Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you identify this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this lens? Reply with quote

Min aperture 2.8 and M42 mouth and this photo is only known things.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this lens? Reply with quote

mmmCCC wrote:

Probably a 28mm and perhaps 35mm. A cheap third party lens is my guess.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera is a rebranded Praktica.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess made in Japan on the lens. Just based on the design and livery.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Revuenon 28mm F2.8

https://overland25.com/en/en_vintagelens/auto-revuenon-28mm-f28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was also made as Praktica http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/856-praktica-28mm-f-2-8-22 (and Polar)

Just going by the plastic a/m switch I would guess Sun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like a 28 or 35, f2.8 almost makes it a guarantee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more worried about that the focusing scale point of the lens goes that much over center of the mount..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Definitely looks like a 28 or 35, f2.8 almost makes it a guarantee.

DOF hyperfocal markings vis a vis. focus scale pretty much guarantee it is 28mm, not 35mm. Unless they used a very optimistic non-standard COC criterion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I am more worried about that the focusing scale point of the lens goes that much over center of the mount..

The nature of the M42 screw mount system + budget lens engineering. But yes, it seems a bit much...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Not usually an issue … simply means the lens will focus "slightly beyond infinity".
The distance scale on the lens may not be totally accurate, but the viewfinder image will be fine.
Given the wide spacing on the depth-of-field scale, I'd suggest possibly wider than 28mm, the PU marking on the aperture scale probably stands for "Pentax/Praktica Universal".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On closer inspection of the Praktica

It is made in Korea. So possibly Samyang or produced by Samyang for a Japanese distributor seeking to undercut competitor prices. If you search for a 28mm F2.8 macro you can find many similar lenses that will focus up to .2m and have macro magnification marks on the barrel.

Robin Parmar has a 61xx Vivitar in hus bestiary that looks similar (They all seem to have the same style aperture ring).
http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar28detail.html#A22

61xx signifies Samyang as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Given the wide spacing on the depth-of-field scale, I'd suggest possibly wider than 28mm, the PU marking on the aperture scale probably stands for "Pentax/Praktica Universal".

That's what I first thought, but the focus distances themselves are fairly widely spaced.

The near hyperfocal distance is 3m/10ft shown against f/8; that is consistent with the 28mm lenses I have which all use the standard 30 micron COC criterion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also the letters "PU" next to 2.8 on the aperture ring. I'm guessing PU stands for "Pentax Universal" if this is an M42 mount lens.

Anyway, these letters may give a hint toward origin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some eBay sellers in the UK here would try and sell it as a Nikon lens, with that lens-cap. Especially lots from house clearance-auctions frequently get misidentified by non-knowledgeable sellers, simply based on the lens cap that was on the lens Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah or of it has an uv-filter attached they call it a Kenko or Hoya 52mm lens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Yeah or of it has an uv-filter attached they call it a Kenko or Hoya 52mm lens

You can get some good bargains searching for a 'Tiffen' lens. Guaranteed the seller has no clue about it, and if you can identify some treasure it could be yours for a good price. Others won't find it in their searches either. The downside is the amount of trawling through garbage you'll need to do before it pays off...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Some eBay sellers in the UK here would try and sell it as a Nikon lens, with that lens-cap. Especially lots from house clearance-auctions frequently get misidentified by non-knowledgeable sellers, simply based on the lens cap that was on the lens Wink

Once I saw someone sell "Yvighänder" camera.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

I bought an 'Olymus' 50 F/1.4 lens one time for an entire dollar. You'll not find me disparaging the grammatically challenged...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

"Hassleblad" and "KNEB" cameras are pretty common too Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

... add "Mamyia" and "Konika" ... Wink
(the latter maybe only in German speaking coutries?)

S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

S

Yes, and in France you find a lot of "Ninon" (Nikon) cameras and Tonika (Tokina) lenses for sale

Last edited by Alsatian2017 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

S

Yes, and in France you find a lot of "Ninon" (Nikon) cameras and Tonika (Tokina) lenses for sale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you identify this lens? Reply with quote

By the font, the use of PU and lollipop style that is a Korean cheap lens, those were sold under several brands (I think revuenon in this case)
That seems to be a 28/2.8 which were very common and the wuality has hit or miss
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/329-revuenon-auto-revuenon-28mm-f-2-8-22

mmmCCC wrote:

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually aperture soaked in grease from helicoid and elements hazed due vapour. If cleaned a mediocre product as one could expect from 5 elements design.