change the mount to adapt it to sony.
Currently I've never used OM mount and would not want to buy an adapter to carry it with me only for this lens, a Nikon mount would fit me better for example.
So I've found this adapter that supposedly replaces one mount for another and ut works the infinity. Do you guys have any idea if ut would really work or should I look for another option? I do have the OM to EOS adapter fitted to the lens.

Last edited by kiddo on Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited: OP was edited after my original reply. LOL

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: replace Vivitar 55mm 2.8 OM mount Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Hi everyone, I've bought this lens some days ago and would like to change the mount to adapt it to sony.
Currently I've never used OM mount and would not want to buy an adapter to carry it with me only for this lens, a Nikon mount would fit me better for example.
So I've found this adapter that supposedly replaces one mount for another and ut works the infinity. Do you guys have any idea if ut would really work or should I look for another option? I do have the OM to EOS adapter fitted to the lens.

I'm assuming you're using a mirrorless Sony body. Do you not have an EOS to Sony E adapter?

The cost of EOS -> Sony E used in good condition is about the same price as the pictured bayonet conversion. And it opens up a lot of future doors.

Once an OM -> EOS adapter is stuck on this lens, it can be left on it - and it just *becomes* an EOS lens, arguably.

Still, that mount replacement is pretty interesting, but best hope your lens doesn't have floating elements, which I don't think it does (but others might, such as zooms).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Sony mirrorless and my interest is to avoid buying/holding for an adapter that I would only use on this particular lens.
I have no clue about this lens design (including mount ring) if replacing the mount it is just straight by removing screws , in some cases ,OM lenses would include part of the diaphragm mechanism with the mount ring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I'm using Sony mirrorless and my interest is to avoid buying/holding for an adapter that I would only use on this particular lens.

My own approach would be to get an OM Sony E adapter and treat the lens/adapter combination as an E mount lens. The extra bulk and weight would be minimal, as is the cost difference between the adapter pictured and a low cost om/E adapter. If you want to use it with other F mount things like extension rings and bellows than having it in F mount makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind though that F mount versions of this lens have been sold for around 60 euro, so how much financial sense converting an Om version makes is debatable. Still, trying novel approaches can be fun, and it may make sense in your situation.

kiddo wrote:
I have no clue about this lens design (including mount ring) if replacing the mount it is just straight by removing screws , in some cases ,OM lenses would include part of the diaphragm mechanism with the mount ring.

One listing I found for this conversion ring lists these lenses as incompatible:

OM-Zuiko 28/2.8
OM-Zuiko 40/2.0
OM-Zuiko 50/1.8
OM -Zuiko 50/1.4
OM -Zuiko 135/3.5
OM-Olympus Auto 65-116mm tube

I'm quite certain they won't have tested all 3rd party lenses, so there is a chance the Vivitar is incompatible as well. Maybe you can tell by looking at the aperture connecting systems of these lenses whether the Vivitar is similarly likely to pose a problem. If you do go this route, please report back on whether it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, it's hard to see these lenses go for 60€ nowadays (not saying impossible?) and F mount is more demanded I guess.
I'll allow me few more days to decide , my first issue is to avoid to carry another adapter with me , sometimes ,on hiking , that's very important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding this info for anyone interested in attempting something similar in the future:

The Vivitar lenses of that era (mostly Kirons and Komines both "regular" and S1), have mounts specific to the lens models and are completely different in size and screw position from those on OEM lenses. They are semi-modular in that usually, portions ahead of the aperture ring are reused from one brand's mount to another, typically with two main variants, depending on whether the aperture closing lever moves clockwise or counterclockwise on the target mount.

The apertures themselves sometimes are constructed so they can be rotated into different positions while being assembled to accommodate different mounts, with the positions sometimes marked with the initial of each brand marking the position in which it should be inserted.

The long and short of it is that if you have a donor lens from a mount with a lever that moves the right way, you can sometimes do a transplant, but it may involve re-shimming and/or adjusting the infinity stop to have accurate focus, and it's typically way more trouble than it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: replace Vivitar 55mm 2.8 OM mount Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Hi kiddo, Zuikos have two levers on the bayonet towards the camera, Nikkors just one. And their positions on the bayonet are different. Did you get an instruction how to fit that adapter? To me, it looks like you need to cut one or both levers away to make that work. If that is so, then I personally wouldn´t do that. I´d go for a proper OM-NEX adapter and be done with it, thus leave the lens original and be able to sell it, if it´s not to your liking.

I had just one lens in Canon FD-Mount, but recently a colleague donated his entire Canon collection to me, including a Bokina. And then I was happy that I had the adapter already.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've not disassembled enough to determine a pattern, nor looked for a pattern, nor am a repair person, nor do I repair lenses much-

but some lenses have their aperture lever 'ends' I suppose you could call them attached via screws, so can be removed.

On a separate level you could also count easily removed and accessible aperture lever 'assemblies'.

Most recent one which counts as wholly easy was Makinon 28-80mm f3.5 in PK mount.

Let's not forget the first part, though - any baffle at the rear of the lens. Often held by set screws on side of bayonet, or in some cases just glued on (Praktica P/B lenses), or perhaps rarely attached to the rear side of the mount. This'll be something you lose with a bayonet with different rear construction on, unless it's just the right diameter to be glued in or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thanks for your input, it's hard to see these lenses go for 60€ nowadays (not saying impossible?) and F mount is more demanded I guess.
I'll allow me few more days to decide , my first issue is to avoid to carry another adapter with me , sometimes ,on hiking , that's very important.

The prices are all over the place, I just checked ebay.de, the last few Vivitar 55mm macro were sold for 87 (Nikon F), 69 and 20 euro. Currently they are on offer from 50 to 240 euro, including a Nikon F mount for 69 euro but that one is in not great condition. So my first estimate may be a bit low but if you aren't in a hurry there are good bargains to be had.

If weight is a major concern, a good 50/2.8 enlarging lens plus helicoid may be great alternative.

Anyway, if you do get the pixco conversion set, let us know whether it works well for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
kiddo wrote:

The prices are all over the place, I just checked ebay.de, the last few Vivitar 55mm macro were sold for 87 (Nikon F), 69 and 20 euro. Currently they are on offer from 50 to 240 euro, including a Nikon F mount for 69 euro but that one is in not great condition. So my first estimate may be a bit low but if you aren't in a hurry there are good bargains to be had.

If weight is a major concern, a good 50/2.8 enlarging lens plus helicoid may be great alternative.

Anyway, if you do get the pixco conversion set, let us know whether it works well for you.

While the Vivitar is a largish lens (partially necessary for it to achieve 1:1), it is worth noting that it is surprisingly light given its size, at only about 310g.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
While the Vivitar is a largish lens (partially necessary for it to achieve 1:1), it is worth noting that it is surprisingly light given its size, at only about 310g.

Good point, my M42 version weighs only 301g. But a random 50/2.8 enlarging lens I checked (Schneider Rogonar-S) only weighs 87g. So even if you include a helicoid, it will still be less than the Vivitar. And since the OP said that the weight of an extra OM-E adapter (roughly 90g) is a big deal to him I guess weight means a lot to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, for the replacement mount to work easily, you need the screw holes to line up with those of the lens. Looking at an ebay auction for the OM-Vivitar 55/2.8 there are 3 screws, like the original Olympus mounts. The arrangement of those three screws seems different though for the Vivitar and the Olympus lenses. On the Vivitar the screws seem evenly spaced, creating an equilateral triangle, on Olympus lenses the triangle isn't equilateral, I measure the distances between the centre of the screws as 49.8, 44.3 and 43.5mm. If your Vivitar doesn't match these numbers, you will at least need to drill new holes in the replacement mount.

For the rest, the Vivitar OM mount looks close to identical to Olympus ones. I have no way of telling how thick the body of the mount is, so you may need shimming or sanding to match infity focus. All the moving aperture parts seem not to interfere with the mount, apart from the two original buttons on the side. You don't need those anyway as the lens will be manual aperture only and the lens release button is on the camera side for Nikon F mount.