Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigmatel 135mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Sigmatel 135mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking about buying one of these. Has anyone had expereinces with them? Reviews (the few I have found) seem to suggest this is a very good lens, and hard to find.

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks
Nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, after having a Beroflex 135/1.8. I like it, because it has a very nice bokeh (sonnar derivative lens, as far as I know) and is quite sharp even at f/1.8 (if focus is right...). One example (f/1.8, Canon 5D) :

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.

Any ideas on price range of costs?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbonR, thats 1.8??? thats fabulous at 2.8 for a 135 given the DOF. any other stats on this lens, esp legnth, weight, filter size?

EDIT: over 800grams/almost 2 pounds, 80mm filter size. now im even more impressed by the posted photo! did you get a hernia taking it?! ):
tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in the late 70's. I used it for stage photography, the aperture gave that little bit more shutter speed. Shooting on 500ASA slide film gave no latitude for +/- exposure. I remember it was a beast but nice to use and extremely bright in the viewfinder. Previously I'd used a 135 f3.5. The photos I got from it were as far as I remember very good and stopped down to f4 it was pin sharp. I'd love another one. This lens had Sigma's own interchangeable mount. I used it on an Exakta RTL1000, then later on my Olympus OM1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

average price 250-300 USD I have plenty of other 135mm what I found more useful than a behemot 135mm lens I used mine once.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it went for 144 GBP. Pretty low considereing, but a) postage for me was like 80 quid and b) not sure how useful f/1.8 would be when i already have f/2.8 135mm (for a lot less money)

Thanks for the advice and comments though Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: SIGMATEL MC 1,8/135mm Reply with quote

I have the lens for quite some years and using it with CONTAX mount sucessfully with my Contax RTSIII, and with autofocus, on my Contax AX, and furthermore with adaptor, on my Canon 5DMkII. I like the glass for outside portraits and landscape!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
carbonR, thats 1.8??? thats fabulous at 2.8 for a 135 given the DOF. any other stats on this lens, esp legnth, weight, filter size?

EDIT: over 800grams/almost 2 pounds, 80mm filter size. now im even more impressed by the posted photo! did you get a hernia taking it?! ):
tony

Actually, the filter size is 77mm. You must be getting confused with the Soligor which has an 82mm filter thread. They are different optically:

The Sigmatel is a very good lens, especially at f4-f5.6 but to get the best contrast out of it you really need to use a deep lenshood on it. I use a 77mm "Sonia Brand" lenshood on it thats about 3 inches deep.

A few samples:

Crop:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: SIGMATEL MC 1,8/135mm Reply with quote

I have this lens with C/Y mount, but using it now more with an Canon EF adaptor on my 5DMkII!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: SIGMATEL MC 1,8/135mm Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:

I have this lens with C/Y mount, but using it now more with an Canon EF adaptor on my 5DMkII!

Meanwhile, after a couple of years, I still using this lens adapted on both of my FF and APS-C SONY cameras! Recently, I've tried the lens together with my C/Y ZEISS MUTAR II converter, with pleasing results! On my A6500 APS-C Sony its an compact 405mm telephoto lens!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: SIGMATEL MC 1,8/135mm Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
OPAL wrote:

Meanwhile, after a couple of years, I still using this lens adapted on both of my FF and APS-C SONY cameras! Recently, I've tried the lens together with my C/Y ZEISS MUTAR II converter, with pleasing results! On my A6500 APS-C Sony its an compact 405mm telephoto lens!

One image with f/1,8/3,6 and one image with f/5,6/11, hand held!