Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica 28mm lens info
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Praktica 28mm lens info Reply with quote

Hi all, first post here.
I have been dabbling using MF lenses on my DSLR for a year or so now and grabbing any m42 lenses I find going cheap at charity shops for my experimentation. Yesterday I got a whole bundle of lenses and among them was a Praktica 28mm f2.8 lens which I can't seem to find any info on anywhere. As I have been reading threads on this site to educate myself since beginning my MF lens journey I thought I would bite the bullet and join up to ask.

Its marked as 'macro' and focuses really quite close, I'm looking forward to some better weather and getting some close focused wide angle flower shots. Its 'way' better than my only other 28mm lens which is a Prinzflex

I seem to be able to find lots of Practica'r' 28mm lenses about but none marked as Praktica, has anyone gone any insights into it?

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT*(Not sure what has happened to my pics, they were there in the preview...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Praktica 28mm lens info Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
Hi all, first post here.
I have been dabbling using MF lenses on my DSLR for a year or so now and grabbing any m42 lenses I find going cheap at charity shops for my experimentation. Yesterday I got a whole bundle of lenses and among them was a Praktica 28mm f2.8 lens which I can't seem to find any info on anywhere. As I have been reading threads on this site to educate myself since beginning my MF lens journey I thought I would bite the bullet and join up to ask.

Its marked as 'macro' and focuses really quite close, I'm looking forward to some better weather and getting some close focused wide angle flower shots. Its 'way' better than my only other 28mm lens which is a Prinzflex

I seem to be able to find lots of Practica'r' 28mm lenses about but none marked as Praktica, has anyone gone any insights into it?

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT*(Not sure what has happened to my pics, they were there in the preview...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin, not sure why they aren't loading in my initial post.
I'm still trying to figure out how the forum works. Smile

ARGH! They are there now!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a similar lens with Albinar, Paragon and Sirius etc.. I have no idea of its original.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have seen a similar lens with Albinar, Paragon and Sirius etc.. I have no idea of its original.

Yes, I have seen quite a few different branded 28mm's that look very similar if not identical beyond the branding. I'm only really asking out of curiosity I guess.
Kinda blown away at how close it focuses compared to any of my other lenses(MF or Digital AF) so I thought I might have found something special.

Should be fun to play with anyway and a fiver well spent.Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also commonly sold as an Auto Sears.

The Sears ones are made in Korea, so perhaps a Samyang?

https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1328.html

calvin83 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Also commonly sold as an Auto Sears.

The Sears ones are made in Korea, so perhaps a Samyang?

https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1328.html

calvin83 wrote:

Very likely. They look nearly identical.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look to be the same although this one doesn't seem to have the multi-coating, at least it's not marked as such and doesn't have the coloured sheen any of my other MC lenses have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
They do look to be the same although this one doesn't seem to have the multi-coating, at least it's not marked as such and doesn't have the coloured sheen any of my other MC lenses have.

In late 1970s, multi-coating became more common camera lenses. It is common to see some lenses available in both single-cocated and multi-coated version.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an interesting find.
It's not unknown for some "oriental" manufacturers to apparently just "borrow" a well-known European brand-name and use it to effectively enhance their own product.
Alternatively, maybe Pentacon were having supply difficulties and bought in some lenses to fill the gap ... we'll probably never know for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Hanimex was importing East German Prakticas to Australia in the 70's and often paired them with Asian lenses to supplement the Meyer/Pentacon 50 1.8 Orikkor with which they were typically outfitted rather than importing German lenses. Those typically are labeled "Hanimex," but this could be a similar situation where a non-German importer was looking for cheaper/more readily available lenses to pair with Praktica bodies and secured permission to re-label third party lenses with the Praktica brand.

kypfer wrote:
Looks like an interesting find.
It's not unknown for some "oriental" manufacturers to apparently just "borrow" a well-known European brand-name and use it to effectively enhance their own product.
Alternatively, maybe Pentacon were having supply difficulties and bought in some lenses to fill the gap ... we'll probably never know for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same lens branded as Ensinor, Tefnon and Clubman. As far as I can tell Tefnon was the house brand of Kobori who made the lens and sold it rebranded to any retailer who wanted their own shop brand (just like the Prinzflex which was a brand used by Dixons in the UK.)
I've also seen that 28 / 2.8 Macro branded as Ozunon, Ozone.
But there is a school of thought it might be made by Toyo Optics or maybe Cimko ? - but every Cimko I've seen, even rebranded lenses, has Cimko's distinctive unequal diamond for the focusing mark. So I don't think Cimko is a contender as manufacturer.

Have a search on this forum for Tefnon - Ensinor and I think there are a few posts about this lens ( and it's 24 / 2.8 brother ) There are many brands on that series of lenses, and I don't think weve arrived at a definitive maker yet.

It's not a bad lens though, I used mine a lot before I got the classic Vivitar 28 / 2.8, and then lenses from the major manufacturers like Minolta, Pentax and Olympus which are obviously better, but that doesn't the Prakticar a bad lens, it's just not quite as good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the responses!
I suspected it might be difficult to get any concrete info on the lens but never realised how many lenses there were that shared the same design between different manufacturers. Either way I think I got a deal and its a good copy, at least from my perspective and intended uses.

Been playing with it this morning just to see how it performs with a table-top studio. Closest it will focus is a hair under 10cm from the front element and it's pretty darn sharp too. Quite enjoy my macro and despite not going to 1:1 this lens will fill a gap in my lens collection for when I want something tiny in the foreground but still incorporate the wider environment.

Not proper testing but this shot was fully stopped down on my Canon FF DSLR iso400

And cropped at 100%

I also picked up a few others all mint. A Pentacon 50 1.8, an Enna Munchen 135/3.5, a Hoya 135/2.8 and Meyer-Optik Gorilitz Lydith 30/3.5 at the same time, all-in for £20 so not a bad visit to the charity shop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
I also picked up a few others all mint. A Pentacon 50 1.8, an Enna Munchen 135/3.5, a Hoya 135/2.8 and Meyer-Optik Gorilitz Lydith 30/3.5 at the same time, all-in for £20 so not a bad visit to the charity shop.

Worth it for the Lydith alone ... enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:

Yeah that one looks like pretty decent glass, had to adapt it with a couple mm thick o-ring between the lens and adapter to stop the back element fouling the mirror but still seems to focus to infinity without any issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Never had Hoya but others are well worth of £20, each Very Happy Lydith is my first lens, entry drug, Pentacon (Oreston) is a cheap gem of a lens, yeah i'll dare to compare it to Helios-44-whatever, and Enna is love/hate for many (i love it, have 3 copies)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:

Never had Hoya but others are well worth of £20, each Very Happy Lydith is my first lens, entry drug, Pentacon (Oreston) is a cheap gem of a lens, yeah i'll dare to compare it to Helios-44-whatever, and Enna is love/hate for many (i love it, have 3 copies)

The Hoya is not that bad, the build quality seems pretty solid with smooth play free focusing and a soft subtle click on the aperture ring. Wide open its soft and low contrast but stopped down a bit and it give some decent images.

I hadn't really given the Pentacon much of a look until your response and not realised it can do bubble bokeh which is something I have always wanted to experiment with. Not quite sure what circumstances are needed for that effect but definitely gonna have a play to see.

The Enna is an odd one and I've not seen a lot of info on my version which looks to be completely made of plastic and glass which I thought odd for its age. It was more of an impulse buy and I thought it could fill a gap when I wanted something light to take out. Not played with it yet so I can't comment on its IQ but I won't dismiss it as junk until I put it through its paces.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
The Enna is an odd one and I've not seen a lot of info on my version which looks to be completely made of plastic and glass which I thought odd for its age. It was more of an impulse buy and I thought it could fill a gap when I wanted something light to take out. Not played with it yet so I can't comment on its IQ but I won't dismiss it as junk until I put it through its paces.

I've got a couple of the apparently "plastic" Ennas ... it's just a plastic "shell" with a completely metal mechanism inside.
Unfortunately the aperture mechanism is prone to self-disassembly Sad
The optics are good, though Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

I've got a couple of the apparently "plastic" Ennas ... it's just a plastic "shell" with a completely metal mechanism inside.

I am pretty sure Enna made quality plastic lenses and they are still making plastics today! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Praktica was also sold as Polar https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/909-polar-automatic-28mm-f-2-8-22-v2

Whenever I see a squared of plastic A/M switch like that I say the lens is likely made by Sun Optics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see "Made in Korea" under 0.35 meter.
https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/856-praktica-28mm-f-2-8-22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

+1 Samyang no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Pancolart wrote:
+1 Samyang no doubt about it.

D1N0 wrote:
The Praktica was also sold as Polar https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/909-polar-automatic-28mm-f-2-8-22-v2

Whenever I see a squared of plastic A/M switch like that I say the lens is likely made by Sun Optics.

Black on black and it is so faint I could barely see "Made In Korea" on my lens but, yep that is definitely the one! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:

Does yours also have a plastic m42 mount? Shell or not it seems pretty good after a couple test shots as far as IQ goes, the aperture looks very clean and operates nice and smooth. Focus is a bit stiff though.
I think mine is this one.
https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1106-enna-munchen-tele-ennalyt-135mm-f3-5-22-t2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
kypfer wrote:

Does yours also have a plastic m42 mount? Shell or not it seems pretty good after a couple test shots as far as IQ goes, the aperture looks very clean and operates nice and smooth. Focus is a bit stiff though.
I think mine is this one.
https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1106-enna-munchen-tele-ennalyt-135mm-f3-5-22-t2

Sorry, I must have slightly mis-read your original post, I was referring to a 35mm not a 135mm ... oops!
Nevertheless, I do have a similar Enna 135mm, but with a fixed-mount auto-aperture in M42, albeit badged "Zodel", from Wallace Heaton in London, they imported and rebadged quite a lot of stuff in the '60's.

FWIW, it does have a metal mount.