Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought 2 Tamron Adaptall-2 mounts "which don't ex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Just bought 2 Tamron Adaptall-2 mounts "which don't ex Reply with quote

Hi, have not been here in a very long time. Life happens. The short story is, along with a few Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2 as well as Adapt0-a-matic lenses I own, I had, a few years ago bought a Tamron 300mm F2.8. For some reason the thing simply WILL NOT focus correctly, and I was never able to resolve it. Another of these popped up locally on C/L for 300. Very nice shape, with the case, the 1.4X converter, and came with a Nikon mount

I actually have several ways of mounting these Tamrons to my Canon EF stuff, including Nikon / M42/ Olympus Tamron mounts via those to EF adapters, AND I have three China/ import direct Adaptall -to- EF adaptors, but all three are somewhat loose and sloppy.

Anyhow I ran into TWO of what I've been told here and there simply do not exist----Genuine Tamron manufactured, Adaptall-2 to Canon EF mounts. All the way from Germany to the N end of Idaho state. I paid plenty, but on the other hand I just spent 2300 US for a brand new 5D Mk IV before Christmas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

I have a spare Tamron EOS-M adaptall sitting around for few years. I planned to use it with the 180/2.5 but never get the chance to find one copy within my budget.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like genuine Tamron-manufactured mounts, so obviously they do exist!

I have that same SP 300/2.8 (60B) lens, and it is quite a good performer for its age.
The green paint on mine was in terrible condition though (hence I got it cheap). I stripped all the green paint off so now mine is anodised black all-over with "custom" orange feet scale markings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure why anyone would say they don’t exist, I’ve had a few over the years sneak seen plenty more. They are definitely more durable than the generics I have tried.

Asking prices can be high but I’d not pay much for one as you can often pick them up cheaply because sellers simply don’t know they have a relatively valuable adapter. In recent years same applies to the original Canon-made FD to EF macro adapter, sadly no one seems to make that mistake with the optical one…

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that tamron started manufacturing these but then canon took legal action - patent breach or something. They basically didn't want tamron adaptalls competing with the canon lens line up I guess. So tamron had to stop making them but they do kick around on the s/h market. I've had a couple pass through my hands, sold on for a useful contribution to the kitty. The best trick to acquire one cheap is to spot one on a common lens like the 80-210's. I sold the ones I had for around £25-30 IIRC, which I would suggest is par. I certainly would suggest avoiding overpriced BIN's.
The situation with the similar minolta A (= sony A) mounts is the same I believe.
What's the issue with focussing your 300mm f2.8?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies. I don't know what the trouble is. (with the first Tamron 300/2.Cool I can get an "apparent" sharp focus, using such as the live view screen, and I first started back with a 40D, then later a 7D, and it looks fine. but the result is blurry. I've taken lots of manual focus photos with various lenses, so I know my way around. There is no evident dust, junk, or fungus, etc, and nothing loose or rattle. I simply don't know.

I'm 74 now and don't do nearly so much. I won't be trying to get any moving shots with a big manual lens

On a side note I ALSO just recently bought another huge, heavy manual, a Tokina AT-X SD, 150-500mm, F5.6, for Contax. I already had a Yashica / Contac adaptor for EF, and it fits nice and tight. "The internet" seems to think pretty well of these, and boy is it a big heavy slug!!! Nice shape.

The only one I have that is larger and heavier, is the big ol Tamron Adaptall SP 200-500mm F5.6. That thing is TRULY a club of club LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
Thanks for replies. I don't know what the trouble is. (with the first Tamron 300/2.Cool I can get an "apparent" sharp focus, using such as the live view screen, and I first started back with a 40D, then later a 7D, and it looks fine. but the result is blurry. I've taken lots of manual focus photos with various lenses, so I know my way around. There is no evident dust, junk, or fungus, etc, and nothing loose or rattle. I simply don't know.

I'm 74 now and don't do nearly so much. I won't be trying to get any moving shots with a big manual lens

On a side note I ALSO just recently bought another huge, heavy manual, a Tokina AT-X SD, 150-500mm, F5.6, for Contax. I already had a Yashica / Contac adaptor for EF, and it fits nice and tight. "The internet" seems to think pretty well of these, and boy is it a big heavy slug!!! Nice shape.

The only one I have that is larger and heavier, is the big ol Tamron Adaptall SP 200-500mm F5.6. That thing is TRULY a club of club LOL

It is possible that at some point the rear doublet was removed for cleaning and accidentally re-inserted reversed; judging from the lens diagram in the link below that doublet looks near symmetrical externally so an easy mistake to make.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/60B.html

But there are other possibilities...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can get an "apparent" sharp focus, using such as the live view screen, and I first started back with a 40D, then later a 7D, and it looks fine. but the result is blurry.

Perhaps you could post some example pics/crops. Lets see if we can come up with something...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many of these over the years but I sold them. They brought quite a bit of money on eBay.

They definitely exist. Laugh 1