Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First images Soligor 105mm f/2.8 (Sun Optics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: First images Soligor 105mm f/2.8 (Sun Optics) Reply with quote

I'm quite pleased with this lens. It's build like a tank, and very tiny.
All images wide open:

Soligor10528_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
Soligor10528_5crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

In this image, there's softness at 100%. Maybe because the subject is very close.

Next image:
Soligor10528_4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
Soligor10528_4crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

There seems to be much less softness in this image. Probably because of the larger distance to the subject. It could also be, that the reflective nature of the tree bark causes softness.

Another 100% crop of an image @ f/2.8:
Soligor10528_8CROP by devoscasper, on Flickr
Plenty of detail.

Then, an image of a larger distance subject @ f/2.8:
Soligor10528_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr

If you click and watch the image at full size, you can see color fringing around out of focus objects such as the windows.

100% crop:
Soligor10528_7crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

Very sharp results.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks surprisingly good for a thirdparty lens from the 1970s. How does it fare near the borders or in the corners ? My Auto Vivitar Telephoto 105 mm f/2.8 (37xxxxx so supplied by Tokina) from the same period needs to be closed to f/5.6 for corner sharpness while it is perfectly OK in the center when wide-open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
This looks surprisingly good for a thirdparty lens from the 1970s. How does it fare near the borders or in the corners ? My Auto Vivitar Telephoto 105 mm f/2.8 (37xxxxx so supplied by Tokina) from the same period needs to be closed to f/5.6 for corner sharpness while it is perfectly OK in the center when wide-open.

I still have to test that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First images Soligor 105mm f/2.8 (Sun Optics) Reply with quote

Nice shots!

I have that lens too and was also surprised that it was so good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oke, now infinity test. 100% crops. First the center:

CenterCropsSoligor10528 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Obvious softness / glow wide open.

Then the extreme corners:

CornerCrops by devoscasper, on Flickr

Unfortunately the extreme right corners are much better than the extreme left corners, so something seems not properly aligned. It could also be the cheap Chinese T2 adapter. Maybe I should consider buyer another adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Which version of that lens is it? Could you post a picture pls? I have a Cunor which looks very much like Tokina made.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi. Which version of that lens is it? Could you post a picture pls? I have a Cunor which looks very much like Tokina made.

Mine is the Sun version : https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2674.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is an early pre set version that is probably a Kawanon made lens with the H5 serial number. The style of the lens is a very common one with the O<- ->C pre set ring. I have / had a few lenses with this design.
It's a decent lens, I've had it a long time and use it quite a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impression of my Sun lens up till now: compact size, very good build quality, pleasant rendering, good bokeh both open and stopped down. Wide open softer than Topcor /Nikkor and Minolta equivalents, but probably perfect for portraits. Gets very sharp once stopped down a little. Quite an old lens so doesn't like direct light sources, at least not wide open. Corner performance yet to be determined, hopefully a proper adapter will help with that.

By the way if I learned one thing it’s not to rely on cheap adapters. First one I ordered didn’t even fit my camera, it was thát bad. Inconsistent corners with the second adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the Sun version : https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2674.html[/quote]

👍👍👍

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Mine is the Sun version : https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2674.html

Mine appears to be made by Tokina (serial number 174xxxxx) and is in T4 mount.
I've not made any detailed tests with it, but the overall performance seems to be very satisfactory Smile
With slight adaption I've fitted it with a Vivitar TX mount in PK fit so can use it directly on my Pentax DSLRs Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could this lens be a sonnar opti formula ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This line of lenses marketed by Soligor (and produced by different makers) seems to have a sibling in Vivitar disguise.

I previously tested its later Tokina-made variety and remained well satisfied with the results. Yours, from the earlier iteration, look very convincing, including colour procession and bokeh.