Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Potentially fake prewar CZ 85 f2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Potentially fake prewar CZ 85 f2? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I found a person selling a CZ 85 f2 for Contax RF, modded into LTM mount. However, I find it kinda suspicious that this lens is a real CZ so I would like your opinion on it please!

The evidences for my suspicion are:
- The lens seems to be coated, but there is no red T sign
- It's labeled 85mm instead of 8,5cm
- It's in feet instead of meter, but it seems that some exported CZ lens had this feature, any chance it's also a sign for fakeness?

Anyway, please let me know what you think from the photos below:

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by sokol_1993 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Potentially fake prewar CZ 85 f2? Reply with quote

sokol_1993 wrote:
Hi all,

I found a person selling a CZ 85 f2 for Contax RF, modded into LTM mount. However, I find it kinda suspicious that this lens is a real CZ so I would like your opinion on it please!

The evidences for my suspicion are:
- The lens seems to be coated, but there is no red T sign
- It's labeled 85mm instead of 8,5cm
- It's in feet instead of meter, but it seems that some exported CZ lens had this feature, any chance it's also a sign for fakeness?

Anyway, please let me know what you think from the photos below:

Thanks a lot![/img]

Looks multi coated, so not prewar. Aperture looks peculiar to me. The lens is said to have 15 or 12 blades, but yours has 11 and is a bit star-like.

Last edited by D1N0 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-war lenses use the name "carl zeiss jena". This is the post war Sonnar made by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
This is the post war Sonnar made by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen.

Yep. I have a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 1:2 f=85mm here which looks exactly like yours (apart from the mount of course). Mine, however is marked with distances in meter, not in feet. It has the same number and form of aperture blades as yours (eleven), the same color of coatings, and the same style of engravings.

S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Yep. I have a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 1:2 f=85mm here which looks exactly like yours (apart from the mount of course). Mine, however is marked with distances in meter, not in feet. It has the same number and form of aperture blades as yours (eleven), the same color of coatings, and the same style of engravings.

S

Ah thanks a lot guys, this make a lot of sense!

Does this lens have the same formula as the pre-war one? What's your experience with it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sokol_1993 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

S

Ah thanks a lot guys, this make a lot of sense!

Does this lens have the same formula as the pre-war one? What's your experience with it?

No, not the same computation (and coated of course). As far as I remember the pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 2/8.5cm was a [6/3] construction, while the post-war Carl Zeiss Jena was [7/3]. I'm not sure about the Zeiss Opton and Carl Zeiss post-war versions, but some experts here certainly will know it!

You may images and production numbers of the differents variants here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Pierpaolo_Ghisetti/16/00_pag.htm

Interestingly, the SN of your sample (2549581) doesn't fit into the range given by Pierpaolo Ghisetti (1128601 to 1475700). Mine is 1475596 which fits well.

S