Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Snapshot-Skopar 25mm/F4 in M39/LTM on APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Voigtlander Snapshot-Skopar 25mm/F4 in M39/LTM on APS-C Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

As it seems that not everybody is amused when I report here about the performance of cheap old crap lenses which are obviously not adaptable for some of the readers, I've taken another lens for my today's dog walk.

The CV 25mm "Snapshot-Skopar" is (as the name already implies) a nice lens for snapshot photography. It's not RF coupled as it supports "zone settings" for the distance. That's without any effect on digital anyway. As a logical consequence it's nothing for bokeh lovers, but more for people who like to make some sharp pictures across the whole frame. Especially on my Ricoh APS-C camera this is easily achievable as shown hereafter. The most obvious strength of the lens is it's size and weight. It' really tiny compared to most of the other lenses, especially the SLR ones. The angle of view on APS-C equals to 37.5mm on FF.

The lens:

The pictures shot today (NO PP, just converted and downsized), clickable for larger view:

For pixel peepers 100% crops of the first test shot above:

Center:

Corner:

The lens performs as designed on most digital cameras which are able to accept LTM RF lenses, though there maybe some incompatibility issues with the Sony A7 series. On my mirrorless cameras (MFT/NEX) there are no issues at all and especially on my Ricoh GXR-M which was developed for the use with RF lenses it works perfectly.

So for me it's a trouble-free lens and it delivers very sharp pictures as designed. Therefore a clear winner in every respect.

Hope you enjoyed it.

As usual, comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great little lens, have been enjoying it very much on the Ricoh GXR M too, had showed photos taken with this combination before. Checking out that thread I noticed that the photos had disappeared, just replaced them right now and added two samples taken with Sony NEX5n, works well too:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1351604.html#1351604
cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite lenses. I always put it on my u4/3 whenever I am lazy and want to carry something small. I especially like the clicks at the "snapshot" distances. The only drawback is its prone to flare which actually is quite manageable.

However, I looked at your nice photos and told myself that my lens is much sharper than these. Not until I reviewed your full size photos that I realized the problem was the board downsizing algorithm. This is quite unfortunate since not everyone click to look at the full size photos.

BTW, I like UV Topcor too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

@Andreas

Thanks for adding your link. Your pictures are definitely more spectacular than mine. Wink
However, I just do some boring test shots during my daily dog walk as already explained before.

@Tao

Also thanks for the clarification. Wink

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thank you!
@Andreas
Thanks for adding your link. Your pictures are definitely more spectacular than mine. Wink
However, I just do some boring test shots during my daily dog walk as already explained before.

most welcome Thomas. After adding the two pics taken with the NEX5n I can see again why I always have preferred the rendering of the Ricoh, I am not talking corners, they are not negatively effected in any much distracting way

curious how the Snapshot Skopar works on the Sony A7 FF camera I just went in front of the door and took a few boring test shots Smile Since both your and my thread say that pics in the thread are taken on APS-C sensor I only link them. all without PPing / any corner treatment. the flower pic wide open using a helicoid adapter for close focusing, the first pic of the wooden container stations with the kid on the bike also wide open, the other two stopped down to the half stop in between f5.6 and f8, and a pic with the lens on the A7
http://s39.photobucket.com/user/kuuan/library/Snapshot%20Skopar%20f4%2025mm%20on%20Sony%20A7%20test%20shots?sort=3&page=1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Andreas

Thanks. Other A7 users may appreciate that.
At least in the presented size I do not realize any shortcomings on the A7. How about the 100% view? Any corner smearing? Just say yes or no. I trust you. Wink

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
@Andreas

Thanks. Other A7 users may appreciate that.
At least in the presented size I do not realize any shortcomings on the A7. How about the 100% view? Any corner smearing? Just say yes or no. I trust you. Wink

Cheers,

Thomas there definitely is corner smearing! You can see for yourself, after clicking on a certain image there is a '+' symbol at the top right corner, clicking on that one can see a big, I believe the original 100% view that I had uploaded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one really jumps out:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/10250524464/in/album-72157633352494287/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Obviously overseen. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:

Like 1 small

Great camera. Laugh 1

Of course a great photographer too....

Well, in my part of Austria there are less "mountains" (In Austria we consider mountains as something different. On the picture are only hills.), but more wine. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:

thank you. This pic has been liked, had made it into flickr explore. I just checked, of my pics it ranks 79th in 'interestingness', 14th in no. of views and 12th in favs Smile
as Thomas knows this is the 'Alpenvorland', the foot hills of the alps, unlike at Thomas' place no vineyards around but pastures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find the Voigtlander 25mm compares against the Canon 25mm?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas - I had one of these back when I first got my M8. I sold it, but only because not being rangefinder coupled it showed the viewfinder frame as though set at minimum focus distance. I keep fancying the newer model with rangefinder coupling - on the M8 it gives a bit more coverage than APS-C. Here are a couple of "snaps" taken in Vienna in 2009 with the M8: (click on pics for better image)

This one at f8 (probably)

This one at f4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:

not sure whom you are asking, I do not own the Canon LTM 25mm and can't say
generally I dare say that the CVs, being more modern lenses, have stronger contrast and flare resistance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
meanwhile wrote:

generally I dare say that the CVs, being more modern lenses, have stronger contrast and flare resistance

I don't know how the Canon lens performs. But my wild guess would be the same. Generally the rather new Voigtländer lenses in LTM are rather excellent performers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thomas - I had one of these back when I first got my M8. I sold it, but only because not being rangefinder coupled it showed the viewfinder frame as though set at minimum focus distance. I keep fancying the newer model with rangefinder coupling - on the M8 it gives a bit more coverage than APS-C. Here are a couple of "snaps" taken in Vienna in 2009 with the M8.

Stephen, thanks for sharing. Pictures look very good to me. Excellent shots. The M8 seems to be quite capable as well. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kuuan wrote:
meanwhile wrote:

I don't know how the Canon lens performs. But my wild guess would be the same. Generally the rather new Voigtländer lenses in LTM are rather excellent performers.

just found this thread with various people comparing the two: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109389
in short both very good, the CV sharp and contrasty, more clinical, the Canon more 'organic'/vintage look

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another infinity test shot from today's evening showing St. Margarethen/Burgenland from the top of the ancient Roman sandstone quarry.
Clickable for larger view.

And "The Chair" (shopping area of Eisenstadt) from earlier today:

Actually I like this lens very much.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello hello after one time passed, the A7 Pics are gone unfortunately, is there color cast in the corners? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xingkuni123 wrote:
Hello hello after one time passed, the A7 Pics are gone unfortunately, is there color cast in the corners? Thanks

Welcome xingkuni123!

kuuan may be able to answer better...

I don't know about SNAPSHOT-SKOPAR on A7. There is a thread here for COLOR-SKOPAR: I don't know if lenses are similar.

Voigtlander 25mm F4 Color Skopar Leica M + Sony a7s
https://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-25mm-f4-color-skopar-leica-m-and-sony-a7s-t83831.html