Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Lens Identification - Appreciate Any suggested sources
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Leica Lens Identification - Appreciate Any suggested sources Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome TomE Welcome Turtle

pics don't appear in your first post for spam reason

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica Lens Identification - Appreciate Any suggested sou Reply with quote

TomE wrote:

It may be an Elmar. Is there any serial number on the front?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unusual knurling around the front ring, never seen a Leica lens with that pattern. The applied plate with the aperture numbers is also out of place. Wondering if this is a Russian Leica copy. Camera looks somewhat crude as well...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask the same question in the Leica-Forum (www.l-camera-forum.com); they have a specific section "Leica collectors & Historica".
My first thought was also "Russian Leica copy", but by no means I'm a Leica expert.

S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't metric, says feet. So probably not German or Russian. Maybe early Japanese copy. There is a Serenar 50/3.5 from Canon. Are these your pics? How is the camera branded?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know practically nothing of Leica lenses. Can you tell me is this original one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/384774194771
And please don't snatch it Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar is just what Leitz called their Tessar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Elmar is just what Leitz called their Tessar.

Laugh 1 Friends

At least they move the position of the aperture forward. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the Elmar is usually said to be a Tessar design, its a modification of the tessar, with the blades just behind the front element. Check where the blades are, that'll tell you definitely if it is an Elmar or not.

It doesnt look Russian though. The aperture sequence is pre-war, some Russian lenses had the same range. All the Japanese copiers of Leicas made their own versions of the Elmar: Canon, Minolta, Leotax, Nicca etc.

Puzzling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Although the Elmar is usually said to be a Tessar design, its a modification of the tessar, with the blades just behind the front element. Check where the blades are, that'll tell you definitely if it is an Elmar or not.

It doesnt look Russian though. The aperture sequence is pre-war, some Russian lenses had the same range. All the Japanese copiers of Leicas made their own versions of the Elmar: Canon, Minolta, Leotax, Nicca etc.

Puzzling

This is exactly what i though! From the photos above, it seems the aperture is right behind the front element. Friends

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBay item https://www.ebay.de/itm/384774194771 is NOT an interchangeable Leica lens. It is the lens removed from a fixed-lens Leica I camera, which was held on by screws, and was not rangefinder-coupled. It would also need to be collimated (calibrated for infinity focus) once mounted on a lens-less Leica I camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
The eBay item https://www.ebay.de/itm/384774194771 is NOT an interchangeable Leica lens. It is the lens removed from a fixed-lens Leica I camera, which was held on by screws, and was not rangefinder-coupled. It would also need to be collimated (calibrated for infinity focus) once mounted on a lens-less Leica I camera.

Thank you.