Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 90mm F 2/5 (Model #52BB) Adaptall 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 90mm F 2/5 (Model #52BB) Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

Sharing some images taken today-a snowy day, when there was a temporary lull.

Specs in Japanese

Lens with it's complimenting Macro Extender and hood.

Images taken mostly @f2.5 without the Macro Extender.

Best regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very nice images,it looks like a solid lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this set too.
Very good for macro use and have a good distance with the TC2x.

Somewhat heavy and therefore prefer Tamron 90/2.8 AF for all purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful series!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bit too soft, for my taste, but in rest, color rendition and bokeh - VERY NICE!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
a little bit too soft,

i guess the photographs of Kathmandu are just this way
this macro lens is really sharp (as any macro lens)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments. Very Happy Very Happy

Yes the lens is a little on the heavy side, heavy enough to be an asset rather than a burden. It rightfully has reputation on being a sharp Macro lens.

I love the smooth manual control on this lens with a nice assuring rubber grip. Definate pluses.

obligatory crop

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tamron 52B. I took many good shots with it - it was my favorite adaptall lens. Very well built and very reliable.

Here's one of my last shots from it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6338774433

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
I had a Tamron 52B. I took many good shots with it - it was my favorite adaptall lens. Very well built and very reliable.

I can fully see why Very Happy , and I haven't used it a lot yet-I did take it out today again before the weather worsens. We haven't had any sun for a while and they're forcasting winter storms.

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice closeup Nelson Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 90/2.5 + SP 18 Extube Reply with quote

also had this beauty deep color using with EP-L1 and Tamron SP 18 extention

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats beautiful. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy this lens also, i was using the Nikkor 55 2.8 till now, but longer FL helps outside a lot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a great lens. Very good sharpness at all distances including infinity. It's a macro and a portrait lens and it will do landscape

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the first lens I bought when I bought my first SLR. About 10 years ago I replaced it (but kept it) by a Kiron 105mm which was sharper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I own a Vivitar 105/2.8, made by Kiron. It definitely is not as sharp as my first-generation Tamron 90. Maybe you got a really good one. Congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Huh. I own a Vivitar 105/2.8, made by Kiron. It definitely is not as sharp as my first-generation Tamron 90. Maybe you got a really good one. Congrats.

That was my experience as well (in the middle of the 1990s) and several tests of French magazines published during the 1980s agree that the Kiron was not as good as the Tamron (lack of contrast), mainly wide open and stopped down one or two stops...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

That was my experience as well (in the middle of the 1990s) and several tests of French magazines published during the 1980s agree that the Kiron was not as good as the Tamron (lack of contrast), mainly wide open and stopped down one or two stops...

Not every one, it seems, would agree.

http://www.mflenses.com/kiron-105mm-macro-lens-review.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-3-kiron-105mm-2-8-macro-t28035,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

My use was/is as macro only.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This FL is new to me , I've had a faulty Lester that I've returned (wobbling ring), and if I'm right, it was doing 1:1 ,but much bigger than actual Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Tamron SP52BB fully deserves its legendary status, the only fault it seems to have is the 'blue spot' caused by reflections from the flat rear element onto the sensor when the sun or a very bright light is in the shot I don't know if the same thing happens with film? But it's a minor thing, take one step sideways and it's gone. Not always possible I know, and sometimes we want the sun in our picture. If that's the case - embrace the blue spot.

Other than that, it's a superb and very versatile lens. Mated with the O1F Teleconverter or the 18F extension tubes the macro performance is excellent. And as a walkabout lens I love it. But I do have a liking for lenses around 100mm, which is probably why I've got three 52BB's at the moment, I kept buying them until I got a mint, boxed and complete one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think the Tamron SP52BB fully deserves its legendary status, the only fault it seems to have is the 'blue spot' caused by reflections from the flat rear element onto the sensor when the sun or a very bright light is in the shot I don't know if the same thing happens with film? But it's a minor thing, take one step sideways and it's gone. Not always possible I know, and sometimes we want the sun in our picture. If that's the case - embrace the blue spot.

Other than that, it's a superb and very versatile lens. Mated with the O1F Teleconverter or the 18F extension tubes the macro performance is excellent. And as a walkabout lens I love it. But I do have a liking for lenses around 100mm, which is probably why I've got three 52BB's at the moment, I kept buying them until I got a mint, boxed and complete one.

Same here. I kept buying but so far only got two; one has fungus and one has stiff focus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I should be buying 52BB's, perhaps because I have only a single copy and mine's a 52B. So, maybe I need more . . . I've been on a similar rant with Nikon 55mm f/3.5 Micro Nikkors. I have three of them, one which I've owned for over 30 years (almost as long as I've owned my 52B), but the other two 55s I bought because I thought they were selling for too cheap -- around $40. And then I finally found an AIs 55/2.8, which sorta put a pause in my buying urges. But back on topic -- since I don't own a BB, I feel the urge.