Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Piesker Berlin Picon 400mm Æ’/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Piesker Berlin Picon 400mm Æ’/4.5 Reply with quote

So I did a search of the forums for Piesker, and it doesn't look like there's a topic for the Piesker Berlin Picon 400mm Æ’/4.5 yet, so I thought I would start out by sharing three edited images I took with the lens on a Canon EOS M6 Mark II. It's a pretty simple lens, with only two elements mounted in front of the 20-blade aperture, and the rest of the lens is basically a hollow tube with a tripod and M42 mount. The glass on mine was a bit dirty, but cleaned up very easily. I also had to cover up some peeling material inside the integral hood using some black painter's tape.

Images of the lens itself and unprocessed raw exports coming soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got permission from the seller to post the images they took for the listing, since I forgot to take photos of the condition of the lens before working on it:

My own photos of the lens itself are still pending my getting a little free time to take them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these sitting in its box in the closet in my lens room. Just a huge thing. They come up for sale on e-bay rarely and prices are all over the map. Good to see one getting some use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have one of these sitting in its box in the closet in my lens room. Just a huge thing. They come up for sale on e-bay rarely and prices are all over the map. Good to see one getting some use.

Yeah, length-wise it's definitely up there, the 90mm diameter is pretty large too. I don't find it especially heavy though, I would consider it hand-holdable for myself at higher shutter speeds if my copy was easier to focus.

The lens wasn't even on my radar until I ran across it discounted from $100 to $35, and then the seller knocked off another $5.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, time for a few photos of the lens itself.

First up we have the entire lens. I haven't measured the length yet, but you can see it's quite long.

Taking a look at the side, we can see the minimum aperture is f22, and it uses a preset aperture with a locking lever instead of a second preset ring. Focus throw is nearly 360 degrees from infinity to the minimum focus distance of a quite long 20 feet.

The lens came with an M42 mount that is locked in place by a large nut. No idea if other mounts were available, but it would be easy to swap out.

The two elements are 90mm in diameter, don't appear to have any coating, and you can see the huge iris behind them clearly.

Twenty aperture blades keep it pretty round when stopped down, but there's some kind of scalloping going on stopped down all the way to f22. I'll have to check if it does that at wider apertures.

The front of the lens simply screws off by hand with no tools. The front contains both of the only two glass elements, which appear to be air separated. The huge iris is easily accessible now as well. There is a little oil on the blades of my copy that should be very easy to clean. You can also see my somewhat slipshod application of black painter's tape to cover up the peeling interior of the hood.

A closer shot of the iris. It's not surprising there's so much dust in hear since the rear of the lens is just a hollow tube.

Closer shot of the elements from behind.

The minimum focus distance of 20 feet was far too long for the sample shots I took of birds, so I added a helicoid to the rear. If I can find a way to shorten the body of the lens (perhaps with a shorter M42 mount attachment) I'd like to keep one on it permanently...if I decide to keep it.

Some shots of the labeling.

Last edited by Paragon19 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lovely documentation and sample pictures here- didn't realise it was uncoated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting old lens, thanks for posting the info. Love these big old iris's and zebra livery. It will be 40cm long at infinity focus given that its not a telephoto, extending for closer focus. Its optically similar to my novoflex (tho' thats a triplet), that has a lot of focus extension.
Bird pics don't look that great tbh, but you need to try to take some very careful ones to really see the best the lens can do: live view focus, remote shutter etc. Like the novoflex the lens will be better stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Interesting old lens, thanks for posting the info. Love these big old iris's and zebra livery. It will be 40cm long at infinity focus given that its not a telephoto, extending for closer focus. Its optically similar to my novoflex (tho' thats a triplet), that has a lot of focus extension.
Bird pics don't look that great tbh, but you need to try to take some very careful ones to really see the best the lens can do: live view focus, remote shutter etc. Like the novoflex the lens will be better stopped down.

No I haven't been especially thrilled with the shots I've gotten out of it either.

All of these were shot from a tripod with a gimbal head, focused using focus peaking, and I'm pretty sure they were all 1/1000s or shorter. I did stop the lens down to f5.6 and f8 for some of these shots, and shot a frisbee in the yard to mark aperture changes, but I haven't had time to figure out which ones are which yet, or the settings for each photo. Rawtherapee can't pull EXIF data from CR3 files yet I and I haven't had time to go through them to figure out which photos were at what aperture since I've been working a lot of overtime. I'm not even sure these are the best photos from the day, they're just the ones I selected when I had a few spare minutes to edit and export them.

I plan to try using it a few more times to see if I can get any better results, especially stopping down to around f11. The M6 Mk II I'm using is still pretty new to me and I'm still adjusting to it's focus peaking. Looking at the photo of the sparrow it looks like I didn't nail focus on the eye, since the feathers on his breast look like they're on the focal plane instead, so I could easily have front or back focused for the other two shots. I'll have to figure out the sweet spot for the lens and camera when using peaking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is really cool!

Obviously it doesn't excel at super-sharp wildlife photos but seeing as it's only two elements to begin with, I really wonder if you couldn't have some fun by turning it into a monocle lens or flipping one of the elements. Bet you could get some really interesting pictorialist-style (aka artsy) photographs out of it. Never seen anyone do that with a super long lens… yet!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have several piesker lenses and most are pretty good if the optics aren't foggy or whatnot. I have to confess I have never really spent much time with the 400. I will try to make a point of it soon. The weather is sunny (but really cold!) all of a sudden.