Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Interesting / unusual lens ads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Interesting / unusual lens ads Reply with quote

Thought this might be an interesting topic. Many times I come across stuff I have no interest/capability in buying, but would be worth discussing.

As we're discussing sales posts, I do expect people to not want to share deals they want for themselves. I am hoping however we are mature enough to put this to one side.

I am also hoping we can self-regulate what counts here, even if we all have a different understanding of interesting / unusual.

Rules (as of 30/07/2022):

- No posting your own ads, ads you're in any way affiliated to / have investment in
- Archived listings and photos can only be posted unedited if from a big reseller account, or an account using some sort of professional lighting setup
- Archived listings and photos from small sellers, individuals or amateurs must have backgrounds blurred or removed, identifying usernames removed

Guidelines for this thread (as of 30/07/2022)

- Stay away from rare serial numbers, low serial numbers, common consumer photographic gear, common photographic gear that's merely boxed, lenses merely in good condition that have a reputation for separation, fungus, haze etc, most branded lenses for cinema use
- The above rules apply less the older it is- say, older than 1968
- Job lots with one (or more) interesting item allowed
- Ended items allowed
- As long as you can positively identify it was an ad, and provide some details about the sale, you can post photos from listings you don't have the title/description for. This could also for example be used to post photos you took from a local flea market.
- Use https://archive.today/ to archive pages, copy photo listings to imgur/postimage etc so they don't disappear (PLEASE NOTE RULES FOR POSTING)

Last edited by eggplant on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that being said, I'll start:

HUGE LENSE WITH POSSIBLE MILITARY USE 14 3/4" LONG 1:4.5 F: 60 CM - BEST OFFER

Quote:
TODAY FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IS THIS HUGE LENSE. WE DON'T HOW THIS LENSE WAS USED FOR BUT BASED ON ITS GREEN COLOR IT MIGHT BE USED BY SOME TYPE OF MILITARY SERVICE. LARGE FRONT LENSE IS CLEAN. SMALL LENSE ON THE BACK IS DIRTY AND NEEDS TO BE CLEANED. I TRY TO TAKE A PART BUT I CAN'T AND I DON'T WANT TO USE TO MUCH FORCE. BASED ON MY BEST KNOWLEDGE WAS TAKEN A PART AT SOME POIN IN TIME. WORKS VERY WELL OUTDOOR. IT IS COOL VINTAGE LENSE. WE DO NOT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT SUCH EQUIPMENT. PLEASE USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT BEFORE SENDING US YOUR BEST OFFERS.

IT IS ABOUT 5 1/2" IN DIAMETER AND ABOUT 14 3/4" TALL. VERY HEAVY AND ABOUT 12-15 LBS.

Very curious on this one as it doesn't look like a large format lens stuck in a long tube- there's glass at the camera end.

The font makes me think Carl Zeiss? Or another German brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooke Lens 2/216mm Series O . Taylor Hobson Anastigmat early Super Six

Interesting to see one in such a long focal length in this condition. Series-O started off in the early 1920s. Difficult to get an idea of how big it is from the images...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER RARE FUJI PHOTO OPTICAL CO. EBC FUJINON 200mm F1.8 LENS FROM JAPAN 3671

C-Mount. 8m is the last number on the focusing helicoid. From that we can try and guess the small-sized sensor this might've been designed for- for example, if a 1 inch sensor, it'd be 540mm equivalent. The Canon FD 600mm f/4.5 has minimum focus of 8m. etc etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely unusual lenses. I like the quirky unusual stuff but I won't pay a fortune for a rare unusual lens that won't work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting / unusual lens ads Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
. . .

- Use https://archive.today/ to archive pages, copy photo listings to imgur/postimage etc so they don't disappear (PLEASE GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS)

This is an interesting idea for a topic. But could you please clarify or elaborate about archive.today? Are you requesting we get permission from the owner of content before archiving it - or before sharing the content here?

I save many lens listings for my own use, but I'm reluctant to share them here.
Years ago on mflenses.com, I was informed it wasn't proper to share sales ad images which didn't belong to me. Even if I included a link.

That policy seems to have softened over time, but I still refrain from sharing sales listing images because of uncertainty about what constitutes fair use.

Anyway, I'm not trying to preach, I just like to hear what other members feel about this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting / unusual lens ads Reply with quote

55 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
. . .

- Use https://archive.today/ to archive pages, copy photo listings to imgur/postimage etc so they don't disappear (PLEASE GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS)

This is an interesting idea for a topic. But could you please clarify or elaborate about archive.today? Are you requesting we get permission from the owner of content before archiving it - or before sharing the content here?

Probably. Get permission before saving an archived link. You can archive it for your own personal use of course.

I also save many lens listings and photos for my own use. I am just more concerned on a level that temporary photos are being saved for things meant to be a quick sale.

Here's another idea- if you can crop out or remove background identifying anyone's house, face, personal belongings etc- then I don't see why not. And any usernames.

Also, if it's from a big reseller account or anything with professional lighting, then I certainly don't see why you couldn't archive the page/share archived photos.

Main concern about smaller people is all. I think what I just described would cut out 95% of the issue.

EDIT: I have updated the rules to reflect this.

EDIT #2: I'm also going to make it a requirement that if you're archiving an active listing, including photos, you first ask the person if you can post the background-removed images on this forum (showing them an example)

It takes under a minute to ask! Do it whilst it's still on their mind.