Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 to EOS adapter for Zeiss Flektogon 35 2.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: M42 to EOS adapter for Zeiss Flektogon 35 2.4 Reply with quote

I have bought Flektogon 35 2.4 recently and am enjoying taking macro shots for now because with my M42/EOS adapter it won't focus on anything past 1 meter. The adapter works fine with the Takumar lens, but I guess Flektogon is different. I'd appreciate if somebody could recommend an inexpensive adapter on eBay that works. I don't need AF confirmation. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be pot luck. I've got adapters that behave in a similar way with different lenses. I had some silver ones from Roxen once (M42-EOS) which worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not sure about that... The focus is too far from normal. It is supposed to focus at 19cm minimum, but i can get it focused at 5cm, as if it was attached to a macro tube. It's exciting as if I was shooting with a microscope, but that's not why I bought it for. I wonder if I just need to send it back to the seller, or perhaps try to open and fix it (if it's not too difficult). Here is a shot taken wide open from 5cm distance:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to be something wrong - maybe a reversed element or incorrect infinity setting in the lens (or perhaps the little rear element has come lose and is out of position) - it takes 12mm of extension tubes to bring close focus down to 5cm on my flek 35. It is easy enough to take the back off to access the rear element but I didn't dare go any deeper than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:
Well, I am not sure about that... The focus is too far from normal. It is supposed to focus at 19cm minimum, but i can get it focused at 5cm ....

How are you measuring the distance ? AFAIK the 19 cm refers to the distance between the subject and the film/sensor plane. If you are measuring from the front of the lens that could account for some of the difference. So your measured distance = 5 cm. Length of lens at close focus position ~ 6.5 cm. Lens flange-sensor distance ~ 4.5 cm. Total = 16 cm - which is not too far away from 19cm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right - I was measuring distance from the front element, which was incorrect - still learning...

Anyway, it was a problem with the lens, not the adapter. Somebody before me took it apart and assembled improperly so that the rear element was 2mm farther from the camera than it should be. I was able to reassemble it correctly so that it focuses at infinity. Lost super-macro capabilities (at one point I assembled it so that it could focus at mere 2cm between the front element and the subject), but as a bonus cleaned up the focusing ring so that it now moves much more smoothly.

Here are some pictures of the proper alignment so that other folks who open Flektogon 35 2.4 don't spend as much time as I did. Basically there are two rings that are screwed one on another and then together screwed on the lens barrel, and all 3 parts must be aligned and rotated to to the right degree to get correct focusing distance.

A quick test:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for detailed guide!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 to EOS adapter for Zeiss Flektogon 35 2.4 Reply with quote

pirius wrote:
I have bought Flektogon 35 2.4 recently and am enjoying taking macro shots for now because with my M42/EOS adapter it won't focus on anything past 1 meter. The adapter works fine with the Takumar lens, but I guess Flektogon is different. I'd appreciate if somebody could recommend an inexpensive adapter on eBay that works. I don't need AF confirmation. Thanks!

Search for seller big -is:AF Confirm Lens Adapter Mount M42, this is the one i use, i also have a cheaper non AF they both work fine on my Flektogon.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ,sorry for old thread revival, but I have one strange question to ask. I have done the same mistake like is described here, I put the focus barrel wrongly so the focus was from 1cm to 1.5m, but no further. I realised my mistake and fixed it, the lens focuses now everything, but the strange thing is that it goes beyond the infinity a lot and the written distance numbers don't line up with my observation. The focal distance according to the numbers is from 0.2 to 3m then infinity. Mine is focusing like that:
written/actual distance :
0.2/0.2
0.3/1m
0.34/around 1.5-2m
0.7/10m?
1m/15-50m
3m/infinity.
over 3m/beyond inifinity.

The focusing is precise and I have no problems with pictures, no differences between focus-screen and sensor sharpness, AF confirm ring works the same like my eye into viewfinder.
But it tickles me to wonder what is the problem?
Appreciate any ideas how to get rid of that.
BTW - AF or no-AF m42/EOS adaptors on 400D, other lenses work fine.
Regards

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really weird, i have the 35/2.4 and it works perfectly with 2 or 3 different adapters. All i can tell it is working with adapters from phototools (a german compagny), and they are not so expensive
http://cgi.ebay.fr/M42-Adapter-fur-CANON-EOS-5D-7D-30D-50D-400D-450D-500D-/390184038602?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Foto_Camcorder_Foto_Camcorderzubeh%C3%B6r_PM&hash=item5ad8c7f0ca

edit :
------
Sorry i didn't see you fixed the problem Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's an update for those who will look for reference at the later date.
pirius' advice is spot on, I would just add my few cents as well.
In my case, the focus ring was OK, but focusing helicoid was screwed improperly, so after few trials and error I came up with the solution.

1. unscrew the helicoid completely on the back side (like you would unscrew this in the direction where focus ring was).
2. There is a thread start on one of the guides (the things that prevent the barrel to unscrew itself) - don't remember which one, but it can be screwed in just one way anyway. Align this thread start with the thread start of outer barrel where the 0.9 feet (red font) mark is. Screw it in and it should be the right focusing range. If you screw it in one or more threads closer to 0.25 mark, it will focus beyond infinity, if you screw it in one or more threads closer to 0.3 mark, it will shorten the focus distance dramatically.
3. Align the focus ring like pirius says. He got it spot on.
4. put lens back together and check whether back lens is aligned with m42/EOS adapter at infinity (again like pirius says, this is one the most helpful advice I have found).
5. Check the lens in few distance ranges, mind you it can be slighlty off because of m42/EOS adapter, but no more than few degrees.
HTH
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, thank you for the guide. could you or somebody help me on closing back the top part? i don't seem to get how to reassemble the iris mechanism