Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Accura 35mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Accura 35mm f1.8 Reply with quote

This is likely common knowledge, but until recently, I was not aware that the Spiratone Plura-Coat by MITAKE 35mm f1.8 lens was also distributed under the Accura label but without the 'Plura-coat by MITAKE' wording. I own a couple of Accura 35mm f2.8 lenses - but was not aware of the f1.8. I don't see the same coloration of the lens on the Accura as is apparent on the Spiratone making me wonder if the Accura did not have the same lens coating. Any ideas?

Minolta mount

M42 mount

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Accura 35mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Interesting. Most (all?) of the Accuras with which I am familiar were Sigmas. I have the Spiratone version, but it's really beaten up with a lot of coating loss, so I don't have a great baseline for comparison. AFAIK, Spira was strictly a rebrander and did no manufacturing of their own, so kind of surprising that other rebrands would have different coatings than their own.

MikeM wrote:
This is likely common knowledge, but until recently, I was not aware that the Spiratone Plura-Coat by MITAKE 35mm f1.8 lens was also distributed under the Accura label but without the 'Plura-coat by MITAKE' wording. I own a couple of Accura 35mm f2.8 lenses - but was not aware of the f1.8. I don't see the same coloration of the lens on the Accura as is apparent on the Spiratone making me wonder if the Accura did not have the same lens coating. Any ideas?

Minolta mount

M42 mount

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy badged as Porst, from memory it's one of Mitakes' better lenses of the ones I've tested, and actually very competent when compared against the large number of other lenses in that focal length I have used however briefly.

Accura and Spiratone brand names were both owned by the same entity. I would say at a glance, that the two lenses you have were from different versions/manufacturing years of the same optical arrangement, as evidenced by the metal and rubber focus grips used on them. The rubber grip is more likely manufactured after the metal version, and possibly the coatings used may have changed in that period too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone aware of an online review of any of these 1.8 variants? Looks very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Accura 35mm f1.8 Reply with quote

MikeM wrote:
I don't see the same coloration of the lens on the Accura as is apparent on the Spiratone making me wonder if the Accura did not have the same lens coating. Any ideas?
Thanks

Mike

I have seen similar differences on my very first Minolta AF 4/70-210mm, back in 1987. First the coatings were looking like the left lens, but after prolonged use (and cleaning) the color changed to the brownish tint seen on the right lens. Might be a similar effect.

Alternatively it certainily is possible that Accura ordered their batch of lenses with single coating instead of multi coating ("plura coat"), to reduce costs.

Minota has done that with their early "Celtic" budget lenses for the US market. They usually (but not always) had the same optical construction as the "Rokkor" lenses, but were single coated.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Accura 35mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I have seen a few Porst lenses in the past, but never a 35mm f1.8 ---- so new to me. Thanks!

I also have a Spiratone Plura-Coat 35mm f1.8 with M42 mount, some minor coating damage - I assume, as mentioned by BrianSVP, Alun and Steve that damage to the coating is common and the coating potentially could change coloration over time (unless different / single coating).

[/url]
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20237/big_12426_Spiratone_M42_3_1.png]

Again, these lenses are decades old so in some cases have had several owners. The Minolta version I recently purchased came with the box and a brochure, and the coating looks fairly intact.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the Accura lens a bit more, I found that the outside rim of the front most portion of the barrel (into which a filter would screw) has additional Text as shown in the following photo.

Further, after thinking about the comment by stevemark regarding the brownish tint of the lens coating - i found a reference on another forum indicating that a brownish lens tint can be caused by balsam separation. When I attach the lens to my Sony A7III and view through the lens at normal and magnification levels, I don't see any distortion that is suggested would appear if there was balsam separation.

The above image was taken at an open window - I was trying to show that the lens appears to be clear when fully open to 1.8 Does anyone see something I don't which could suggest balsam separation?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens is clear without haze.