Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 210mm f4 C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Mamiya 210mm f4 C Reply with quote

Tried out this lens to see how it compares with the faster 150. Certainly a good lens, but not quite as nice as the 150, though it does have a 9 blade diaphragm which is it's best feature. Purple fringing and longitudinal CA is more evident vs the 150. Really want to get hold of the 200/2.8 APO now as I reckon it must be special considering how the 150 and this 210 perform.

With the No.3s extension tube fitted.

f8
Cricket by Kyle, on Flickr

f5.6
Bee by Kyle, on Flickr

f5.6
Bee by Kyle, on Flickr

wide open
Honeysuckle by Kyle, on Flickr

wide open
Fuschia by Kyle, on Flickr

Without the extension tube. Wide open
Gull by Kyle, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice. Just love that bee photo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Mamiya 210mm F4 C!

For sure it is a nice lens and the rendering is perfect, at least for me but this is subjective...

Strange but I did not see any CA on my pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only CA I see is bokeh fringing where there is slight green fringes behind focus and purple in front of. Wide open on high contrast edges only there is a slight purple glow. Have you got the chrome ringed original version with diamond patterned focus ring or a later N version with the grooved focus ring? I think mine is a really old version as the built in hood looks different to most others being made of plastic and having a ridge at the front. Not sure if they made any changes to the design but the coatings are certainly different.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original one, not the N version and it is in like new condition...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some first pictures with my Mamiya, I have the C version. Click for full size.

MamiyaC2104J_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Like the bokeh a lot. One of the advantages of using a medium format lens on FF, is that the bokeh balls are still round at the edges of the frame. This results in a very uniform bokeh throughout the frame.

MamiyaC2104J_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Click to fully appreciate the details:

MamiyaC2104J by devoscasper, on Flickr

Another winner lens from Mamiya that I bought for near nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a picture I took inside the house:

Mamiya2104J by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop of the above:
Mamiya2104Jcrop by devoscasper, on Flickr

I'm happy Happy Dog

Click for full size; focus is on right corner tree branch.
Mamiya2104J by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little corner test. First the complete image:
Mamiya2104Jgevel@f4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then, 100% far corner crops @ f/4 and f/8:
Mamiya210f4cornercomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

In terms of resolution and contrast, the lens performs almost perfect already @ f/4 on FF (Sony A7RII). There's CA visible in high contrast areas.
@ f/8 there's some improvement in the overall image; CA's pretty much non existent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test close focus ability, I added a Meike 16mm and a 10mm macro ring. Please click to watch full size. Aperture = f/11.

bloeminglas by devoscasper, on Flickr

This is probably the best image image quality I've ever got out of a vintage 200mm-ish lens. I paid 22 euro for this lens (auction), but usually they go for just under 100 €, which is still a steal for the quality you get.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Rokkor 200mm F4 Md on Nikkor ais?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Have you tried Rokkor 200mm F4 Md on Nikkor ais?

Had them both and like them, but the Mamiya seems the best of the bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whoever is intereste, I found a test Stephan did a while back: http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-c-4-210mm-apochromatic-correction-t79164.html

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it out today. Had forgotten how sharp it was:
Duckeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Took it out today. Had forgotten how sharp it was:
Duckeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Nice one! The only 'difficulty' of the lens is focusing it accurately. I'm actually thinking of adapting this lens to my Techart adapter through an LM-AI and AI-M645 adapter. Should be possible as long as you support the lens while focusing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally ordered an EOS to LM adapter and a M645 to EOS adapter.
As long as you support the lens while focusing, it should be possible to use this combination on the Techart AF adapter to focus M645 lenses.

200mm+ lenses can be a bit difficult to hand focus IMO, AF can be very helpful in that case. It could also be very helpful with my Mamiya C 300mm f/5.6, expecially because of its relatively slow aperture. I will post some results once I receive the adapters.