Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon 50mm which one to keep?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Yashinon 50mm which one to keep? Reply with quote

I have a dx in perfect condition i bought for 25 euros and a ds i bought forbthe same amount.

The ds has traces of cleaned fungus. It is sharp but lacks contrast.

DX looks a bit used on the outside but lenses are clean and it shots nice photos too.
Ds is sharper at infinity dx much more contrast nicer color rendering.

My current plan is to sell the ds. Reason: i want to buy a wideangle (ml line) and dont increase my number of lenses.
However im not 100% sure if ill miss the sharpness near infinity of the ds lens in future.
Do you thing the ds would be still on the market to buy if i change my opinion later? It is the standard lens bundled with the tl super.

And which adapter is good for the dx on canon ef-s? Need one with better ininity setting. Get the feeling another adapter may produce vetter results.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need the money? Otherwise I would keep them both.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your camera, which I think is APS-c, the 50mm is a good portrait length lens.
I have a Yashinon- DX and have found it to be very good in this mode and for closer objects and scenes.
I don't think I have ever used it for infinity focus.
I don't have a DS lens so cannot comment on it, but the -DX is quite splendid for my use
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the DX doesn't reach infinity or overshoots it. These lenses should be quite similar optically, so any differences are likely due to copy variation or maybe one has improved coatings over the other. If you digitally zoom in in live view you could check if the DX overshoots infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@caspert79
Its just that i don't want to thave two 50mm. But at the same time it hurts a bit to sell it, even if the lens is very used.

@Oldhand i have used the DX for buoldings too and it seemed to be ok. Just really far away pbjects are not as sharp as the ds.

@D1N0 this would mean to ise an extra adapter for the dx. Yes after thinning it a bit results in 135mm and 50mm dx where sigmificantly better. Coatings are not exactly the samre. Post pictures if the two lenses itself later..

Ds

DX

Coatings look similar. Im keeping th dx for sure Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pretty easy to clean the fungus. If you can screw out the inner ring with a rubber block the front element should come out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedxca93, I admire your Spartan spirit! I am having difficulty to part with any of the many lenses aquired out of pure curiosity, while you are ready to sell one of the two lenses you like.

Back to your question, I agree with those fellows who suggest you to check the adapter. My copy of Yashinon-DX 1.7/50 is pretty painfully sharp at distances close to infinity.