Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 28-105 vs the various 30-80ish stuff?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Kiron 28-105 vs the various 30-80ish stuff? Reply with quote

Hi there!
So, I have a really sweet 28-105 Kiron that I use as my daily beater.... And I was wondering if I was missing anything optically by not having the 28-85 or 30-80 from the same brand.

Is any one of them optically superior? Because they are about the same weight, which is heavy as is, so it's not like I am getting a more compact package with the 28-85, unless again, it's superior optically?

Anyway, what is your take on this Smile
Help me save/spend money

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both the 28-105 and 35-85 by Kiron Kino in the past - and they are both capable lenses.
I didn't notice enough difference optically between the two to say that one was markedly better than the other.
A little later I was gifted a Vivitar 28-90 by Komine, which was in the same ballpark of focal lengths.
In my experience, it was superior to the Kiron lenses and so I sold them.
However, unless you are shooting film, I think that almost any digital kit lens will outperform all of them.
I have kept my Vivitar 28-90 and still use it when I take my D700 and F4 out together.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much!
What about the Pentax A - 35-70 F4 constant, is it up there with the Kirons and Tokinas?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote23 wrote:
Thanks much!
What about the Pentax A - 35-70 F4 constant, is it up there with the Kirons and Tokinas?

From the Pentax Line, the SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm F2.8-3.5 and the SMC Pentax (K) 45-125mm F4 would be my choice.
These are very good lenses
I have not used the the Pentax A - 35-70 F4 so cannot comment.
More informed Pentax reviews are here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Tom